Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: When 😈ing are you straight....or not so much?  (Read 12731 times)

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
Re: When 😈ing are you straight....or not so much?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2019, 12:08:56 PM »
Funny story, only once in over 1000 shows
I had to pee so bad I got up left my seat went to the
bathroom walked back to my seat all in 90 seconds.
My friends thought I was having a heart
attack because I never leave my seat for anything!
Having friends there made it easy to patch my recording later.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2019, 02:04:46 PM »
Before and during shows I don't drink. I'm there to do get the job done. Stealth taping - audio and video - is hard work.

After the show I usually drink a few beers.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2019, 02:07:57 PM »
I do not like to drink or eat anything before or during a show, but sometimes I'll make exceptions but only to the point where I will not have to go to the restroom.

I do have a favorite Santana recording from back in the late 70's or early 80's when Schaeffer or Dr Pepper or Miller had moved their NYC concerts to the pier. It was in my "less sedate" years and I used to like to record from the back of the pier where you had a few rows of bleachers and could get up above the crowd noise. At some point your hear a little bit of wind noise followed by the music suddenly somewhat muffled followed by better clarity with a bit of wind noise and then the sound is back to normal. That was the march to the porta-san, a few moments of solitude (holding the mic up to the little window vent) and the march back to my seat. Every time I hear that spot in the recording I can visualize the moment as clear as if it happened yesterday.  ;D :headphones:

The rule of field recording: The recording takes precedence over everything else, find a way...  ;D
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2019, 05:58:26 PM »
Those were the Grateful Dead taping section days.  Then it was who could get the most wasted it seemed.  I still remember a Greek Theater show when a taper with a PCM-F1 and TLM 170's hooked something up wrong and next thing I saw was smoke rising from his gear.    Running  >:D none of that works.

Wonder if that was the same taper who liked my TC-153SD at Shoreline '87 and offered to patch me in. Like a fool I said no thanks and that I wanted to use my own (shitty) Superscope EC7 Cardioids! I've never seen that source circulate. He had Neumann TLM-170s >PCM.

I am straight as an arrow when  >:D taping. Don't drink (don't want to pee.) I too am old and have a reduced-capacity bladder. (It's not that I Use Old Neumanns. I'M OLD...and I use Neumanns!) ;)
I gave up smoking at taping events years ago because of making too many mistakes. Same with Mushrooms at OTS Dead shows! 12/28/90 Oakland was a DISASTER because of mushrooms! Never again.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2019, 06:14:40 PM »
Those were the Grateful Dead taping section days.  Then it was who could get the most wasted it seemed.  I still remember a Greek Theater show when a taper with a PCM-F1 and TLM 170's hooked something up wrong and next thing I saw was smoke rising from his gear.    Running  >:D none of that works.

Wonder if that was the same taper who liked my TC-153SD at Shoreline '87 and offered to patch me in. Like a fool I said no thanks and that I wanted to use my own (shitty) Superscope EC7 Cardioids! I've never seen that source circulate. He had Neumann TLM-170s >PCM.

I am straight as an arrow when  >:D taping. Don't drink (don't want to pee.) I too am old and have a reduced-capacity bladder. (It's not that I Use Old Neumanns. I'M OLD...and I use Neumanns!) ;)
I gave up smoking at taping events years ago because of making too many mistakes. Same with Mushrooms at OTS Dead shows! 12/28/90 Oakland was a DISASTER because of mushrooms! Never again.

Pretty sure it was the same guy.  I remember him being a real nice guy who "had too much fun",

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2019, 02:37:07 AM »
wow.

just wow.
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2019, 03:47:39 PM »
i lose a lot more things when taping drunk. gear, recordings, you name it,
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline sec1968

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2019, 12:59:52 PM »
A couple shows I got lucky and the person next to me was able to hold my recorder while I took a restroom break. Most non-open shows anymore, I take my camera in it's small bag and config that up so it sits on a rail or table where i'm sitting, then it's almost like an open show AFA movement etc.
tapersec1968 (at) gmail.com

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/sec1968

Offline tapjunkie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2019, 08:57:52 PM »
Never drink anything before a show.  Once stealthed the Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Brown, Bruce Hornsby Tour at Shoreline by myself.  3 Hours and 40 minutes without drinking, moving or having to go to bathroom.  Don't think I could do that now.

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2019, 09:04:13 PM »
Strictly L25 so I literally become a human mic stand and look crazy enough to keep peeps away  :lol:
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline firemt66

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2019, 02:39:13 PM »
Your friend of mine name Joe lost the couple decks at shows  From drinking too much....

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2019, 12:24:58 AM »
Never drink anything before a show.  Once stealthed the Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Brown, Bruce Hornsby Tour at Shoreline by myself.  3 Hours and 40 minutes without drinking, moving or having to go to bathroom.  Don't think I could do that now.

Was that the '99 mini tour where David Lindley & Wally Ingram opened? I did that one at the Santa Barbara County Bowl with my Neumnanns. It was way over 3 hours. I know my 54 year old bladder couldn't handle that now!!! (I never drink anything at least three hours before a show.)

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2019, 12:47:58 AM »
Discretion is the better part . . . .  And all that.  I only tape open and try and moderate my intake during shows.  I limit it to a beer or two max with nothing before the show.  Even at 65, my urinary tract seems to be holding out pretty well after a tune up.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2019, 01:43:24 AM »
Your friend of mine name Joe lost the couple decks at shows  From drinking too much....

my friend of yours? ;) not sure i know a taper named joe
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline firemt66

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2019, 07:33:54 AM »
My friend Joe from connecticut

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com