Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CA-14 Omni Configurations Up? Front? Side?  (Read 1981 times)

Offline huskerbrewdad

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • The Glowstick Warrior Armory
CA-14 Omni Configurations Up? Front? Side?
« on: May 18, 2010, 01:28:14 PM »
So, I am getting two pairs of CA-14's, one omni one card. 

I will be recording mostly in a small theatre where I can set up pretty much dead center next to the sound booth.  Loud, electrnica shows mostly.  Am I right in thinking about just using the cards in DIN for this?

And then, I will be taping the same band at a local festival downtown, again I can get reasonably close.  I was thinking of running the cards DIN and then the omnis spaced to either side.  Here's the thing.  I have seen a lot of pics of rigs with spaced omnis with the mic facing up, forward, or straight out to the side.  Difference being?  If I want as little crowd noise as possible just forward or PATS? And run the omnis like 10db lower than the cards?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: CA-14 Omni Configurations Up? Front? Side?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 01:36:23 PM »
Even though Omni's are not technically directional, I still find it's best to point them in the general direction the sound is coming from.

When I've run Card's + Omni's, I always ran the cards DIN and the Omni's either split about 4-6 feet (as far as I could my 4060's depending on height) or mounted to a J-Disc. I preferred the Omni's split, but I never did any actual testing at the same show.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: CA-14 Omni Configurations Up? Front? Side?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:58:22 AM »
It's funny, I can never find any information on Church Audio microphones when I google them - plenty of talk in forums, but nothing I can find on the net.  ???

I was trying to find the frequency response and polar-pattern of the mics you mention.

Yes - omnis pick up all round, but they do tend to attenuate the top end as you turn them due to the size of the mic.

Small mics attenuate less than larger mics.

If the mic. is a diffuse-field omni with a treble boost - then using it off-axis in the near-field will bring the response to more flat (I did this with a piano using Neumann KM 183-D in the near-field).

How much you turn will depend on the frequency response, polar-pattern and your ears.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com