Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The Perfect Stealth Rig ??  (Read 46333 times)

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
The Perfect Stealth Rig ??
« on: August 14, 2004, 02:46:13 PM »
Call me curious.  Actually, I'm thinking big and looking ahead.
What is your idea of the perfect stealth rig? 8)
(If you can include ballpark prices, that would be great!)
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: The Perfect Stealth Rig ??
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 02:52:35 PM »
You'll likely get a whole slew of different answers as we all have different preferences: tolerances on size/bulk, battery/power consumption, and of course sonic signatures of our mics/pres/ADCs/playback systems, etc.  For me, the perfect stealth gear is:

Schoeps MK41 (hypers) / Schoeps KCY 250/2Ig > Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 > Sony D100

Ballpark price: around three grand (and reflecting on that price, damnit I've gotta get out and stealth more!).  I've thought about throwing a modSBM-1 in the mix and may do so in the future, but am not sure I want to schlep around another piece of gear in my crotch.  :P

Actually, I take it back - best stealth setup is MK41 / KC5 / CMC6 > V3 > NJB3, but I can only swing that setup when I don't have to crotch the gear!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Robby Grossman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • 17' stand, c1000s > digimod ua5 > jb3 :-D
    • http://www.robbygrossman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 02:53:09 PM »
Call me curious.  Actually, I'm thinking big and looking ahead.
What is your idea of the perfect stealth rig? 8)
(If you can include ballpark prices, that would be great!)

Personally, I'd say CMC-4's clipped on visor or hat > Batt Box > MD (or JB3 if you can afford the bulkiness/size) would work pretty well.  If you can afford it and still stealth it, maybe Batt Box > AD20 > md/jb3 ?

Figure ~$400, without the AD20.
--Robby
AIM: RobbyPlaysGuitar

17' stand, c1000s > digimod ua5 > jb3 :-D

Offline Robby Grossman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 02:54:21 PM »
You'll likely get a whole slew of different answers as we all have different preferences: tolerances on size/bulk, battery/power consumption, and of course sonic signatures of our mics/pres/ADCs/playback systems, etc.  For me, the perfect stealth gear is:

Schoeps MK41 (hypers) / Schoeps KCY 250/2Ig > Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 > Sony D100

Ballpark price: around three grand (and reflecting on that price, damnit I've gotta get out and stealth more!).  I've thought about throwing a modSBM-1 in the mix and may do so in the future, but am not sure I want to schlep around another piece of gear in my crotch.  :P

Actually, I take it back - best stealth setup is MK41 / KC5 / CMC6 > V3 > NJB3, but I can only swing that setup when I don't have to crotch the gear!
Wow, could you really get all that in?  That's way better than my stealth setup, but I always worry about getting busted and walking out with nothing, so I go as small as possible.
--Robby

Offline Josephine

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 03:01:05 PM »
I'm looking for something really compact.  Most of the venues I go to search and have metal detectors, so I'm interested in equipment that will be easy to get through security.  The smaller and easier to explain away, the better.  Going undetected is probably the most important factor for me.  Simplicity would be another great plus (especially at my recording stage now lol).  Of course, its sound quality is important, too.

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 03:04:08 PM »
Wow, could you really get all that in?  That's way better than my stealth setup, but I always worry about getting busted and walking out with nothing, so I go as small as possible.

Yup.  The stealth setup (Schoeps MK41 (hypers) / Schoeps KCY 250/2Ig > Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 > Sony D100)  is easy - fits down my pants.  Haven't had to go through a metal detector yet, but I know a buddy with the exact same setup who's gotten through detectors (don't know if he didn't set them off or told them he had a cock ring or what).

Getting the full setup in (MK41 / KC5 / CMC6 > V3 > NJB3) is easy with a small fanny pack if they're not patting down.
I'm looking for something really compact.

If you can get into a good location, it's tough to beat the size/performance of something like DPA 4061 > MPS-something-or-other battery box, forget the model name) > D100/M1 or MD or NJB3.

I'm sure someone will chime in with the Sound Professionals and/or AT mic stealth setups as well - great size/performance on a budget.
Roland R-05

Offline Robby Grossman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 03:04:58 PM »
I'm looking for something really compact.  Most of the venues I go to search and have metal detectors, so I'm interested in equipment that will be easy to get through security.
This is why I like MD for stealth.  You can just plug in headphones and then you don't even have to hide it.
--Robby

Offline Josephine

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 03:16:02 PM »
If you can get into a good location

Ahhh, which brings up another question.  Just what is a "good" location?
I was under the impression that the best place to record from was a ways back and centered. 
However, here I've read alot about getting up close to one of the stacks.
Although I do plan on some indoor shows, the majority of my recording attempts will be
at outside venues, such as The Greek Theatre or the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles.
Where are the best seats  ??

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 03:27:48 PM »
If you can get into a good location

Ahhh, which brings up another question.  Just what is a "good" location?
I was under the impression that the best place to record from was a ways back and centered. 
However, here I've read alot about getting up close to one of the stacks.

Depends on the venue and your listening preferences.

I've never been a big fan of stealth stack recordings.  They just sound flat to me, no air, no space, kinda like a soundboard.  A ways back and centered provides some of the sonic characteristics I enjoy in most live recordings - image, soundstage, a sense of space.  Best bet - try both and see which you prefer.

Sorry, can't help with seat locations for the venues you listed, but usually somewhere between 10-30 rows back works well.  All depends on how far the stacks are split, etc.  Check the Venue forum - maybe someone has commented on the sweet spots for those venues.
Roland R-05

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2004, 07:20:18 PM »
Hey Brian, out of curiosity how big is the Sanosax compared to a PS2/AD20 combo?

I can't get both of those in + all my other stuff. Recording with AT853s and phantom power modules almost seems like recording with actives and bodies, but minus the great sound.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2004, 07:26:58 PM »
akg 414 c-uls > nagra iv-s reel to reel from FOB!! 

now that's entertainment.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2004, 07:50:45 PM »
Hey Brian, out of curiosity how big is the Sanosax compared to a PS2/AD20 combo?

I can't get both of those in + all my other stuff. Recording with AT853s and phantom power modules almost seems like recording with actives and bodies, but minus the great sound.

Lazy bum!  :P
 Sax:  5.75" x 3.40" x 1.60" | XLR ins on 5.75" x 1.60" side, outs on opposite 5.75" x 1.60" side
 PS2:  4.00" x 3.00" x 1.25" | XLR ins on 3.00" x 1.25" side, outs via cable from the other 3.00" x 1.25" side
AD20:  5.75" x 3.00" x 1.25" | XLR ins on 3.00" x 1.25" side, coax/optical out on 5.75" x 1.25" side
Adding right-angle connectors to the inputs increases the 3.40" dimension about +1".  On my unit the XLR inputs are replaced with a 5-pin binder plug that matches my KCY cable.  For outputs, I always use the 1/8" stereo out.  If all this makes no sense, check out the pics on the Sonosax website or in my Rig Pics post (the XLR ins attach in the same place as the KCY cable from my Schoeps caps), or in Dr. Phob's Rig Pics post (you can see the 1/8" stereo line-out, the XLR ins attach on the same face plate).
Roland R-05

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2004, 08:18:22 PM »

Sax:  5.75" x 3.40" x 1.60" | XLR ins on 5.75" x 1.60" side, outs on opposite 5.75" x 1.60" side
 PS2:  4.00" x 3.00" x 1.25" | XLR ins on 3.00" x 1.25" side, outs via cable from the other 3.00" x 1.25" side
AD20:  5.75" x 3.00" x 1.25" | XLR ins on 3.00" x 1.25" side, coax/optical out on 5.75" x 1.25" side
Adding right-angle connectors to the inputs increases the 3.40" dimension about +1".  On my unit the XLR inputs are replaced with a 5-pin binder plug that matches my KCY cable.  For outputs, I always use the 1/8" stereo out.  If all this makes no sense, check out the pics on the Sonosax website or in my Rig Pics post (the XLR ins attach in the same place as the KCY cable from my Schoeps caps), or in Dr. Phob's Rig Pics post (you can see the 1/8" stereo line-out, the XLR ins attach on the same face plate).

Lazy and on dial up what can I say.  ::) Thanks, + to you.

I know I'll end up getting an MP2 (if I can find one) or a sax, PS2/AD20 is almost too bulky.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2004, 08:21:00 PM »

I know I'll end up getting an MP2 (if I can find one) or a sax, PS2/AD20 is almost too bulky.

Ewwwww...dial-up.  Even though I was kidding around, I take it back!  Ugh...I don't even remember dial-up days any longer.  MP2 is definitely a great option, and a heckuva lot less expensive than the Sax.
Roland R-05

Offline Josephine

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2004, 08:29:07 PM »
Guys ~ what's an MP2?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 09:29:23 PM by Josephine »

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2004, 08:40:31 PM »
The MP-2 from Sound Devices is a studio-quality two-channel, portable, stereo microphone preamplifier. With its impressive audio performance and comprehensive list of features including headphone monitoring, metering and MS Stereo Matrix, the MP-2 is a flexible front-end device for professional studio and field applications. Studio, location, and live music engineers value the compact size and ability to withstand extremes in the field. The MP-2 combines rugged mechanical and electronic construction, compact size, and high-quality components. The MP-2 allows no-compromise performance for any application.

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mp2master.htm

It's discontinued, but they come up for sale used in the yard sale from time to time, everyone's says it's a great little box.

Offline MATTZS

• Black Sheep Of Taping
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team Audix!!
    • list
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2004, 09:54:32 PM »

I use the MIC 2496 covers all the bases, phantom, gain, adc.
Dimensions: 5-1/16" L x 3" W x 1-3/8" H
HERE
I like the sound a lot better with my micros than the ps2/ad20 combo.

STEALTH = M1290-HC>MIC 2496>MT 24/96
SUPER STEALTH = SP-CMC-8>SP-MT-MIC-PWR
>MT 24/96
also have:
PS-2, AD-20, JB3

Offline Jeff F

• Taperssection All-Star
  • BRING THE SNOW!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2004, 10:18:10 PM »

Yup.  The stealth setup (Schoeps MK41 (hypers) / Schoeps KCY 250/2Ig > Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 > Sony D100)  is easy - fits down my pants.  Haven't had to go through a metal detector yet, but I know a buddy with the exact same setup who's gotten through detectors (don't know if he didn't set them off or told them he had a cock ring or what).

Getting the full setup in (MK41 / KC5 / CMC6 > V3 > NJB3) is easy with a small fanny pack if they're not patting down.

Uhm, yea, thanks for that there Brian.   :P  I've only had one encounter with a wand with this set-up, but they had no clue how to use such a device.  I did prepare and have bunches of metal in my pokets - change, lots of keys, 2 cell phones, pager, and my glasses case outside is metal.

I'll even wear a bigger shirt, twist the pack around, and walk on in if they aren't patting or just checking visible bags.

I'm looking for something really compact.

If you can get into a good location, it's tough to beat the size/performance of something like DPA 4061 > MPS-something-or-other battery box, forget the model name) > D100/M1 or MD or NJB3.

I'm sure someone will chime in with the Sound Professionals and/or AT mic stealth setups as well - great size/performance on a budget.

Yea, I ran AT853 > battery box > D8 then later D100 for nearly 2.5 years.  The D8 is a big deck to lug in, but the D100 is much smaller and has already been believed to be a walkman (got caught adjusting it pre-show and told the usher it simply was a walkman *phew*).  This set-up made me master my tapes using T-Racks which really made the good tapes sound even better.  Another friend runs AT mics with a Deneke (sp?) pre-amp that has a built-in analog-digital converter.
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Schoeps mk41/mk21 > KCY 250/5i > SX-M2-LS/2 (Lemosax) > Sony M10 (open)
Schoeps mk41/mk21 > KCY 250/2i > SX-M2-LS/2 (Lemosax) > Sony M10 (stealth)

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2004, 10:44:26 PM »
HERE

While I have considered getting the mic2496 a few things hold me back.

I just don't know if it can handle high spl situaions (rock shows). Without bass roll-off it seems that the AD20 likes to clip, I don't know how much better the mic2496 can be. I do like it's size though. I guess it has yet to be seen how well it performs, but thats great your running it, +T.

Offline MATTZS

• Black Sheep Of Taping
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Team Audix!!
    • list
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2004, 10:10:14 AM »

HERE

Forgot to mention the easy to read meter's. Green light -12 db, red light -1.5 db. much better than the jb3 meters.
STEALTH = M1290-HC>MIC 2496>MT 24/96
SUPER STEALTH = SP-CMC-8>SP-MT-MIC-PWR
>MT 24/96
also have:
PS-2, AD-20, JB3

Offline plover

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2004, 10:42:40 PM »
akg 61s>actives>jk labs dvc>mod sbm-1>d8

This is what I run and this rig is sweet.  Its so small and sounds so damn good.  Around $2500 give or take.   

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2004, 10:55:12 PM »
>>Schoeps MK41 (hypers) / Schoeps KCY 250/2Ig > Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 > Sony D100<<

does the rear lobe of the hypers hurt in a stealth situation though?  i love the fact that my cards have very great rear rejection.  hypers would pick up the guy yapping behind you more, woudln't they?

and i think 4022s are the greatest stealth mics ever

4022 > sd 722! :)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2004, 11:01:34 PM »
>>Schoeps MK41 (hypers) / Schoeps KCY 250/2Ig > Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 > Sony D100<<

does the rear lobe of the hypers hurt in a stealth situation though?  i love the fact that my cards have very great rear rejection.  hypers would pick up the guy yapping behind you more, woudln't they?

Theoretically, yeah.  I've only run the stealth rig a couple times, I've been slacking.  But I've run the 41s at head-height many a time and haven't encountered any issues with the rear lobe.
Roland R-05

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2004, 11:37:39 PM »

come on, you know the story! ;D

Offline seekup40

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2004, 07:40:26 PM »
ive stealthed with

at853s > battery box > ad-20 > d8

i was very satisified with the results

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2004, 03:39:42 AM »
853 > mp2 > m1/d100 rocks the boat although mod460 > m148 > ad1000 > DAT is rocking too if you can swing it

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2004, 03:53:15 AM »
853 > mp2 > m1/d100 rocks the boat although mod460 > m148 > ad1000 > DAT is rocking too if you can swing it

agreed schwilly.

i run at853>at8533>mv100>m1 and recently ran ak40>lc3>km100>mv100>m1 and ak40>lc3>km100>mp-2>m1.
once i got past entry, working the rigs were basically the same.

a buddy in atlanta has a m248 brick and wants to get into stealthing :) 
for less than $300, i'll set him up with at853>at8533.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

taperkat

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2004, 07:19:03 PM »
i really want a pair of 4022's eventually, what's the best other setup to go with? (have an m1)

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2004, 08:13:11 PM »
The good thing about investing in the compact microphone or caps (4022 or schoeps) is that they can be mounted on a stand and used easily in non-stealth situations.  The dpa minatures or core sound version sound very good and are very small.  Your mileage will be greatly improved by getting an external preamp which improves the quality over the built in preamps in the DAT or MD.

Offline bobstammers

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 01:38:26 AM »
In the 13 1/2 years since this topic was posted things have undoubtably changed.

So, what is now considered to be the 'perfect stealth rig?

Gear suggestions only please, techniques only via PM, dont wanna see the Hoff!

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:19:08 AM by bobstammers »
Mics        : Naiant AKG CK63 Actives, DPA 4061, SP-CMC-25, CA11c, CA11 IIo,CA14c, CA14o, CAFS, AT933 (4.7k)
Pre         : Tinybox, PIPSqueak, CA9100, Ugly II pre, CA Ugly II 3 wire pre
Batt Box : MM-CBM-Mini
Decks     : H340 rockboxed, R09HR, M10 x 2

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 02:58:43 AM »
Staying away from techniques and methods due to trolls occasionally lurk here. Choose some good mic capsules (many options) > actives > ipa > pcm10. Quality sound and small in size. Down the road you can add mic bodies and an all in one deck (or a pre) for a full size rig.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:02:52 AM by MBHOTAPER »

jcable77

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 03:34:26 AM »
In the 13 1/2 years since this topic was posted things have undoubtably changed.

Thanks in advance
From the looks of the gear you have your in pretty good shape.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 08:40:20 AM »
Assuming someone can't get their hands on an M10 or R-05 these days, it looks like the Zoom F1 and/or Roland R-07 are going to be the current stealth decks of choice.  We definitely don't have enough info on the Roland yet, and there are still some unanswered questions about the F1, though.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

ilduclo

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2018, 08:54:40 AM »
M10 has the giant red eye of Sauron. Jeez, hard to believe...

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 11:39:50 AM »
CCM4>Tinybox>M10 has been good to me.  Super long battery life on Tinybox and M10 both and is a rig about as small as I have ever seen.

I miss Josephine and her contributions.  I wish she would come back.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 11:56:42 AM »
I have what I would consider the perfect stealth rig.   Schoeps MK4/MK41, actives, NBox Platinum, Tascam DR-2D.

Offline bobstammers

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 01:33:27 PM »

Thanks in advance
From the looks of the gear you have your in pretty good shape.

Yes, I guess I am, itchy for an upgrade though and there seems to be a few Schoeps caps coming though the yard and it got me thinking and doing a little research.

For ease of security etc I tend to always reach for the SPCMC25 and my pipsqueak but I have started to record with 2 rigs again so if I can stealth with 2 I guess I should go back to the TB and AKGs for a while  :hmmm:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:36:40 PM by bobstammers »
Mics        : Naiant AKG CK63 Actives, DPA 4061, SP-CMC-25, CA11c, CA11 IIo,CA14c, CA14o, CAFS, AT933 (4.7k)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2018, 02:29:17 PM »

Thanks in advance
you already own the "perfect rig" based on your sig
Mics > tb > m10
I would do the akg or dpa
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 02:51:44 PM »
I have what I would consider the perfect stealth rig.   Schoeps MK4/MK41, actives, NBox Platinum, Tascam DR-2D.

mk4v/41/21>Nbox P>M-10. The 21 are obviously for open taping...

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2018, 03:15:39 PM »
Haven't used it yet, but will soon be running DPA > D:vice > iphone. Pretty excited about the potential there...

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 05:14:07 PM »
The very smallest I have is B3/4.7 mod > BB > M10.  Best is Nbob  > Mk. 41 > Nbox > M10

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2018, 06:03:14 PM »
Haven't used it yet, but will soon be running DPA > D:vice > iphone. Pretty excited about the potential there...

Pleas share your results. I'm really curious about that setup!
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline Justy Gyee

• Taperssection Member
    • justys llama
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 06:06:44 PM »
CCM4>Tinybox>M10 has been good to me.  Super long battery life on Tinybox and M10 both and is a rig about as small as I have ever seen.

Shes fully retired from the hobby.
Sold off her gear years ago.
if it aint broke, don't fix it

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2018, 10:22:58 AM »
One vote for mk4v caps>Nbob actives> Naiant IPA>tiny deck of your choice. I personally really like the m10 but some prefer the Edirol. This can all be had for around 2500 new and you should be able to find much of it used here. As for why I prefer the vertical capsules for lo pro, PM me if you like.

I'd add that I like the sound of this setup as much as I liked dpa 4022>Oade m148>Oade warm mod marantz 661. The added warmth was necessary imo behind the dpas but not the Schoeps. Plenty warm to my ears.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline bobstammers

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2018, 02:59:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply's guys and for the PMs I have shared.

Appreciated.

Offline meursault

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2018, 07:29:02 PM »
Hello. I would like to ask you if there is a recorder like Sony m10 without mics and headphone?

Offline DATBoy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2018, 10:22:05 PM »

Shes fully retired from the hobby.
Sold off her gear years ago.

For someone who didn't tape for so many years like some people here, she actually did some great work.

Offline Psinka

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Megamozg Team
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2018, 02:40:51 AM »
Hello. I would like to ask you if there is a recorder like Sony m10 without mics and headphone?

New Zoom F1?
Got mine a couple days ago and will test it on the gig tomorrow  ::)

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2018, 11:27:01 PM »
Schoeps ccm4>tinybox>r05
Dpa4022>sonosax>r05
Dpa4061>mma6000>r05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2018, 10:06:50 AM »
Mics>NBox>recorder is the ultimate for many folks around here.

Schoeps ccm4>tinybox>r05
Dpa4022>sonosax>r05
Dpa4061>mma6000>r05

To me the microphones and preamp/mic-powering-box are the key elements. Use whatever small recorder you like or have on hand behind that: R-05, M10, Tascam, Olympus, whatever.. F1 would seem to be the current champ for maximum tininess potential.  Dr2d works for me (no other comparable option for 4 ch) and the original R-09 prior to that.

MMA6000 is overly large for stealth IMHO.  CA-UGLY works just as well with the DPA miniatures, is 1/4 the size, and passes most metal detectors.  I made that switch 10 years ago.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2018, 10:10:02 AM »
^
The obvious exception to this the new DPA d:Vice preamp with USB out to a smartphone, eliminating a separate recorder. 

It is probably the most stealthy arrangement currently available as the preamp is a small, flat puck and the recorder is the phone.  I don't know of anyone here who's done it yet, but the new DPA MMP-GR/GS modular cable which allows non-miniature modular DPA capsules to be used into the d:Vice should also allow those capsules to work with any PIP battery box or miniature preamp that provides low-voltage mic power.  Strong potential for an ultimate stealth rig there.

So one could do something like this:

DPA4015>MMP-GR/GS cable>d:Vice>phone
or
DPA4015>MMP-GR/GS cable>whatever miniature preamp batt/box>whatever miniature recorder
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2018, 10:56:11 AM »
^

I love my DPA d:screet 4060 mics > d:vice > iPhone.  Personally, it's pretty much fool proof and can be used anywhere without issue.  Granted, I'm recording the drunk asshat next to me but if I'm using Schoeps MK41s > nBox > recorder, I'm also recording said drunk wook so it really makes little difference to me.  I prefer not to be a human mic stand so the 4060's are my current go to.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2018, 11:48:18 AM »
I like this rig a lot for metal detector stealth.
IMG_7490 2 by Steve Brothers, on Flickr

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2018, 11:54:12 AM »
^

I love my DPA d:screet 4060 mics > d:vice > iPhone.  Personally, it's pretty much fool proof and can be used anywhere without issue.  Granted, I'm recording the drunk asshat next to me but if I'm using Schoeps MK41s > nBox > recorder, I'm also recording said drunk wook so it really makes little difference to me.  I prefer not to be a human mic stand so the 4060's are my current go to.

So I could use my DPA 4061 with this new d:secret? What about DPA 4023? I was reading about it but wondered how well it would work. Using the DPA 4022, schoeps ccm4 are a bit cumbersome since I am a human mic stand.  Although, the omni's tend to pick up everyone around me, but does allow me to be a bit more mobile with my stature.

Offline audBall

• Feel brand new about it
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2018, 12:28:55 PM »
^ if your DPAs terminate to microdots, which I assume is the case since you use the MMA6000, then yes.

However, only the newer 40xx discrete capsules can be connected to the newer MMA-GR/GS cables that terminate to microdots can be run with the MMA d:vice "puck". The older 402x line will not pair with the d:vice, however.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2018, 12:50:13 PM »

I use the Tascam DR-2D but yes, that's easy to get through metal detectors.  I still use the NBox Platinum except for the hardest venues.

Offline thespacefish

• Taperssection Regular
    • Space Tapes
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2018, 12:57:31 PM »
pardon my ignorance but when you say metal detector stealth are you saying that the metal detectors don't pick this up or just that the equipment looks innocuous enough that you don't get hassled?
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@thespacefish
Mics: AKG P170s / CA-14 (cards) / CA-14 (omnis)
Recorders: Zoom H6 and Zoom H4n Pro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/totesspacefish
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thespacefish
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/spacetapes

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2018, 02:23:40 PM »
^ if your DPAs terminate to microdots, which I assume is the case since you use the MMA6000, then yes.

However, only the newer 40xx discrete capsules can be connected to the newer MMA-GR/GS cables that terminate to microdots can be run with the MMA d:vice "puck". The older 402x line will not pair with the d:vice, however.

Wow.... I had no idea that was the case. That is unbelievably awesome.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2018, 02:43:23 PM »

Cables are US$430 a pop.  And then capsules at $1300 a pop.  Not cheap but I'm sure it'd work nicely.

Ain't it? 
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2018, 02:54:41 PM »

Yes it is. 

Will be very curious to hear of anyone here using the 40xx discrete caps + MMA-GR/GS cables without the MMA d:vice "puck" into the preamps and recorders we already use and know well at TS.   That's a non-officially supported configuration, but is what immediately came to mind as a possibility when I first learned of the MMA-GR/GS cables.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2018, 03:13:15 PM »
I've posted this before, but will add it again here just based on the Perfect Stealth Rig thread topic-

My "almost-perfect stealth rig" would use a 4 or 5 channel d:Vice > phone.  Alas, such a device does not exist.  The current d:Vice is 2ch only and it doesn't appear that two can be run simultaneously into a single phone, which would make for a non-perfect work-around anyway.

My "perfect stealth rig" would use a custom-built very small, single-purpose, multichannel recorder with mic powering built in.  I would need to run some tests to confirm the number of channels I'd really require in my "perfect rig", but it would be somewhere between 5 and 8.  I keep my eye on the DIY recorder threads here with this as a long-term goal.

Offline heathen

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2018, 03:27:13 PM »
I'm curious how you would run 4 or 5 mics in a stealth setting :)  (While this question is pretty much academic since the pre/recorder for it doesn't exist, as you noted, it would be an interesting thought experiment...for PMs of course.)
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2018, 03:31:43 PM »
I've run 4 channel for the past 10+ years.  The DR2d is what makes it manageable.  I started doing it using two separate R-09s and sync'ing the resulting files afterwards, a PITA but was worth it to me.

Hit me up by PM if interested to discuss the hows and whys.

Offline audBall

• Feel brand new about it
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2018, 03:51:21 PM »

Cables are US$430 a pop.  And then capsules at $1300 a pop.  Not cheap but I'm sure it'd work nicely.

Ain't it?

Yeah, it's a bit of an expensive cost barrier to entry, which is probably why we haven't seen anyone taking the plunge yet. I've priced it out multiple times only to conclude by saying to myself, "hmpf! maybe another day". 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline fobstl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2018, 04:23:04 PM »
pardon my ignorance but when you say metal detector stealth are you saying that the metal detectors don't pick this up or just that the equipment looks innocuous enough that you don't get hassled?
Metal detectors have not been picking up the Baby NBox or mics. Deck goes in the pass through bin.

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2018, 07:17:52 PM »

I use the Tascam DR-2D but yes, that's easy to get through metal detectors.  I still use the NBox Platinum except for the hardest venues.

I was dinged twice at the Spokane Arena.  Def Leppard first and Scorpions next.  My kids ( young adults these days ) weren't amused, but they knew what happened.

I think it was daspyknows who gave me an idea but I never needed to use it.  I might borrow a similar rig for Def Leppard and Journey at the Gorge.   
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2018, 10:28:42 AM »
Probably a stupid question as I have been primarily a stealth taper that is vertically challenged. With that being said, I have always put mics in a cap.  How are others setting up their pics?
Please PM. Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2018, 05:25:51 PM »
Probably a stupid question as I have been primarily a stealth taper that is vertically challenged. With that being said, I have always put mics in a cap.  How are others setting up their pics?

Use your head man   >:D   :headphones:

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2018, 02:08:47 PM »
Sonic Studios DSM-6P and Sony D6 > Edirol R-09 > Tascam DR-2D have served me for 25 *years* now.

never needed to upgrade, as the tapes ***can't get any better***.

-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

obsidian

« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2018, 11:37:27 AM »
Metal detectors have not been picking up the Baby NBox or mics. Deck goes in the pass through bin.

My dream setup. When my wallet catches up with my tastes, I'll be in business  :cheers:

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2018, 02:15:35 PM »

mounted on worn glasses?

in a vest on ones shoulders? (the taller, the better)
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2018, 12:28:18 PM »
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/in-ear-headphones-3d-audio-ambeo-smart-headset

Anyone try these? This should be the smallest rig.

Offline heathen

« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2018, 12:35:33 PM »

Max SPL of 112 dB would likely get exceeded at many of the shows we record.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2018, 12:41:22 PM »
Too bad I have thought the max app was higher than that.

Offline bobsmith19

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Live from Atlanta
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2018, 02:14:54 PM »
I'd be interested in how these do.

https://www.luhd-mics.com/store/p16/PM-01Binaural.html

not much better at 115spl but at only $100 (well euros) it's almost cheap enough to get them on a whim.  maybe with some kind of attenuator cable?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 02:19:11 PM by bobsmith19 »
Milab VM-44 Link > SX-M2 > PMD661 OCM
Nevaton MCE 400 > PS1 > PMD661 OWM
AT853 (80s model) > PMD620 OWM

Offline heathen

« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2018, 02:40:40 PM »
If I was Chris Church I'd be modifying some CA14 omnis so they can be worn like these binaural headsets.

I'd be first in line to buy a pair.

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2018, 04:18:41 PM »
I have a similar setup but with the naiant ipa. This is my favorite stealth setup: mbho, neuman, schoeps or dpa caps > actives or kcy > ipa or nbox > pcm10.
Provides professional capsule sourcing > actives or kcy cables > ipa or nbox (prefer ipa for 3 gain selections and line in)  > pcm10 (if you can find one).
Also allows to upgrade to a full rig with mic bodies and a preamp or a quality deck.

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2018, 10:24:30 PM »

I could have used these yesterday at my daughter's final college concert yesterday.  The band and choir went from the auditorium to the foyer that had this really cool echo effect.  I was in between many instruments and the choir was all around and up in the second and third level balcony.  It was awesome!  I have the video of it.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline Galen

• Taperssection Member
    • Collective Unconscious.org
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2018, 11:26:00 PM »
I am throwing my 2c into the perfect stealth rig:

DPA 4061 > MPS6030 > Sony PCM-M1. This setup is able to get into anything if you know how to do it. Metal detector, pat-down, wand including cavity search I have never, ever been busted at the door with this. Or anything, at the door.
Sony PCM-M1 
Sony TCD-100
Sony TCD-D8
Nakamichi CM-300
DPA 4061
Wires & Waves
Invested Enigmatic Matriculation

Offline sparko

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2018, 07:23:45 AM »
I'm currently using my OKM II Rock with the Zoom iQ6 Soundman mod (capsules out, 3.5 jack in) on my iPhone. That thingy is a bit bigger than the d:vice, but a lot cheaper and since I'm only doing a handful shows a year, this setup does pretty well.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2018, 11:22:02 AM »
I haven't received my Oade mod 620 yet but I'm hoping mk41/41v>baby nbox>620 will be my ultimate rig. The mic pre in the m10 is Just ok imo ( what'd I expect out of the on board pre of a stock $250 recorder really?)and has a bit of trouble with loud rock. Not distortion but sort of a breakdown. Personally the nbox is too big for me to comfortably 😈 with. The last couple of years are the first I haven't run an Oade deck, pre or AD. Looking forward to it.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2018, 11:50:49 AM »

YMMV but i don't thing this is true anymore after a few recent trips to Wells Fargo Center
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2018, 12:12:21 PM »

YMMV but i don't thing this is true anymore after a few recent trips to Wells Fargo Center

It depends on the settings on the metal detectors.  At the Greek Theater in Berkeley my little belt buckle set it off.  This is not the buckle used to give a false positive, but my regular belt. Gear didn't pass through metal detector so I know it wasn't the gear.

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2018, 10:44:47 PM »

It depends on the settings on the metal detectors.  At the Greek Theater in Berkeley my little belt buckle set it off.  This is not the buckle used to give a false positive, but my regular belt. Gear didn't pass through metal detector so I know it wasn't the gear.

Of all places the Spokane Arena has hot detectors.  The above rig was a no go twice.  Usual storage of gear.

Offline fobstl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2018, 01:55:38 PM »

[/quote]

Good to know edtyre, thanks for the heads up!

Offline dointhatrag

• Taperssection Regular
    • my band
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2018, 10:07:39 AM »
In my area nothing gets thru metal detectors . For me its better to declare it. I have been testing coresound HEB into a LGv20 cell phone. If I roll up the mics tight I can hide in my keys. The battery box I can say is a extra battery for my phone .
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 10:12:57 AM by dointhatrag »
Schoeps + Neumann + DPA - Sonosax PR - Apogee Mini Me - 24/96

Offline dointhatrag

• Taperssection Regular
    • my band
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2018, 10:10:45 AM »
I haven't received my Oade mod 620 yet but I'm hoping mk41/41v>baby nbox>620 will be my ultimate rig. The mic pre in the m10 is Just ok imo ( what'd I expect out of the on board pre of a stock $250 recorder really?)and has a bit of trouble with loud rock. Not distortion but sort of a breakdown. Personally the nbox is too big for me to comfortably 😈 with. The last couple of years are the first I haven't run an Oade deck, pre or AD. Looking forward to it.

you are gonna love it. I use mine like this  mc930's - denecke ps 2 - pmd620  (line in)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 06:24:57 PM by dointhatrag »
Schoeps + Neumann + DPA - Sonosax PR - Apogee Mini Me - 24/96

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2018, 11:24:03 AM »

you are gonna love it. I use mine like this  mc930's - denecke ps 2 - pdm620  (line in)

You're right, I do. 👍

Offline zeus163

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2018, 09:31:32 PM »
You don't worry that they will say anything about the M10 in the pass through bin? I've gotten my gear through so far, but I've kept all of it on me.

[/quote]
[/quote]
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline opsopcopolis

« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2018, 10:19:51 PM »
Good stealth mics should never be a problem to get around/through metal detectors

Offline zeus163

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2018, 10:56:45 PM »
For me, it is less about the mics and more about the supporting pieces. I was curious about the M10 in the pass through bin. What do they say about it, if anything?

Good stealth mics should never be a problem to get around/through metal detectors
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline DATBoy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2018, 11:42:12 PM »
For me, it is less about the mics and more about the supporting pieces. I was curious about the M10 in the pass through bin. What do they say about it, if anything?

Depends. They will either ignore or they will look at it carefully and tell you no way.

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2018, 01:57:49 AM »

You mean your "MP3 player?" You wouldn't want to leave that in the car to get stolen would you?
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline opsopcopolis

« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2018, 08:55:27 AM »

You mean your "MP3 player?" You wouldn't want to leave that in the car to get stolen would you?

Exactly. The M10 mics are discreet enough that anybody just kinda looking at it won't see them. It's just a PCM player!

Offline zeus163

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2018, 08:01:59 PM »

Exactly. The M10 mics are discreet enough that anybody just kinda looking at it won't see them. It's just a PCM player!

I guess my M10 MP3 player would benefit from some headphones too.
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline edtyre

« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2018, 09:38:21 AM »
People have the wrong idea how to stealth today.
Think out of the box. YOU WILL set it off every time if you have metal.
Its how you react and what you say, that will get you in.
You wont sneak metal past good detectors and wands.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline gewwang

« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2018, 10:13:37 AM »
I'd never show anything that isn't allowed in the show to security. Sure 90 out of 100 security personnel won't care enough to question it, but why chance that your line has one of the 10 that does?

The amount of metal in your stealth equipment isn't that much. There are better ways to get the minimal amount of metal past the gates.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2018, 10:57:09 AM »

I have the excuse of all the metal in my neck. Even have a cat scan of it in my wallet. 😈 Got me into Dylan when the walk through detector went off.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:07:03 PM by MakersMarc »

Offline osurfer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2018, 11:07:00 AM »

Ed is absolutely correct. I adopted his approach a while back and have not yet had a problem. For me, it was more about changing the mindset as opposed to changing the gear.

Offline zeus163

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2018, 06:41:52 PM »
Thanks. I've got a method that has worked before which I will use tonight. The last time I was here they were using walk through metal detectors, so I'm guessing that they will still be employing those. I was just interested in the comment about putting the M10 in the pass through bin. Thanks everyone.
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2018, 05:53:29 PM »

Ed is absolutely correct. I adopted his approach a while back and have not yet had a problem. For me, it was more about changing the mindset as opposed to changing the gear.

Add me to the list of what Ed says.  Research and experience are worth a lot.  Still easier than sneaking a PCM-F1/SL2000 which we did back in the day.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2018, 06:21:06 PM »
I’m in awe of you tapers who hauled all that big heavy gear around. We have it easy when the whole rig fits in a cargo pocket or in the boxers.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2018, 09:20:19 AM »
+2, & +T

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2018, 01:35:06 AM »
I have the PCM-M10 in a Lowepro camera pouch. In NYC venues I put it in the pass-through tub and it always is accepted. MSG, Citifield, MetLife, Beacon, Kings Theatre, Terminal 5. They do not care about anything that is not a weapon. Everyone is doing cellphone video anyway.

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2019, 04:18:53 PM »
I have been testing coresound HEB into a LGv20 cell phone. If

Interesting news!

Does the LG V20 have a two-channel 3.5mm microphone input?

Are there any other cell phones that could record with the HEBs?

Thanks!
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2019, 12:38:21 AM »
I have been testing coresound HEB into a LGv20 cell phone. If

Interesting news!

Does the LG V20 have a two-channel 3.5mm microphone input?

Are there any other cell phones that could record with the HEBs?

Thanks!

The TRRS port allows only one microphone input, so the signal will be mono no matter what type of microphone is used. Some apps split the signal into two mono signals, but it will not be true stereo. It is not possible to get a stereo input through the TRRS port.

Offline DATBoy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2019, 02:32:20 PM »
People can suggest that bringing in the M10 as is straight through security is fine as is, but be aware you are doing so at your own risk. People are forgetting to mention that we are in a "see something say something" day in age. Not meaning to make anyone paranoid here, but that also means if something is seen that security people aren't familiar with or don't know what it does, they have that chance to go to someone else to get that looked at and have the situation escalated and resolved there. Could you get your recorder in by that point? It's 50/50 I think and you'll notice at some areas that some people do have their stuff turned in for them to get after the show. Yes, there are people out there who will let those things pass without question, but there are some who see it and don't understand what it does enough to get a supervisor to look into it. It might make some tapers a little upset because of what they wanted to do, but bear in mind that security are doing their job and we can't argue that when we know we are bringing things in that weren't allowed in the first place.

Just wanted to offer my two cents on the situation. It's not the same world as it once was with all the metal detectors at many venues now. These venues are being a little more protective and alert on what is coming in. Some will let this stuff pass, but just be careful on how you plan to bring that in.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2019, 03:09:06 PM »
That may be true but much of the security is just theater.  On more times than I can count, the venues have all the stuff but the people working security aren't looking closely.  This is, I believe, driven more by insurance companies that a real security need.  There are areas to be more aware of than front door security to succeed in our hobby in full stealth mode.

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2019, 07:50:03 PM »
Just to be honest, it's not recorders they are looking for anyways. It's weapons. Plain and simple. This NOT an anti-taping movement, it's a "sign of the times" thing where (like someone else mentioned) insurance companies are so scared about being the next venue on the news that if something doesn't look right, it's questioned. If it was merely a taping situation, then venues would be collecting and stopping cell phones.

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2019, 05:06:17 AM »
Here in the u.k. the situation changed quite dramatically following the Manchester Arena bombings. All major shows now have something like a pat down, airport-style bag check and metal detectors. Even if the focus is (correctly) on weapons, it still increases the likelihood of taping equipment being looked at.

I’ve taken to being fairly open about it and show them the M-10 or whatever I’m using - wrap a set of headphones round it and tell them it’s my MP3 player. Technically not untrue and that obviously it not dangerous so no harm done really. I think nowadays if you’re concealing equipment in odd places and you get wanded, then the issue is why have you hidden the stuff if it’s not dangerous etc...?

I was at a show recently where the guy in front of me got done for having, I think, a Zoom recorder - one of those with the big silver mics on top, as it was obviously a more ‘professional’ recording device. I was right behind him and walked in havin shown them both my M-10 and R-07 “MP3 Players” with no issue.

I was thinking about getting a MixPre3, but how could you explain it as harmless or something other than a recording device? I’d imagine you’d have it getting attention.
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2019, 05:17:19 AM »
I also think the increased security has unfortunately coincided with a lack of availability for small, high quality recorders. Most of the recent ones either have big fixed microphones on the top like the Zoom and Tascam or are huge like the new Sony one.

The R-07 was going in the right direction - small, light, unobtrusive - but as we know there’s still some Firmware niggles with it currently.

Apart from that the M-10, now nearly 10 years old, is discontinued and there really hasn’t been a successor. You’d think in 10 years we’d have moved to a smaller, more advanced recorder at a reasonable price, but apparently not.
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2019, 11:43:45 AM »
Look back in time, imo the Marantz 620 is the ideal small deck. Tiny, mostly plastic, hold button locks EVERYTHING. Pick one up cheap on eBay and have it sent to Doug Oade for the mod of your choice. $300 really well spent. The modded mic pre crushes the Sonys without mercy. It sounds so good I don't even run an outboard pre anymore, just mk4v/41v>babynbox>620.

Offline heathen

« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2019, 12:26:39 PM »
Look back in time, imo the Marantz 620 is the ideal small deck.

Is that the one that supplies a real amount of plug in power, too?  I can never remember which of the Marantz decks it is.

Edit: Some searching answered my question.  I believe it is the 620 that I was thinking of.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 12:36:59 PM by heathen »

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2019, 12:54:22 PM »
For me this has served me as "the perfect stealth-rig" for soon 12 years:

Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Excellent sound quality and easy to bring with you at any concert.
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline sparko

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2019, 05:36:28 AM »
My current only rig:

OKM Mics (looking like headphones, which you can later easily sell as ear protection if you put them inear) with iPhone, connected thru either Zoom iQ6 (Soundman mod) or Rode SC6-L with small splitter cable added. I cannot think of anything more stealth.

Venues I attend are more interested in any kind of weapon or "is that lens detachable???" -cameras. So I also can always bring my TZ101 (ZS100) or TZ91 (the 30x zoom version, dunno the US model number).

Offline tim_k

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2019, 08:15:53 PM »
Lectrosonics SPDR + DPA 4061

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2019, 11:35:09 PM »
Lectrosonics SPDR + DPA 4061

perfect? its robust. I'll leave it at that.
d:vice smaller and half the cost. And powers the 4061s at 5V at higher S/N than the spdr
there were times i left the spdr in the car because of walk-through metal detectors, where the bulk of the d:vice>iphone rig is the phone itself which gets into every venue
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2019, 11:37:46 PM »
I also think the increased security has unfortunately coincided with a lack of availability for small, high quality recorders. Most of the recent ones either have big fixed microphones on the top like the Zoom and Tascam or are huge like the new Sony one.

The R-07 was going in the right direction - small, light, unobtrusive - but as we know there’s still some Firmware niggles with it currently.

Apart from that the M-10, now nearly 10 years old, is discontinued and there really hasn’t been a successor. You’d think in 10 years we’d have moved to a smaller, more advanced recorder at a reasonable price, but apparently not.
PCM-A10
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2019, 12:24:49 AM »

Exactly which firmware niggels are you thinking about?
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2019, 05:36:29 PM »

prob the zipper-sound on volume adjsut, if i had to guess
people also bemoan the LEDs not being disable-able

Offline edtyre

« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2019, 07:29:49 PM »

I disabled mine with gaffers tape
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2019, 02:17:06 AM »

I see. Probably not relevant enough to dismiss the R07 in the context of this thread as a stealth recorder.  It is my experience that the zipper sound on input adjust is something you only notice when sitting with headphones and playing around with the device in a quiet room as I have never noticed it on any actual recording. The lights can easily be taped over, but as the device will often just live in your pocket controlled by your phone anyway.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.348 seconds with 145 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com