Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The Perfect Stealth Rig ??  (Read 46340 times)

Offline meursault

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: The Perfect Stealth Rig ??
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2018, 07:29:02 PM »
Hello. I would like to ask you if there is a recorder like Sony m10 without mics and headphone?

Offline DATBoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2018, 10:22:05 PM »
CCM4>Tinybox>M10 has been good to me.  Super long battery life on Tinybox and M10 both and is a rig about as small as I have ever seen.

I miss Josephine and her contributions.  I wish she would come back.
Shes fully retired from the hobby.
Sold off her gear years ago.

For someone who didn't tape for so many years like some people here, she actually did some great work.

Offline Psinka

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Megamozg Team
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2018, 02:40:51 AM »
Hello. I would like to ask you if there is a recorder like Sony m10 without mics and headphone?

New Zoom F1?
Got mine a couple days ago and will test it on the gig tomorrow  ::)

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2018, 11:27:01 PM »
Schoeps ccm4>tinybox>r05
Dpa4022>sonosax>r05
Dpa4061>mma6000>r05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2018, 10:06:50 AM »
Mics>NBox>recorder is the ultimate for many folks around here.

Schoeps ccm4>tinybox>r05
Dpa4022>sonosax>r05
Dpa4061>mma6000>r05

To me the microphones and preamp/mic-powering-box are the key elements. Use whatever small recorder you like or have on hand behind that: R-05, M10, Tascam, Olympus, whatever.. F1 would seem to be the current champ for maximum tininess potential.  Dr2d works for me (no other comparable option for 4 ch) and the original R-09 prior to that.

MMA6000 is overly large for stealth IMHO.  CA-UGLY works just as well with the DPA miniatures, is 1/4 the size, and passes most metal detectors.  I made that switch 10 years ago.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2018, 10:10:02 AM »
^
The obvious exception to this the new DPA d:Vice preamp with USB out to a smartphone, eliminating a separate recorder. 

It is probably the most stealthy arrangement currently available as the preamp is a small, flat puck and the recorder is the phone.  I don't know of anyone here who's done it yet, but the new DPA MMP-GR/GS modular cable which allows non-miniature modular DPA capsules to be used into the d:Vice should also allow those capsules to work with any PIP battery box or miniature preamp that provides low-voltage mic power.  Strong potential for an ultimate stealth rig there.

So one could do something like this:

DPA4015>MMP-GR/GS cable>d:Vice>phone
or
DPA4015>MMP-GR/GS cable>whatever miniature preamp batt/box>whatever miniature recorder
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2018, 10:56:11 AM »
^

I love my DPA d:screet 4060 mics > d:vice > iPhone.  Personally, it's pretty much fool proof and can be used anywhere without issue.  Granted, I'm recording the drunk asshat next to me but if I'm using Schoeps MK41s > nBox > recorder, I'm also recording said drunk wook so it really makes little difference to me.  I prefer not to be a human mic stand so the 4060's are my current go to.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2018, 11:48:18 AM »
I like this rig a lot for metal detector stealth.
IMG_7490 2 by Steve Brothers, on Flickr

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2018, 11:54:12 AM »
^

I love my DPA d:screet 4060 mics > d:vice > iPhone.  Personally, it's pretty much fool proof and can be used anywhere without issue.  Granted, I'm recording the drunk asshat next to me but if I'm using Schoeps MK41s > nBox > recorder, I'm also recording said drunk wook so it really makes little difference to me.  I prefer not to be a human mic stand so the 4060's are my current go to.

So I could use my DPA 4061 with this new d:secret? What about DPA 4023? I was reading about it but wondered how well it would work. Using the DPA 4022, schoeps ccm4 are a bit cumbersome since I am a human mic stand.  Although, the omni's tend to pick up everyone around me, but does allow me to be a bit more mobile with my stature.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2018, 12:28:55 PM »
^ if your DPAs terminate to microdots, which I assume is the case since you use the MMA6000, then yes.

However, only the newer 40xx discrete capsules can be connected to the newer MMA-GR/GS cables that terminate to microdots can be run with the MMA d:vice "puck". The older 402x line will not pair with the d:vice, however.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2018, 12:50:13 PM »

I use the Tascam DR-2D but yes, that's easy to get through metal detectors.  I still use the NBox Platinum except for the hardest venues.

Offline thespacefish

• Taperssection Regular
    • Space Tapes
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2018, 12:57:31 PM »
pardon my ignorance but when you say metal detector stealth are you saying that the metal detectors don't pick this up or just that the equipment looks innocuous enough that you don't get hassled?
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@thespacefish
Mics: AKG P170s / CA-14 (cards) / CA-14 (omnis)
Recorders: Zoom H6 and Zoom H4n Pro
Twitter: https://twitter.com/totesspacefish
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thespacefish
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/spacetapes

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2018, 02:23:40 PM »
^ if your DPAs terminate to microdots, which I assume is the case since you use the MMA6000, then yes.

However, only the newer 40xx discrete capsules can be connected to the newer MMA-GR/GS cables that terminate to microdots can be run with the MMA d:vice "puck". The older 402x line will not pair with the d:vice, however.

Wow.... I had no idea that was the case. That is unbelievably awesome.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2018, 02:43:23 PM »

Cables are US$430 a pop.  And then capsules at $1300 a pop.  Not cheap but I'm sure it'd work nicely.

Ain't it? 
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2018, 02:54:41 PM »

Yes it is. 

Will be very curious to hear of anyone here using the 40xx discrete caps + MMA-GR/GS cables without the MMA d:vice "puck" into the preamps and recorders we already use and know well at TS.   That's a non-officially supported configuration, but is what immediately came to mind as a possibility when I first learned of the MMA-GR/GS cables.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com