Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The Perfect Stealth Rig ??  (Read 46343 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: The Perfect Stealth Rig ??
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2018, 03:13:15 PM »
I've posted this before, but will add it again here just based on the Perfect Stealth Rig thread topic-

My "almost-perfect stealth rig" would use a 4 or 5 channel d:Vice > phone.  Alas, such a device does not exist.  The current d:Vice is 2ch only and it doesn't appear that two can be run simultaneously into a single phone, which would make for a non-perfect work-around anyway.

My "perfect stealth rig" would use a custom-built very small, single-purpose, multichannel recorder with mic powering built in.  I would need to run some tests to confirm the number of channels I'd really require in my "perfect rig", but it would be somewhere between 5 and 8.  I keep my eye on the DIY recorder threads here with this as a long-term goal.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2018, 03:27:13 PM »
I'm curious how you would run 4 or 5 mics in a stealth setting :)  (While this question is pretty much academic since the pre/recorder for it doesn't exist, as you noted, it would be an interesting thought experiment...for PMs of course.)
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2018, 03:31:43 PM »
I've run 4 channel for the past 10+ years.  The DR2d is what makes it manageable.  I started doing it using two separate R-09s and sync'ing the resulting files afterwards, a PITA but was worth it to me.

Hit me up by PM if interested to discuss the hows and whys.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2018, 03:51:21 PM »
^ if your DPAs terminate to microdots, which I assume is the case since you use the MMA6000, then yes.

However, only the newer 40xx discrete capsules can be connected to the newer MMA-GR/GS cables that terminate to microdots can be run with the MMA d:vice "puck". The older 402x line will not pair with the d:vice, however.

Wow.... I had no idea that was the case. That is unbelievably awesome.

Cables are US$430 a pop.  And then capsules at $1300 a pop.  Not cheap but I'm sure it'd work nicely.

Ain't it?

Yeah, it's a bit of an expensive cost barrier to entry, which is probably why we haven't seen anyone taking the plunge yet. I've priced it out multiple times only to conclude by saying to myself, "hmpf! maybe another day". 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2018, 04:23:04 PM »
I like this rig a lot for metal detector stealth.
IMG_7490 2 by Steve Brothers, on Flickr
pardon my ignorance but when you say metal detector stealth are you saying that the metal detectors don't pick this up or just that the equipment looks innocuous enough that you don't get hassled?
Metal detectors have not been picking up the Baby NBox or mics. Deck goes in the pass through bin.

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2018, 07:17:52 PM »

I use the Tascam DR-2D but yes, that's easy to get through metal detectors.  I still use the NBox Platinum except for the hardest venues.

I was dinged twice at the Spokane Arena.  Def Leppard first and Scorpions next.  My kids ( young adults these days ) weren't amused, but they knew what happened.

I think it was daspyknows who gave me an idea but I never needed to use it.  I might borrow a similar rig for Def Leppard and Journey at the Gorge.   
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Online bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2018, 10:28:42 AM »
Probably a stupid question as I have been primarily a stealth taper that is vertically challenged. With that being said, I have always put mics in a cap.  How are others setting up their pics?
Please PM. Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2018, 05:25:51 PM »
Probably a stupid question as I have been primarily a stealth taper that is vertically challenged. With that being said, I have always put mics in a cap.  How are others setting up their pics?

Use your head man   >:D   :headphones:

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2018, 02:08:47 PM »
Sonic Studios DSM-6P and Sony D6 > Edirol R-09 > Tascam DR-2D have served me for 25 *years* now.

never needed to upgrade, as the tapes ***can't get any better***.

-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

obsidian

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2018, 11:37:27 AM »
pardon my ignorance but when you say metal detector stealth are you saying that the metal detectors don't pick this up or just that the equipment looks innocuous enough that you don't get hassled?
Metal detectors have not been picking up the Baby NBox or mics. Deck goes in the pass through bin.

My dream setup. When my wallet catches up with my tastes, I'll be in business  :cheers:

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2018, 02:15:35 PM »

mounted on worn glasses?

in a vest on ones shoulders? (the taller, the better)
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2018, 12:28:18 PM »
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/in-ear-headphones-3d-audio-ambeo-smart-headset

Anyone try these? This should be the smallest rig.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2018, 12:35:33 PM »
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/in-ear-headphones-3d-audio-ambeo-smart-headset

Anyone try these? This should be the smallest rig.

Max SPL of 112 dB would likely get exceeded at many of the shows we record.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2018, 12:41:22 PM »
Too bad I have thought the max app was higher than that.

Offline bobsmith19

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Live from Atlanta
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2018, 02:14:54 PM »
I'd be interested in how these do.

https://www.luhd-mics.com/store/p16/PM-01Binaural.html

not much better at 115spl but at only $100 (well euros) it's almost cheap enough to get them on a whim.  maybe with some kind of attenuator cable?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 02:19:11 PM by bobsmith19 »
Milab VM-44 Link > SX-M2 > PMD661 OCM
Nevaton MCE 400 > PS1 > PMD661 OWM
AT853 (80s model) > PMD620 OWM

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com