Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The Perfect Stealth Rig ??  (Read 46335 times)

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The Perfect Stealth Rig ??
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2019, 12:38:21 AM »
I have been testing coresound HEB into a LGv20 cell phone. If

Interesting news!

Does the LG V20 have a two-channel 3.5mm microphone input?

Are there any other cell phones that could record with the HEBs?

Thanks!

The TRRS port allows only one microphone input, so the signal will be mono no matter what type of microphone is used. Some apps split the signal into two mono signals, but it will not be true stereo. It is not possible to get a stereo input through the TRRS port.

Offline DATBoy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2019, 02:32:20 PM »
People can suggest that bringing in the M10 as is straight through security is fine as is, but be aware you are doing so at your own risk. People are forgetting to mention that we are in a "see something say something" day in age. Not meaning to make anyone paranoid here, but that also means if something is seen that security people aren't familiar with or don't know what it does, they have that chance to go to someone else to get that looked at and have the situation escalated and resolved there. Could you get your recorder in by that point? It's 50/50 I think and you'll notice at some areas that some people do have their stuff turned in for them to get after the show. Yes, there are people out there who will let those things pass without question, but there are some who see it and don't understand what it does enough to get a supervisor to look into it. It might make some tapers a little upset because of what they wanted to do, but bear in mind that security are doing their job and we can't argue that when we know we are bringing things in that weren't allowed in the first place.

Just wanted to offer my two cents on the situation. It's not the same world as it once was with all the metal detectors at many venues now. These venues are being a little more protective and alert on what is coming in. Some will let this stuff pass, but just be careful on how you plan to bring that in.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2019, 03:09:06 PM »
That may be true but much of the security is just theater.  On more times than I can count, the venues have all the stuff but the people working security aren't looking closely.  This is, I believe, driven more by insurance companies that a real security need.  There are areas to be more aware of than front door security to succeed in our hobby in full stealth mode.

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2019, 07:50:03 PM »
Just to be honest, it's not recorders they are looking for anyways. It's weapons. Plain and simple. This NOT an anti-taping movement, it's a "sign of the times" thing where (like someone else mentioned) insurance companies are so scared about being the next venue on the news that if something doesn't look right, it's questioned. If it was merely a taping situation, then venues would be collecting and stopping cell phones.

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2019, 05:06:17 AM »
Here in the u.k. the situation changed quite dramatically following the Manchester Arena bombings. All major shows now have something like a pat down, airport-style bag check and metal detectors. Even if the focus is (correctly) on weapons, it still increases the likelihood of taping equipment being looked at.

I’ve taken to being fairly open about it and show them the M-10 or whatever I’m using - wrap a set of headphones round it and tell them it’s my MP3 player. Technically not untrue and that obviously it not dangerous so no harm done really. I think nowadays if you’re concealing equipment in odd places and you get wanded, then the issue is why have you hidden the stuff if it’s not dangerous etc...?

I was at a show recently where the guy in front of me got done for having, I think, a Zoom recorder - one of those with the big silver mics on top, as it was obviously a more ‘professional’ recording device. I was right behind him and walked in havin shown them both my M-10 and R-07 “MP3 Players” with no issue.

I was thinking about getting a MixPre3, but how could you explain it as harmless or something other than a recording device? I’d imagine you’d have it getting attention.
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2019, 05:17:19 AM »
I also think the increased security has unfortunately coincided with a lack of availability for small, high quality recorders. Most of the recent ones either have big fixed microphones on the top like the Zoom and Tascam or are huge like the new Sony one.

The R-07 was going in the right direction - small, light, unobtrusive - but as we know there’s still some Firmware niggles with it currently.

Apart from that the M-10, now nearly 10 years old, is discontinued and there really hasn’t been a successor. You’d think in 10 years we’d have moved to a smaller, more advanced recorder at a reasonable price, but apparently not.
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2019, 11:43:45 AM »
Look back in time, imo the Marantz 620 is the ideal small deck. Tiny, mostly plastic, hold button locks EVERYTHING. Pick one up cheap on eBay and have it sent to Doug Oade for the mod of your choice. $300 really well spent. The modded mic pre crushes the Sonys without mercy. It sounds so good I don't even run an outboard pre anymore, just mk4v/41v>babynbox>620.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2019, 12:26:39 PM »
Look back in time, imo the Marantz 620 is the ideal small deck.

Is that the one that supplies a real amount of plug in power, too?  I can never remember which of the Marantz decks it is.

Edit: Some searching answered my question.  I believe it is the 620 that I was thinking of.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 12:36:59 PM by heathen »
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2019, 12:54:22 PM »
For me this has served me as "the perfect stealth-rig" for soon 12 years:

Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Excellent sound quality and easy to bring with you at any concert.
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline sparko

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2019, 05:36:28 AM »
My current only rig:

OKM Mics (looking like headphones, which you can later easily sell as ear protection if you put them inear) with iPhone, connected thru either Zoom iQ6 (Soundman mod) or Rode SC6-L with small splitter cable added. I cannot think of anything more stealth.

Venues I attend are more interested in any kind of weapon or "is that lens detachable???" -cameras. So I also can always bring my TZ101 (ZS100) or TZ91 (the 30x zoom version, dunno the US model number).

Offline tim_k

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2019, 08:15:53 PM »
Lectrosonics SPDR + DPA 4061

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2019, 11:35:09 PM »
Lectrosonics SPDR + DPA 4061

perfect? its robust. I'll leave it at that.
d:vice smaller and half the cost. And powers the 4061s at 5V at higher S/N than the spdr
there were times i left the spdr in the car because of walk-through metal detectors, where the bulk of the d:vice>iphone rig is the phone itself which gets into every venue
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2019, 11:37:46 PM »
I also think the increased security has unfortunately coincided with a lack of availability for small, high quality recorders. Most of the recent ones either have big fixed microphones on the top like the Zoom and Tascam or are huge like the new Sony one.

The R-07 was going in the right direction - small, light, unobtrusive - but as we know there’s still some Firmware niggles with it currently.

Apart from that the M-10, now nearly 10 years old, is discontinued and there really hasn’t been a successor. You’d think in 10 years we’d have moved to a smaller, more advanced recorder at a reasonable price, but apparently not.
PCM-A10
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2019, 12:24:49 AM »

Exactly which firmware niggels are you thinking about?
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2019, 05:36:29 PM »

Exactly which firmware niggels are you thinking about?

prob the zipper-sound on volume adjsut, if i had to guess
people also bemoan the LEDs not being disable-able

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com