Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "Newbie DVC ??? "  (Read 4103 times)

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
"Newbie DVC ??? "
« on: December 01, 2005, 11:38:21 AM »
My wife bought me a new DVC camcoder  for X-mas to surprise me but she does not know much about electronics. So she let me check it out and I found my PC has no DV connection and the other cable is USB for still photo. I was wonderin' if there is a DV>Firewire cable or something like that for my video that I could pick up? Or do I need to buy a video card or something? And how much would this set me back $$$ ?v I have a PC w/ XP and 2.0 Usb and is only 3 years old, and a Imac that has 10.1.3.1 and firewire but is a little slow but has plenty of HD and memory.
Peace

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=13247662&bct=t1003%3Bc1008#accessories
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 06:23:50 PM by rowjimmytour »
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
Re: "Newbie DVC ??? "
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 06:12:55 PM »
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 06:29:03 PM »
I was checking this discription out below and they claim I can do video image with 2.0 USB but I tried it on my PC last night and got nothing. I even tried it on the back and front USB port no knowing if it matters

USB 2.0 and Video Class Compatibility - USB 2.0 compatibility gives you high-speed uploading of DV data to a PC over a single USB cable. Video Class compatibility allows real-time transfer of DV moving picture data over the same USB cable. The MotionDV Studio 5.1 LE application provided makes it easy to edit DV footage, so you can create your own polished, professional-looking movies. (Video Class is a standard format that allows the real-time transfer of moving picture data over a USB cable.
I am confused!!! I am using archphoto which came w/ the DVC and I tried Nero. Whut the fuck!!!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 07:17:33 PM by rowjimmytour »
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline sabre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 12:07:27 AM »
Okay. Your wife got you a miniDV camera.  The simplest and best way to get your footage from your miniDV tape to your PC is through Firewire (IEE 1394 / iLink). Your camera has a Firewire port, but you say your computer does not.
All you need to do is purchase a Firewire card (IEE 1394 / iLink) for your PC (they cost about $20) and a 6 pin to 4 pin firewire cable and you'll be able to transfer the video from your camera to computer without any loss at all.
The resulting AVI will be 13 GB per hour.

USB was never designed for high quality video transfer.

There is a lot of software that you can use to transfer your video. If you have  video editing software, it probably comes with a capture utility. If you don't you can download a simple and free application called WinDV - http://windv.mourek.cz/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 12:54:45 AM by pluto »

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 01:04:58 PM »
My pc has firewire ports but my camcorder olny has DV port(I think 4pin)>DV(4pin) and that is what my pc does not have. I need something to go from camera port (I believe 4-pinDV)>PC and I would like it to be firewire since this makes the most since.
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline kingbean

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theBeanScene
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 06:09:52 AM »
Hey man, my camera had the same deal.  I've got a Sony DCR-PC108E Handycam, with DV out.... you can get a cable that goes from DV to firewire.  If you've got a firewire card already in your PC then it should have the right connection.  I can't remember for sure but I think my cable was included with my firewire card...?

My camera also has the USB connection that you mentioned, it's crap quality and only used for webcamming.

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 01:06:29 PM »
+t bro!!! And I bekieve it is 4pin>Firewire I am lookin' for. Thanks.
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 07:45:55 PM »
Let's get something straight here...

There is no such thing as a DV port or cable or whatever. There is USB and Firewire. As it turns out, both USB and Firewire each have two different kinds of termination (plugs at the end). USB has a flat-wide termination or a square-box looking termination. Firewiire also has two termination choices: a small one and a larger one.

Now, if you already have a Firewire port in you PC, then all you need is the right cable -- a Firewire cable with one termination that will fit in the camera, and another termination (at the other end) that will fit into your computer Firewire port. Without question, Firewire is preferred for DV. It is probably slightly faster (although that is debateable despite what everyone usually spouts off about FW being faster than USB), and it is the only way to be able to print-to-tape I believe (won't work on USB). However, depending on your computer (RAM, HD, speed, etc.), USB2 can transfer DV no problem without dropped frames.

So, chances are all you need is a new Firewire cable with the right ends on it. Otherwise, you probably ought to be able to get USB2 working too, but that might require a driver that you haven't installed possibly?
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline brazen_sky

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 09:30:51 PM »
semi-related, but slightly off topic... a good place to get cables cheap is www.PCCables.com. no, i am not affiliated with nor do i work for PCCables.com etc. just a very satisfied customer.

you can get that 6 pin to 4 pin Firewire cable for $4.95 + s/h there. i've ordered quite a bit from there (used to work in IT, and always ordering cables and gadgets to provide that the boss wanted).

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 04:13:15 AM »
semi-related, but slightly off topic... a good place to get cables cheap is www.PCCables.com. no, i am not affiliated with nor do i work for PCCables.com etc. just a very satisfied customer.

you can get that 6 pin to 4 pin Firewire cable for $4.95 + s/h there. i've ordered quite a bit from there (used to work in IT, and always ordering cables and gadgets to provide that the boss wanted).
Good advice!

If you try to buy one off the shelf or worse yet, if you try to buy one that's "made for your camera" you'll pay through the nose (probably around $20+).

You just need a 4-6 pin firewire cable and nothing more.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline kingbean

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theBeanScene
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 06:47:23 PM »
USB2 can transfer DV no problem without dropped frames.

Yeah, you can capture full size/quality via USB, but finding a program that will let you capture through USB is another story.  The only thing I had any luck with was Windows Movie Maker, which let's face it, isn't too helpful.  Who's gonna want to export to WMV?  Most of the decent programs I checked out only capture through firewire.

And even if you do caputre via USB, you'll then need to export to a lossless format so you can then import to a better editing suite and then encode to DVD.  Of course, this does depend on what you've filmed and what you are using it for, and I didn't do heaps of research into alternate capture programs, but in the end I think the $5 cable already mentioned is just a tad easier and more worth while.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 07:00:04 PM »
As I said earlier, there is simply NO DOUBT that Firewire is the transport of choice for DV -- I was just pointing out that USB2 is fully capable of capturing the full-res DV via avi or mov wrapper without dropped frames. Many people don't even think it's possible, but it is. Also, if your cam supports USB2, chances are about 100% your cam came with software that can capture via USB2. Once it's captured via whatever app you used, you can import into any NLE you want. So capturing doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what NLE you are using. For the record, I capture using Firewire to Vegas' capture app, which is super convenient, easy to use, and also allows me to save my capture in/out points as a file in case I need to recap the same clips at a later date again.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 07:01:57 PM by Tainted »
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline kingbean

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theBeanScene
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 07:24:09 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't trying to argue my point or anything, just wanted to clear up and further verify for others.

My camera's USB-capable software only exported to lossy formats so no good for DVD.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com