Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time  (Read 107855 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
Re: Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2006, 02:59:41 PM »
Anyone get one?. How do recent versions SOUND?

With more and more reports of cellphone interference, I'm wondering how important it is to have balanced output from the pre to the A/D.  The nbox output is also unbalanced but I haven't heard any reports of interference yet..  Seems like the interference reports (so far) involve mics and not so much unbalanced cables.

Hammerhorrors new unit sounds fantastic, IMO.  I think he's been more than happy with it as well.   

I don't know much about the cell phone interference problems, so I can't help much there.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2006, 03:29:56 PM »
What other kind of tweaks could be done to this box to make it even better?

1) Seems to me that it would make sense to have the ins/outs located on the side or the back of the unit.  It seems a little cluttered up front.  If it was on the side it would work pretty sweet with some shorty RA XLR's.   8)

2) Single 'stereo' gain dial with continuous variable gain (rather than stepped), and a second 'balance' dial with a center detent.   (Any units have this sort of setup?  I'm having a hard time picturing this)
3) Replace the lower quality default RCAs with a higher quality component, or use a mini XLR or BNC connector.
4) Replace the current power plug with a locking connector similar to the V3.  This could be coupled with the addition of a momentary switch and LED with a small amplifier circuit which would show if power was being drawn externally or not.
5) It would be sweet if he could install recessed gain knobs to prevent fudging them during a recording.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline musicsherlock

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2006, 03:52:28 PM »
What other kind of tweaks could be done to this box to make it even better?

2) Single 'stereo' gain dial with continuous variable gain (rather than stepped), and a second 'balance' dial with a center detent.   (Any units have this sort of setup?  I'm having a hard time picturing this)

I have this coming in my unit this weekend

3) Replace the lower quality default RCAs with a higher quality component, or use a mini XLR or BNC connector.
Jerry mentioned something about lack of space inside...however, I seem to recall that he could eliminate the internal battery compartment to make additional room for some alternate connections...it's worth posing this question to him again...I opted to leave the internal so there would be seamless transition from external to internal power.

5) It would be sweet if he could install recessed gain knobs to prevent fudging them during a recording.
I'll see what he comes up with when I have my unit in hand....

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2006, 04:29:04 PM »
I have this coming in my unit this weekend

I'll see what he comes up with when I have my unit in hand....

Sweet.  Look forward to seeing what you get.  +T for the new toy.

Offline musicsherlock

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2006, 03:47:08 PM »
Yipppeeee! My MP-2 came this afternoon...no chance to play yet and sorry for the lame ass picture quality but here goes...took three months...I hope it's worth it...

Quote from: Jerry Chamkis
Super sorry I didn't get the front panel film done-  it's completely
un-labelled.  You can send it back any time when things are calmer and I'll
hopefully have artwork done.  I considered putting some temporary labelling
on last night after we missed FedEx but I thought it better to not risk
causing a problem-  there is a considerable amount of dis-assembly required
to get the front panel clear.  I'm afraid to tempt 'Murphy' when timing is so
critical so I left it safely in the shipping box.  The left knob is the gain
and the right the balance, levels and stops as you requested.

It's got fresh batteries in it so it's ready to go-  the power switch is the
slide switch on the back and it shows a white dot when on.

The external power input on the side is 8 - 20 volts DC, any polarity, any
ground.  It's not affected by the power switch, the preamp is powered
whenever there is voltage there.  You can feed external power in and turn the
battery switch on- the unit will power from the external input and use the
internal batteries for back up if the external fails.

cmoorevt

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2006, 04:03:26 PM »
T+ Congrats.  Those things sound so sweet and they are tiny.  Have fun with it!

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2006, 04:08:56 PM »
Wow, they're so tiny that you can't even take a sharp picture of them ;) Let us know how it sounds!

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2006, 04:17:41 PM »
Congrats for the new toy.  +T

So, if I understand correctly, the left knob adds stepped gain at intervals of 0, 12, 24, 30, 36, 42 dB.  The right knob is the balance knob, but I don't fully understand how this knob works.  Say 12 db of gain is added with the left knob, that is for both channels, right?  How does the balance knob function?

Looks like he upgraded the rca connectors.  Anything else he did different?

EDIT TO ADD:  Looks like there isn't a 1/8" out jack?  Is it on a different side?

Offline musicsherlock

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2006, 04:51:36 PM »
Congrats for the new toy.  +T

So, if I understand correctly, the left knob adds stepped gain at intervals of 0, 12, 24, 30, 36, 42 dB.  The right knob is the balance knob, but I don't fully understand how this knob works.  Say 12 db of gain is added with the left knob, that is for both channels, right?  How does the balance knob function?

Looks like he upgraded the rca connectors.  Anything else he did different?

EDIT TO ADD:  Looks like there isn't a 1/8" out jack?  Is it on a different side?

I lost a bunch of my email communications with Jerry, but from what I recall he had to nix the 1/8" out jack as the customized gain knobs, i think the trim know in particular took up too much space...that knob is nice with a center detent which will be great for my ck62's as they are a couple of dB's off.  haven't played with it yet, but it should be similar to the trim knob on the V3 or SD 722...I think I asked for about a 4dB swing left to right...

the stepped gain is the left knob and adds equal amounts to both channels...I would then adjust the right knob for balance if the caps are a little off from each other...

he didn't mention whether the RCA's are upgraded or that's what he uses now...

I'll run some tests this week and run it at Greyfox and Wilco

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2006, 05:15:56 PM »
So the center detent is, in effect, similar to the knob on the SBM-1 where there is one knob for the left and one for the right?  Sorry, I can't really make it out in the pictures.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2006, 03:49:26 PM »
I went over to Jerry's place yesterday to have him look at the used Aerco that I bought.  Ended up spending about 2 hours over there chatting and listening to Tuvan throat singer cds.  He's a pretty quirky, yet cool guy.  Older gentleman that is very intelligent.  Cool guy, really.  His house is his shop, and it's full of electrical toys and gear.  He's a major tinkerer.  Kind of reminded me of Doc Brown from "Back to the Future", even down to the fact that he has built his own speaker cabinets and compiled a big/loud system.  He said the system can make his rolling cart move 3" by playing the shotgun scene from Terminator 2 and placing the cart infront of the speakers! 

On a side note, he's a huge fan of the iRiver H120/140 recorders.  He's got at H120 that he uses and has built a tiny phantom preamp that is a tad larger than the iRiver footprint.  It is pretty slick.  He hasn't used/installed Rockbox yet, but was knowledgable of it.  Telling him about the Rockbox metering, he seemed really excited about reconfiguring the preamp & removing the meters on it.  He's going to mess around with it some more and probably put it up for sale on Ebay when it's finished. 

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2006, 06:22:49 PM »
So the center detent is, in effect, similar to the knob on the SBM-1 where there is one knob for the left and one for the right?  Sorry, I can't really make it out in the pictures.

the 722 is like this, the top(left/ knob is for variable gain and the bottom(right) knob is for trim, simple as that, its called 'linked'
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2006, 12:30:05 PM »
I'm interested in hearing how the Aerco > 722 sounds as well.  I didn't want to let that thing go, but had to in order to fund the 722 purchase.  Hopefully, I can scrape together the cash to pick up a new one from Jerry in the future. 

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2006, 10:53:41 AM »
Anyone run Aerco > 722?  Thoughts?

Offline musicsherlock

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2006, 03:02:25 PM »
ran 482's>AERCO>722 once and it was REAL boomy...it may be sacrilidge around these parts, but if you ask me 480's>722 sound just fine...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com