Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Trying to mic drums....  (Read 6380 times)

Offline discopanic1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Trying to mic drums....
« on: August 12, 2009, 10:31:05 PM »
I am trying to mic a set of drums and want any feedback on a Shure M367 mixer. 

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 10:36:26 PM by discopanic1 »

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
Re: Trying to mic drums....
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 07:48:03 AM »
Tell me a little more. I doubt your mixer is going to have nearly the effect that mic selection and placement will.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 02:25:29 AM »
I've got a Audix Fusion 7 kit.  My first set of drum mics.  I'm going to run the Shure M367 as the mixer.  The bass player in the band has an eq he is going to let me use.  A guy at DaleProAudio said this wouldn't be a bad mixer so I bought on ebay unused since was a display at a store for a good price.  If doesn't work out with the first try, I believe it can sell because I've heard people did like this mixer and I'll shoot for another approach.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:10:35 AM by discopanic1 »

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 08:24:13 AM »
Sorry. Help us understanding what you are trying to achieve.

Why are you doing this? Is for PA on a stage, or perhaps in the rehearsing room? Is it for recording? Making background track, making a CD?

What kind of music are we talking? If you are planning on doing techno or disco or quite modern music, you will definitely want to record or process each drum in its own track. If doing 50-s rock, then you will use a completely different technique. Things really have changed in recording techniques over the last 50 years.

And where is the signal going? To a PA might -- if so describe the PA at least superficially? Or to a mono tape recorder and what you are trying to do is recreate som indie favourite recording?

Tell us and we might help. My guess though is that the mixer have is not really going to be the perfect solution to your intended use. It is indeed good, for the intended purpose but not for everything.

// Gunnar

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
    • Lucky
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 11:02:27 AM »
I can't tell you anything about your mixer, but in general, when micing drums, don't be afraid to move the mics around (kick in and out of drum and at different spots, toms closer and farther from the head, different configs on the OHs) and flip the phase switches until you get what you think is best. It takes some time to get a decent drum sound.

Unless you're recording a beautiful kit with Tracy Korby's personal stash of mics and pres!  :drool: :headphones:
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline chrisnubar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 03:03:38 PM »
I think that the Fusion 7 kit is a great idea, because now you have your own mic set-up for shows or recording, and if a better mic comes up, swap it in. Like Anodyne says, it's going to take a lot of experimenting, and you might end up using a pillow in the bass drum, or other weird sounding things, so give yourself time to mess around. I would leave the limiters on in the beginning to make sure you don't destroy your ears. Also some drummers really need a cage around them, or at least a few walls to stop the sound or even protect their bandmates ears. That mixer looks ok for your purposes, let us know how it goes, ok?
Beyer M160 Ribbon Mics
Minifon P-55 Wire Recorder

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 11:29:07 AM »
I am trying to mic a set of drums and want any feedback on a Shure M367 mixer. 

i have one.
great for ENG, not the best choice for music. there is no individual eq per channel, so you pretty much have to live with the sound of each mic as is.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 11:13:58 PM »
I'm going to mic the drums b/c our groups first gig live, no sound of the bass drum.  I bought the Shure M367 since Dan told me it would be a good compact mixer.  I got the M367 at a real good price on Ebay and I've seen them go for $400 so maybe if don't like the sound, I can sell.  I am setting up to play live, practice and for recording.  I do already have 2 blankets, 1 quit and 1 regular blanket in the set, and have determined this to be the best sound so far w/out the mics.  Will probably have to experiment in the near future when the Fusion 7 arrive.  Oh yeah, it is going to our PA, the bass player has everything needed to play live w/out the Drum mics....
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:11:03 AM by discopanic1 »

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
    • Lucky
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 09:27:59 AM »
have determined this to be the best sound so far w/out the mics. 
Peace,

Jesse Mc

Schoeps mk4, mk41 > kc5 > cmc6 > v3 > hd-p2

Keep in mind that a kit that sounds amazing acoustically or even in the studio can easily sound like ass on a live gig and vice versa.

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 02:20:09 AM »
I hooked up the mics today.  I heard the levels threw the headphones but can't seem to get a recording from the device.  I am not hooking up in the right place.  At first, I hooked threw the line output on the back w/ an xlr to the time code in on the hd-p2.  Second, I tried to hook up to the other mic/line xlr output on the back to the left and then right on the hd-p2.  I've recorded a sbd patch once in 04' but forget how to record in this fashion.  Help would be real cool.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:11:14 AM by discopanic1 »

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 12:24:44 AM »
I actually can't figure out how to get the hd-p2 to record out of the mixer so any help would be helpful.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:11:26 AM by discopanic1 »

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 11:11:39 AM »
I actually can't figure out how to get the hd-p2 to record out of the mixer so any help would be helpful.

JMc

basically  "Send"  to "Line-in"

you need to look at the specs for levels and impedance, but that's the basic plan

Specs is here:
http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups/public/@gms_gmi_web_ug/documents/web_resource/us_pro_m367_specsheet.pdf
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

kirk97132

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 06:22:48 PM »

JMc
If you are using XLR inputs set deck to Mic input.  If you are using RCA inputs set deck to Line input.  You may need pad on if you use the XLR inputs.  Set levels accordingly. 

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 02:47:41 PM »
Thanks, I had it set to line.  Not hooking back up again since going to sell only being hooked up once.  Going for the Peavey PV-14 if I can get a good price.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:11:39 AM by discopanic1 »

runonce

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 08:02:30 AM »

JMc
If you are using XLR inputs set deck to Mic input.  If you are using RCA inputs set deck to Line input.  You may need pad on if you use the XLR inputs.  Set levels accordingly. 

Is that correct? I'd be afraid to send a line level signal to something expecting mic level...even with a pad, seems like to great chance for overload...

Does that mean you cant set the XLRs to "line" ?(sorry not too familiar with the hdp2, but that jumps out at me...)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com