Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MixPre D to MArantz PMD661 via AES3>SPDIF cable?  (Read 22185 times)

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: MixPre D to MArantz PMD661 via AES3>SPDIF cable?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 11:54:41 AM »
Hey- hats off to you, DigiGal!

you don't see alot of Neutrik EMC connector stuff going around: well done...

Thanks, I do use the neutrik EMC series connectors on Star Quad cables, however, I'm using their XCC series connector for my AES > S/PDIF passive impedance conversion cable builds.  From the outside the EMC and XCC look similar but they are entirely different connectors.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 11:56:59 AM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Sixtyhorses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 11:11:29 PM »
Hello DigiGal,

I am new here and this is my first post.
I own a Mixpre-D and use it to record directly into the cameras I've used. I also use the Mixpre for voiceovers in favor of various Apogee and Avalon micpres I owned for years.
I will be purchasing a Blackmagic Production Camera soon and believe that having an external recorder will be necessary. Looking for a decent recorder I came across the Marantz PMD 661 and to this post of yours.
You own both devices and build the digital connecting cable between them. If the digital connection sounds cleaner than the XLR analog connections, I am in.

I have tried to PM you about the cable, but I have had no luck. Maybe because I am new here, I don't know. If you have the time, please be kind to contact me.

I would prefer to use only one device on location, but if the Mixpre - D mic pre's are above the Marantz 661 mic pres then two devices will do. You probably also know about the 661 mods. That would simplify it to one recorder. Your opinion counts toward my next purchase, either a 661 modified recorder or the Mixpre-D/661 combo.
I am of course looking for less noise and better sounding mic pres for better options in post. So again, I am not married to the color the Mixpre-D adds. Any good clean sound will do.
Will a Modified Marantz 661 sound better on it's own than a Mixpre - D  digitally connected to a Marantz 661? Is the difference significant? You might have the answer from personal experience.
I am not married to Sound Devices. I simply want two really good channels of portable location sound recording without dishing out more than another $700. When I need more, I add a sound guy.

This is an old post. I hope that you get to read it.
Your help is appreciated.

All the best,
Alex

Here is a much better solution I ran across for this application and made up one of these cables myself using parts on hand.  It works clean from MixPre-D AES to Marantz PMD661 S/PDIF at 24/96.  I can confirm this cable also works going the AES out of a Apogee MiniMe to S/PDIF in on a PMD 661.

A passive impedance conversion AES to S/PDIF cable can be made using a quality 75 ohm coax video cable (i.e. Belden 1505A, Canare LV-61S or equivalent), and to turn the 110 ohm AES source into a 75 ohm impedance install 237 ohms of resistance across pins 2 and 3 within the cables AES's XLR-F connector with the center conductor of coax to pin 2 and shield to pin 1.  Then terminate the other end of the coax with either a 75 ohm BNC or 75 ohm RCA connector to meet your needs.   

The 237 ohm resistance in parallel with the 110 ohm AES source converts it to 75 ohm internally in the XLR-F connector and is then 75 ohm impedance matched all the way to the SPDIF termination.  I've since purchased a large stock of 237 ohm resistors and hand tested/sorted each using my HP3478A Bench Meter to find the ones that meet the tightest tolerance.  My cable utilizes a Neutrik XCC connector which maintains the coaxial shield something that ordinary XLR connectors don't.

I've many requests from TS members to sell these cables from another post I made.  If you'd like one please feel free to send me a PM, I'd be glad to make one for you if you're not capable or don't want to make one yourself.  There are now several people out there using my DigiGal AES > S/PDIF passive impedance conversion cable.  I keep stock on hand for a quick build time and am considering posting in the Retail thread since demand has been fairly steady.

Producer/director/cinematographer/composer.
Neumann 87, AT8035 shotgun, Apogee Duet 2, UR28M mixer (surround mixing), SD Mixpre-D, MacPro 12 core 48 GB, Atto/mini SAS/16 bay RAID enclosure, Adam-A7 monitors, Logitech Z906 surround speakers, Logic 9, FC7, video & sound design, location sound, composer.🎼

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 02:14:26 AM »
I have tried to PM you about the cable, but I have had no luck. Maybe because I am new here, I don't know. If you have the time, please be kind to contact me.

Apologies for the trouble with PMs.  Please try again?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline pdxdanmusic

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • pdxtaper
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 11:45:24 AM »
I have an Oade Concert Mod PMD 661 and a Sound Devices MixPre-D with a digital cable made by DigiGal and I think the MixPre-D adds a lot to my recordings so far. The OCM is only for mic in on the PMD661 and I used it for about a year. The MixPre-D has a better headphone amplifier also so I run the PMD back to the MixPre-D.

Offline BPowell55

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 10:21:20 PM »
Hi all,     Looking for DigiGal and can't seem to PM her   (brand new account?)

I'm setting up this exact setup and came across her cable!  :)

I purchased this one and should test it later this week:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/353774-REG/Lynx_Studio_Technology_CBL_XFDR18_CBL_XMDR18_RCA_Male_to.html
Hope it does what I think it will do?

Thanks to everyone that contributes to forums like these, so us newbs can learn our way into better audio.
Cheers,

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 10:17:06 AM »
^  The Lynx cable may work, or it may not work; for $8 it's a cheap experiment.  Please let us know how it goes.  DigiGal incorporates resistors for impedance conversion and quality parts in her cable and you'll get a beautifully-made cable that you know will work as it should.  And yes, I think you're having issues PM'ing her since you are a new member.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 07:30:17 PM »
He got me with a PM and I've sent him a reply.

I'll second FCB's post above.  ;)

Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline BPowell55

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2015, 12:03:13 AM »
Hi guys and gals,  another noob question here  :\   ::)

I think I'm set for a normal one-mic recording (like a boomed shotgun),  but what I'm trying to anticipate is the occasional higher-profile interview setup -- where your'e pressed for time and can't do it over. So from what I gather, it is best practice to do boom and lav in this situation.  The boom being ideal, and the lav as just a backup.   

Now (since dialog can be mono?) can I just hard pan those two inputs L/R on the MixPreD, output to the Marantz via AES, and still have the ability to separate/choose them in post??   
(Assuming I have to be recording to PCM/WAV and not the interleaved MP3 format?)

Thanks again in advance!  ;D

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2015, 03:52:27 PM »
Hi guys and gals,  another noob question here  :\   ::)

I think I'm set for a normal one-mic recording (like a boomed shotgun),  but what I'm trying to anticipate is the occasional higher-profile interview setup -- where your'e pressed for time and can't do it over. So from what I gather, it is best practice to do boom and lav in this situation.  The boom being ideal, and the lav as just a backup.   

Now (since dialog can be mono?) can I just hard pan those two inputs L/R on the MixPreD, output to the Marantz via AES, and still have the ability to separate/choose them in post??   
(Assuming I have to be recording to PCM/WAV and not the interleaved MP3 format?)

Thanks again in advance!  ;D

Yes, assign one mic on Channel 1 and the other on Channel 2 on the MixPre-D.  The AES out is two channel so each mic will appear on a different channel giving you independent control for each mic in post.  This is nice for a two person interview as well where each talent has their own mic.   

Offline BPowell55

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2015, 10:55:02 PM »
Thanks DigiGal  :D     I guess if I need 2 lavs and a boom, or more,  I'll hire an audio friend to come record an extra track or two on a second recorder (??)   

I see you can use the Tape Return for Inputs 3-4, but not sure how to keep extra channels recorded separately without more/different gear.

Really like the look of the SD-633!  Maybe in a few years if I really need it.

Offline BPowell55

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2015, 01:29:21 PM »
Guys and gals..  I seem to have stumped SD support at the moment  (he's going to call back after finding someone with the answer).

But I'm curious that I can't find this info in forums or documentation yet:

What bitrate does the MixPreD send out of the AES after the A/D conversion? 

I want to capture 24bit/48k in the Marantz.... but I'm not even sure that's what it is getting from the preamp.
I did get the preamp to match the sample rate, so no more D-In error on the 661.  :\

Ideas?  Guesses?   :D

Offline BPowell55

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2015, 04:18:54 PM »
Got a call back from SD...  they said the default for the AES-out is 24bit.   

Offline digitaljapan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 11:54:08 AM »
(Got in contact with Digigal and my cable is on its way" :) 

Hi,

I am looking to purchase the AES to S/PDIF cable to run between my mixpre-d and dslr.

After reading this and other posts, I understood that I should be contacting Digigal  but when I tried to PM Digigal I didn't see any way to send a PM.  Is it because I am new here? If so, how can I contact her?  I really need this cable as my projects are relying on it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 08:38:53 PM by digitaljapan »

Offline jahorro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2016, 06:32:24 PM »
Here is a much better solution I ran across for this application and made up one of these cables myself using parts on hand.  It works clean from MixPre-D AES to Marantz PMD661 S/PDIF at 24/96.  I can confirm this cable also works going the AES out of a Apogee MiniMe to S/PDIF in on a PMD 661.

A passive impedance conversion AES to S/PDIF cable can be made using a quality 75 ohm coax video cable (i.e. Belden 1505A, Canare LV-61S or equivalent), and to turn the 110 ohm AES source into a 75 ohm impedance install 237 ohms of resistance across pins 2 and 3 within the cables AES's XLR-F connector with the center conductor of coax to pin 2 and shield to pin 1.  Then terminate the other end of the coax with either a 75 ohm BNC or 75 ohm RCA connector to meet your needs.   

The 237 ohm resistance in parallel with the 110 ohm AES source converts it to 75 ohm internally in the XLR-F connector and is then 75 ohm impedance matched all the way to the SPDIF termination.  I've since purchased a large stock of 237 ohm resistors and hand tested/sorted each using my HP3478A Bench Meter to find the ones that meet the tightest tolerance.  My cable utilizes a Neutrik XCC connector which maintains the coaxial shield something that ordinary XLR connectors don't.

I've many requests from TS members to sell these cables from another post I made.  If you'd like one please feel free to send me a PM, I'd be glad to make one for you if you're not capable or don't want to make one yourself.  There are now several people out there using my DigiGal AES > S/PDIF passive impedance conversion cable.  I keep stock on hand for a quick build time and am considering posting in the Retail thread since demand has been fairly steady.

Hi DigiGal,
I've been following this thread (and other related ones) about how to connect the the Sound Devices Mix Pre-D (AES) to the Marantz PMD661 MKII (SPDIF).  Based on the feedback here, I'm convinced of purchasing this combo and would like to buy the cable that you've made!  I'm unable to PM you, but please message me back so I can get one from you.
Thanks!
Joe
Recorders: Zoom H6, Tascam DR-2D, Sony PCM-M10 | Preamps: Tinybox, IPA, Tascam iXJ2 | Mics: Neumann KM140s

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Stay healthy and safe!
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 11:59:23 AM »
Got your PM Joe and sent you a reply.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com