Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone running Maggie MMG's or IIIa's?  (Read 3935 times)

Offline utahtaper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Anyone running Maggie MMG's or IIIa's?
« on: February 29, 2004, 11:10:56 PM »
I would like to hear your opinions on these if you got them. Seems like I can get a pair of MMG's for 450 or IIIa's for 750. Also what are you driving them with?
Recording:
SKM 140's>LC3>ACM660

Playback:
Tascam DA30MKII DAT player
Jolida Tube CD player

Sota Saphire w/grado TLZ> Melos 333> Melos 400 monoblocks> Legacy Focus

Mcintosh MR71>c22>MC60 monoblocks

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Anyone running Maggie MMG's or IIIa's?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 11:40:52 PM »
I'm running MMGs, had 'em for about a year and a half now.  Love 'em!!  Absolutely stunning for the price point, IMO.  Imaging and soundstage are simply fantastic and pretty damn good detail (though of course there are far better, albeit more expensive options).

When I first bought and paired them with my old pre and power amp I just sat around re-listening to old recordings - live and studio - to catch what I'd been missing all this time.  They don't blow the doors and windows out of my apt, but that's a feature in which I'm not especially interested.

I'm running:

Crappy Toshiba CD transport >
smART DIO DAC >
Audio Experience Symphonies Tube pre >
Adcom GFA-555 power amp >
MMGs / Pinnacle Baby Boomer sub

Next change for me is replacing the Adcom power amp.  I actually think my old SAE Mark XXXI (I think) 50 wpc amp sounds better than the Adcom at low to medium volume levels.  So while many folks say the Maggies are massively power hungry, they can sound mighty fine driven by power amps that don't pack gobs of power.

The MMGs definitely need a sub, IMO, and I'm not a big bass-hound if that tells you anything.

Like most speakers, especially planars, they require proper placement in your space.  They need some space behind and beside them to breathe.  Mine are about 2' out from the back wall and 2-1/2' from the side walls.

I'm not familiar with the IIIas, but there's gobs and gobs of feedback on the MMGs (and likely the IIIas) at Audio Asylum if you're willing to wade through it all.

I know there are at least a couple other people here running MMGs, so hopefully they'll chime in.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline utahtaper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 11:45:48 PM »
Great input Brian. +T
Keep it coming!
Recording:
SKM 140's>LC3>ACM660

Playback:
Jolida Tube CD player

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 12:11:41 PM »
I also ran MMGs for a while.
best speaker under $500, hands down, no contest.  True high-end sound.

Any maggie will give you this, and the bigger the better.   the MGIIIa is a big maggie, and the predecessor to the 3.x series.  They are world class...or were 20 years ago as I think they are products of the mid/late '80's.
If you can find them in good condition, they are well worth it.
as are:
the MG10.x  
MG12
1.6qr
...etc.
The 3.2 and 3.3rs that I see going for under $2k are probably the best deal on speakers going on these days.  Add to that list, the Martin Logan SL3 and Von Schweikert VR4 original.  I dont just say that because I've owned both, I say this because when these were new they were very expensive and highly regaurded as very fine referrence grade loudspeakers.
But this is in the $1500 - $2k price point...a whole other ball game comparred to a $400 pair of used MMGs

BTW Brian...
I had a really sweet sounding combo with a B&K ST-140 amp when I ran the MMGs.  It was a magical pairing.  Those amps are CHEAP! and sound great.  There are better models w/more watts that are also cheap.  The ST-2140, for example.  Any of those old mosfet B&K ST series amps are so under appreciated and readibly available on eBay for peanuts.  

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 01:05:59 PM »
I'm running MMGs, had 'em for about a year and a half now.  Love 'em!!  Absolutely stunning for the price point, IMO.  Imaging and soundstage are simply fantastic and pretty damn good detail (though of course there are far better, albeit more expensive options).

Yeah, ditto what Brian and Nick said.  I think the maggies are an unbelievable bargain.  I ran them for a couple years, without a sub for many months, and then with a sub.  Really, you want to run them  with a sub, but you will still enjoy them without one for awhile if it isn't in your budget.  Just plan on getting one as you get the money.

I ran a system very similar to Brian's:  cheap CD transport>  Audio Alchemy jitter reducer + AA DAC> AMC tube preamp> Acurus A100 solid state amp> maggies + Pinnacle babyboomer.  I'd highly recommend the pairing with the babyboomer, or perhaps with another small fast sub like the Sunfire Jr.  If you're interested, I've seen a number of the Pinnacle babyboomer subs, or their smaller sibling the Subsonic, going on ebay recently for pretty good prices.

-Todd
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 02:02:26 PM »
re: the sub, I really don't think you'd need one with the 3a's - they extend deep enough and the sub wouldn't be nearly as tight and musical as the 3a's alone.  The sub would just add that 'thump'/visceral (sp?) effect.  

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/articles/stereophile/flat_response.htm
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Todd R

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 04:17:19 PM »
Yea, I should've been more specific.  I ran the MMGs, and those were the model I was referring to when I suggested the sub.  I'll defer to Craig re: the IIIa's--I've never seen or heard those.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline utahtaper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 08:17:44 PM »
Good info guys, thx.
 ;)
So this puts me at another crossroad. I can get the IIIa's for $850 with shipping. Or I can get some MMG's for $472(Granted no one buys them out from under me off ebay.). But if with the MMG's I would have to spend more to get a sub to have a little more bass. But with the IIIa's maybe no sub but almost double the price. What do you think? I also have to consider the space they will go in. When my basement is finished the bigger ones will be perfect. But right now it's not and so they would go upstairs in a family room that is 13'x13'. But that is also attached to my kitchen and our dining room. So technically it's bigger but I sit pretty close to my stereo when listening.
Recording:
SKM 140's>LC3>ACM660

Playback:
Jolida Tube CD player

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 08:07:08 AM »
go big!

Offline Todd R

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 11:38:26 AM »
I don't know anything about the 3a's 'cept what's said here, but if you have the room for them and they will go deep enough to run w/out a sub, I'd go that route.  You'd have to spend at least $350 for a decent sub that will match up with the mmgs, so the total price will be about the same anyway.  And larger panels will get you not only lower extension, but much better imaging and soundstaging.

Offline kennedy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Lezzy 🔥👁👁🖊🍻😘😷😍😷
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2004, 04:29:27 PM »
def go big :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com