Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Littlebox vs. BM2P+ UA5 Comparison?  (Read 6289 times)

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
Littlebox vs. BM2P+ UA5 Comparison?
« on: August 01, 2010, 12:36:06 AM »
Anyone know if the Littlebox would be a lateral move from the Busman modded UA5 or an upgrade/downgrade?  I love the BM2P+ but I am getting the itch to purchase something again...
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
Re: Littlebox vs. BM2P+ UA5 Comparison?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 09:34:37 AM »
I am waiting for a Littlebox with a SPDIF out!  Hopefully it will happen sooner than later.  :veryevil:

Anyone know if the Littlebox would be a lateral move from the Busman modded UA5 or an upgrade/downgrade?  I love the BM2P+ but I am getting the itch to purchase something again...
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 06:54:40 PM »
I am waiting for a Littlebox with a SPDIF out!  Hopefully it will happen sooner than later.  :veryevil:

i broke down and got my lb after waiting a while, real happy so far
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 08:15:48 PM »
While the Busman UA-5 sounds really sweet,  I kinda think that the ADC's in the "newer" recorders might be better than the ADC in the  UA-5.  As for the preamp section, I cannot comment because I have not heard the Naiant boxes yet.  But the BM2P+ does make nice recordings!  The Naiant pre's seem to be taking the "scene" by storm though.  And both units seem to have very good customer service.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 11:58:01 AM »
Some mic and preamp combos go together "synergistically" like peanut butter an jelly.  Some don't.  And some people like the sounds of certain combos, and others don't.  So, I don't think it's appropriate to say going from a UA-5 to a Littlebox is inherently an upgrade, or not.  It depends on the mics you are running and your tastes.  It's an upgrade if you like the new flavor combo.

C4's > UA-5 is a proven combo, run many times by many people, and people keep running it because it works well together.  I strongly encourage people to listen to lots of samples on archive.org of different mic/preamp combos and decide for themselves.  If you can't find one with C4s > Littlebox then probably no one has tried it yet.  It might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but no one will know until someone tries it.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline rockymtnryan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 10:58:09 PM »

I fully support this idea.  I emailed Jon at Naiant to ask if it was possible since the website says "other connectors by request" but apparently he doesn't offer it yet.  Maybe in the next year or so?
AKG CK61-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II
AKG CK63-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline willndmb

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 09:15:44 AM »
I am not working on the S/PDIF converter for littlebox any longer; it was just going to be too expensive.  I am not likely to do anything digital until TI releases a USB CODEC that supports audio class 2.0, which is hopefully next year . . . before then, in order:

- tinybox II
- AKG capsule coupler
- X-8 microphone
- littlebox II (revision to match tinybox II improvements)

Those will keep me busy for the next six months.
:yahoo:
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 09:48:02 AM »
I am completely happy with my littlebox> sony D50.  The ADC in the D50 is very good so I'm not real concerned with a SPDIF version of the Littlebox. 

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 02:21:18 PM »
I am completely happy with my littlebox> sony D50.  The ADC in the D50 is very good so I'm not real concerned with a SPDIF version of the Littlebox.

I am very happy with Littlebox> Sony M10. I wouldn't be surprised if the M10 had the same ADC as the D10. I wouldn't want a littlebox with a SPDIF out even if it was available. I may be in the minority, but I much prefer an analog only pre if I feel that the ADC in my recorder is good enough that I wouldn't hear a difference even if using an external one might be a slight improvement.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline willndmb

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 03:12:45 PM »
i ONLY wanted the ADC lb when i had a mt1
with the m10 i don't care anymore

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 07:28:27 PM »
I have seen folks post that the D50 has a better ADC than the M10, but I am not sure how true that is.  I like my recordings with the D50 and I have only ever run it from anolog pres.  I think eventually I will get an optimod V3, so that is why I decided to stick with the D50.

I am very happy with Littlebox> Sony M10. I wouldn't be surprised if the M10 had the same ADC as the D10. I wouldn't want a littlebox with a SPDIF out even if it was available. I may be in the minority, but I much prefer an analog only pre if I feel that the ADC in my recorder is good enough that I wouldn't hear a difference even if using an external one might be a slight improvement.

Offline rockymtnryan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 05:58:32 PM »
From the Naiant website....

"Output transformer offers low-frequency saturation at levels above 0dBV and ground isolation for reduced interference."

Can someone translate this for me? Just wondering how a LB with the transformer output option would differ in sound versus one without.
AKG CK61-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II
AKG CK63-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline duch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • dammit !
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 08:18:32 PM »
Simply put, transformers :

- generally add a bit of colour (or warmth, give it the name you want) to your signal
- do not distort in the same way as an active component. Transformer distortion adds a lot of colour and some compression (a bit like recording very "hot" signal to studio tape) while transistor distortion basically screw your signal.
- provide additional fixed gain (this is a "simple" way to obtain high in to out gain) depending on the specs of the transformer.
- provide way better isolation from ground issues (the in and out of a transformer are magnetically and not electrically coupled, with the input ground isolated from the output ground).
- do not need or draw power to operate.
- weight and cost very often more than the equivalent active circuitry.

Offline duch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • dammit !
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 11:15:23 PM »
You're 100% right, but as rockymtnryan asked for a "translation" I thought I could take some -big- shortcuts to give him a -very- quick picture of how a transformer could affect the sound. Thanks for the real and detailed explanation ! I should have let Mr Naiant answer about his own products. 

Regarding the use of the term "compression", that's true that neither a transformer nor a tape driven by a hot signal apply compression to it, but in the end most people I know perceive and describe the way sound is affected as "compression like". As usual it's quite hard to describe sounds and the way things sounds with words.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com