Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Integrated mic cable jacket failure repair using Techflex sheathing  (Read 5445 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Integrated mic cable jacket failure repair using Techflex sheathing
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 06:23:58 PM »
Contracting it lengthwise to fully expand it to its maximum diameter crosswise, while still being a tube.. as I interpret "scrunch"

! Sounds like another three-handed technique: one hand to push each end towards the other, then hand number three to wield the hot knife.

No! You use your toes!   All you need to do is secure one end with some stationary object.  A  weight on a flat surface will do, or a clamp, whatever. push the other end so that the sheathing expands a bit, (doesn't need to be at maximum diameter) then melt it with the iron.  It ain't rocket surgery.

I just clamp my soldering iron in place.  No muss; no fuss.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline MIQ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2019, 12:03:42 AM »
The best way to cut the sheathing is with a hot soldering iron. this fuses the loose ends together as it severs the sheathing to length.

The fusing aspect is both good and bad.  Good in that it makes a clean cut and prevents fraying.  Bad in that it no longer allows for full expansion of the sleeve, which I why I do the tuck, especially for snakes I know I will be reconfiguring later.

If you quickly insert a tapered round object into the hot knife cut ends, you can make sure the fused ends can still be expanded. You have to do this before the cuts cool. I’ve used the tips of needle nose pliers or the point of a 3.5mm plug as the flaring tool with success.  DO NOT breath in the hot knife fumes!!!

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2019, 02:05:08 PM »
The best way to cut the sheathing is with a hot soldering iron. this fuses the loose ends together as it severs the sheathing to length.

The fusing aspect is both good and bad.  Good in that it makes a clean cut and prevents fraying.  Bad in that it no longer allows for full expansion of the sleeve, which I why I do the tuck, especially for snakes I know I will be reconfiguring later.

If you quickly insert a tapered round object into the hot knife cut ends, you can make sure the fused ends can still be expanded. You have to do this before the cuts cool. I’ve used the tips of needle nose pliers or the point of a 3.5mm plug as the flaring tool with success.  DO NOT breath in the hot knife fumes!!!

This is a good strategy.  I do this with an unused (cold) soldering iron tip.  I suppose a small Phillips head screwdriver would also work.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com