Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser MKE2 Waterproof GoPro mic - hacks and modifications  (Read 49498 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Sennheiser MKE2 Waterproof GoPro mic - hacks and modifications
« on: January 16, 2019, 10:20:39 PM »
Thought I would start a thread in the appropriate forum to avoid clogging up the Retail board.

Please discuss your mods to the Senn GoPro mic and post pics so everyone can follow along.

Original thread for reference: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=188670.0

From the other thread -

email from Sennheiser -
"The MKE 2 capsules are the same (as the regular mics), but the form factors are different.  The units for the GoPro HERO 4 are integrated into a housing to make them waterproof when used with that camera, and have different connector types.  The Regular MKE 2 are not waterproof, and have either 3.5mm or Lemo connectors"

Specs from the Sennheiser site for the standard MKE 2 -

Frequency response (Microphone) - 20 - 20000 Hz +- 3 dB
Connection cable - LEMO f. SK50/250
Cable length - 1,6 m
Weight - 77 g
Sensitivity in free field, no load (1kHz) - 5 mV/Pa +- 3 dB
Nominal impedance - 1000 Ω
Min. terminating impedance - 4700 Ω
Equivalent noise level - 26 dB
Equivalent noise level weighted as per CCIR 468-3 - 39 dB
Maximum sound pressure level (passive) - 142 dB
Current consumption ca. - 250 µA
Operating voltage (stand alone) - 7.5 V

verified working mini plug wiring  -
Left mic>red wire to tip
Right mic>red wire to ring
The 2 blues and 2 shields to sleeve.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:24:20 AM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sennheiser MKE2 Waterproof GoPro mic - hacks and modifications
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 11:08:24 PM »
Thanks for starting this. I was thinking about something like this earlier this evening.

I'm not entirely sure about the waterproof factoid for our use, but, could be wrong.
The thing is designed to seal to the back of a GoPro, and has that rectangular O-Ring around the perimeter to create that seal. That seals the unit to the GoPro. The only other exposed point is the rubber mast that exits the box, and that is frequency welded (it appears) to the box, to create a seal.
In our application, we no longer have that sealed environment, unless someone creates a closure "door" to fit the GoPro mounting box. I'm thinking this to be a clearable hurdle with 3-D printing tech.
I could be totally wrong, but, caution should be used until I'm proven wrong.

mfrench

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 11:13:27 PM »
oh,...and I'm going to name my pairs; MøKE2's

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 07:05:28 AM »
Moke's brass tubing body looks promising...The windscreen is a big draw for me on this item...I'd love to incorporate that into a modified housing...could you cut threads the next larger size tubing to mount the windscreen?

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 09:49:14 AM »
In. Hopefully I will have some time this weekend to tinker - I have a female 3.5mm jack on the way. Has anyone else gotten one of these wired up to a miniplug?
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

mfrench

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 11:07:23 AM »
Moke's brass tubing body looks promising...The windscreen is a big draw for me on this item...I'd love to incorporate that into a modified housing...could you cut threads the next larger size tubing to mount the windscreen?

Greets,
The 1/2" o.d. brass tubing fits flush to the diameter of the capsules widest point.  I tried the windscreen on, and, it is a really nice friction fit without the need for screw threads.

I'm going to grab the images from that other thread, and import them here.

the crappy image 6044 is 1/2"o.d. tubing fit.  This will need to be epoxied into place. It is a nice fit inside the tubing, but, not tight enough to be a friction fit. The windscreen fits nicely over this mounting.

regarding the other images and tubing (also picked from other thread):
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=188670.msg2288043#msg2288043

It appears to be .25" o.d. on the smaller tube.
The larger is .28" o.d.

8131 (smaller) and 8132 (larger) is the K&S Precision Metals product numbers, I think.
http://ksmetals.com/26.html

in regard to the larger 1/2" tubing:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=188670.msg2288067#msg2288067

It is a piece of 1/2" o.d. part# 8139
It fits very nicely, and touches the "flanges" just below the round collar, for a nice tight flush fit. It would need to be an adhesive fitting, as it is not snug enough by itself
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:21:52 AM by Moke »

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 01:14:59 PM »
I purchased a Neutrik 3.5mm female stereo jack (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888470-REG/Neutrik_nys240bg_3_5mm_Stereo_Jack.html) to wire up but I believe something like the option below may be better for  >:D.

https://www.markertek.com/product/y-mfs-2mp/tecnec-y-mfs-2mp-dual-3-5mm-mini-right-angle-male-to-3-5mm-stereo-female-air-travel-headphone-adapter

I'm thinking I could just strip the ends of the 3.5mm plugs and wire them to the mics with a little heat shrink to keep things tidy.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 01:17:26 PM by beegar »

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 02:13:25 PM »
I purchased a Neutrik 3.5mm female stereo jack (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888470-REG/Neutrik_nys240bg_3_5mm_Stereo_Jack.html) to wire up but I believe something like the option below may be better for  >:D.

https://www.markertek.com/product/y-mfs-2mp/tecnec-y-mfs-2mp-dual-3-5mm-mini-right-angle-male-to-3-5mm-stereo-female-air-travel-headphone-adapter

I'm thinking I could just strip the ends of the 3.5mm plugs and wire them to the mics with a little heat shrink to keep things tidy.

What do you guys think?
Why not just a stereo 3.5 mm (1/8) male plug? I ordered an "L" shaped one and hope to tinker this weekend. I snagged 2 demo MKE2 models at a whopping $2.00 less per mic, but as I figured they look brand new.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 03:02:09 PM »

What do you guys think?
Why not just a stereo 3.5 mm (1/8) male plug? I ordered an "L" shaped one and hope to tinker this weekend. I snagged 2 demo MKE2 models at a whopping $2.00 less per mic, but as I figured they look brand new.

I'm mounting the mics and the jack in the liner of a mesh trucker hat and I'd rather have a male jack hanging down than a larger female jack. It's a little hard to explain but I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 06:07:55 PM »
Can these microphones be attached to Apple iPod/iphone type headphone wire?  I know absolutely nothing about wires/cables/microphones.  Would it be better to solder to a stereo mini plug then attach that plug to another cable of your preferred length?  Approximately how much wire do you have to work with once it's free from the usb board?
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

mfrench

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 06:18:40 PM »
I only have a 6" scale at hand. It is slightly longer than that by an inch'ish or so. 7" is a safe length guess.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 06:19:39 PM »
Can these microphones be attached to Apple iPod/iphone type headphone wire?  I know absolutely nothing about wires/cables/microphones.  Would it be better to solder to a stereo mini plug then attach that plug to another cable of your preferred length?  Approximately how much wire do you have to work with once it's free from the usb board?

You CAN use that wire but I would just grab some nice Mogami microphone cable - you want a nice shielded wire for these and that headphone wire will have a lot of extraneous material that you don't need.. If you wanted a long cable, I would solder the mic to a longer cable and put heat strink tubing over it to protect the joint. I'm putting my pair to a Y cable so I don't have to worry about extending them.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 10:29:00 AM »

Has anyone cut the rubber tubing and mesh screen off this yet? The waterproofing jacket I guess you could call it. Still on the road and haven't had mine in hand yet.

I want these to be as small as possible but thinking of a way to maybe adapt them somehow to fit back into a portion of the housing to be able to mount them in the open using the windscreen.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 11:11:50 AM »
Here are some photos of the case and microphone:

That's as far as I've gotten with mine.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 11:33:33 AM »
^ if you score the rubber where it meets the plastic housing, you can simply pull the microphone out, rubber and all. It takes a bit of tugging but it came out with no problem.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com