Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Walmart Lithium Ion Battery w/ Radio Shack Parts Description for UA5  (Read 3320 times)

Offline rdptha2nd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • "Jazz is not dead...it just smells funny." - Zappa
    • Check Out Namaste!!!
I have been asking for lots of things and I feel like it is now my time to chip in:

To do this you need to buy the Initial (brand name) Portable DVD Battery at Wal-Mart

Picture of battery: http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=19384.0

-I found this in the section next to all of the DVD players in Electronics
-The stock number on the receipt is 083830400201 (that # will be on the white tag)
-It cost me $49.87 + Tax

From Radio Shack you need 3 things:

1) Adaptaplug 6ft. (I don't think there are any that are smaller) Power Cord
-The Stock # is 273.1740 (If you ask for this # they should be able to find it, I hope) - I used to work there and I know how dumb some of them are.
- Cost: $5.49

2) Adaptaplug "M" (plugs in to one of the ends of the above power cord)
- Stock #: 273.1716
- Cost: $4.99 (freaking rip off)

3) Adaptaplug "B" (as you could have guessed it plugs in to the other end of the power cord)
- Stock #: 273.1705
- Cost: $4.99 (another freaking rip off)

Note: One trick you can pull on Radio Shack employees is telling them that you had just bought a power supply the other day and didn't know which adaptaplug you needed. Since they give a free adaptaplug away with each power supply they should give it to you.  I used to work at the Shack near Purdue University (big electrical engineering school) and the students would say this all the time and I would just give the adaptaplugs to them because I didn't care.

The polarity for the adaptaplugs is something you want to make sure you get right.  Follow the instructions from the post below:

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=19772.0

I think that covers it.  I know a lot of this stuff has been covered before, but I just wanted to put it all together.

Recording: ADK A-51TL and/or Superlux SMKH8K > Digimod UA5 > Nomad JB3
Transfer: Nomad JB3 > Firewire > Nomad Explorer > T-Racks 2.0 > Soungforge 5.0 > CD WAV > FLAC Frontend

Check out http://www.namastemusic.com and/or http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=namaste

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Walmart Lithium Ion Battery w/ Radio Shack Parts Description for UA5
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 11:39:01 AM »
Cool,

Another option is to skip the radio shack parts and put together the battery>ua5 cable by cutting one end off of the battery's cable and splicing in the cut off end of the wallwart>ua5 cable that came with the UA5. 

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 01:25:26 PM »
My vote is to take the $15 you were gonna spend on adaptaplugs,  buy yourself a few connectors, a soldering iron and learn to solder.  It's dead easy and very useful for this hobby!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 05:02:58 PM »
My vote is to take the $15 you were gonna spend on adaptaplugs,  buy yourself a few connectors, a soldering iron and learn to solder.  It's dead easy and very useful for this hobby!

or go to the geneseo radio shack, the manager saw how much they were when i went to buy them and said it was ridiculous, so he only charged me for one adaptaplug, saving me $13. Cool dude, Restored my faith in radio shack
mics & cameras

Offline bmr

• Taperssection Regular
    • Pearl Jam Bit Torrents
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 08:20:33 PM »
Once I get the 2 adaptaplugs and the female to female cable to go with, how will I know I've got the polarity right? I'd rather not "test" it out on my UA-5 and get it wrong.

I have this right now: http://www.sidewalkcrusaders.com/photos/adaptaplugs.jpg

The negative side is facing toward the camera there on each plug...is there as general rule like "with the white half of the cable on the right, the negative side of the plug should be facing you" or something like that so I know I've done them right? Or should I reverse the direction of one of them?

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 09:47:06 AM »
it looks ok bmr
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline bmr

• Taperssection Regular
    • Pearl Jam Bit Torrents
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 02:23:07 PM »
Sweet, thanks. I wish I knew my electronics better :)

Offline jesse

• Taperssection Member
  • Listen to more Miles!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 05:37:03 PM »
Exactly what fuses have people been using when they use this with the UA5?  I am going to RS & want to use a fuse, but don't know what to get.  All the other posts on the subject have been vague as to exactly what part #'s are needed.  I know a fast blow fuse is recommended, but I have no idea what else.
Can anyone help?
Tim

I use fast acting 1and a quarter by quarter inch  .75A,  250V glass fuses  rat shack part #270-1004. 
SP C4's>UA-5>D100

Life is hard. I only have a vauge recollection of when it wasn't kicking my ass.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com