Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 Power cable -- dumb question  (Read 2909 times)

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
UA-5 Power cable -- dumb question
« on: December 04, 2004, 11:40:04 AM »
Given this:
http://www.taperssection.com/reference/html/DIY_EdirolUA5Power/

In the Jordan Shapiro version he wants to run two batteries in parrellel.  Given I have a 5400mah battery that's unneccesary.

Can I just wire one of the "repair kit" things (this):

To this:

Without worry of having to wire two in parrelel like this:

Just thinking I can go + to + and - to - and skip the fancy pancy of the double power connectors.  Let me know if I'm incorrect!

Thanks,
Nick
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
Re: UA-5 Power cable -- dumb question
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 12:42:04 PM »
that's correct, Nick. I had no use for the other battery connector on mine until I wired up my SVU-1 w/a Tamiya connector. now I can run both my UA-5 & the SVU off a single battery.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 12:42:36 PM »
Oh yeah, don't forget about the reversed polarity on the UA-5's plug...
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 01:11:45 PM »
Oh yeah, don't forget about the reversed polarity on the UA-5's plug...

Thanks Mirth big ol' +T ;D

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 01:54:13 PM »
I had done basically the same thing as Jordan's page describes.

I'd keep the 2 plugs in the mix unless you only ever plan to own one battery. You never know when you will want to hot swap a battery, or need to use 2 smaller batteries when your wally-world one craps out unexpectedly.

Having the extra connector there is no drawback, and with a little care (and some heat shrink) the extra large splice at the "Y" won't cause any problems.

I know I over prepare, but I just re-did all my power cables to accomodate my new svu-1.

I was going to post pics in a new thread about my new gear bag set up, but this came up first.

I've got power cables made (all parts from radio shack) so that all my gear (UA-5, SVU and radio shack version of CO2) can be run off any of my power sources. I've got 4 rc car packs, the wallmart dvd batt, 2 sla's and a project box for AA's which puts out 9.6 or 12 depending on if I use rechargeables or regular AA's.

I made cables that go from adaptaplug M to rc pack F so that the AA box or the sla's which are hard wired with adaptaplug F leads can be used with the gear which is wired with rc pack male.

Right now all 3 pieces run off the dvd batt, but with the use of an adaptaplug y cable I can power the ua-5 with a 12v sla for festivals, leaving the dvd to power the converter and meters.

Anyway. Long story short. Follow jordan's plan. Another thread and pics to follow.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 04:13:50 PM »
I'm perplexed.

I've wired my unit up.  Red to Red, Black to Black. 

Now, one would think I would have to have the plug reversed as Jordan's directions say:
On the Adaptaplug end, insert the plug in. One side will say "TIP". The jack side of the plug will face the opposite of this side. If you put it the wrong way, the pack will not work.

If I have my plug inserted the way he states (male prong on opposite side of word "TIP") my UA-5 won't power up.  If I place the plug on properly (male prong same side as "TIP") it powers up fine, Monitor SW light comes on, etc.

What have I done wrong?  Why is my UA-5 powering with the polarity "normal" and not "reversed"?

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 05:18:16 PM »
Eh well, I hooked a meter up to it.  Red to the sleeve, Black inside the tip and it read + 11.26 ish-- If I put the black on the sleeve/red inside I get a - 11.26 So I guess the sleeve is positive, odd.

The only thing I did differently was bought this adaptaplug cable (273-1642) cause it was onsale (being discontinued) for $2 instead of the $5 one listed in Jordan's docs:

This coiled cable has a red and white cable inside.. I wired red to red and black to white..  Odd!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com