Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Amateur Live Concert Recording Setup --- Suggestions  (Read 3266 times)

Offline Ming-Tzu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Amateur Live Concert Recording Setup --- Suggestions
« on: September 06, 2016, 02:14:07 PM »
Been reading these forums for a bit and floored by the breadth of knowledge on here!!!

Let me first say that I am an audio amateur, as video/audio is not really my primary focus.  I am a photographer at heart, with some interest in recording live concerts (e.g. hip-hop shows) for archival purposes.  Whenever the mood strikes me with regards to recording video/audio at shows, here's what I bring:

- Panny TM-900
- Zoom H2N
- Tripod

What I typically do is connect the Line Out of the Zoom to the Panny via the Mic jack.  Then, I set it all up on a tripod.  Extremely simple setup for my needs and I don't have to fiddle too much.  I simply adjust the mic levels accordingly, and hit Record when it's time for the show.  Set-it-and-forget-it.  Not looking to get professional recordings, more videos for Youtube and/or personal archives.  Here's my Youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/grandgood

As mentioned, I don't bring out the video rig that often as I focus more on pictures.  However, I've caught the GAS bug and was wondering how I could reasonably upgrade my current system.  Here are some considerations:

- I never have access to the boards
- I would like to keep my setup simple, as I am almost always alone at these shows, and don't want to haul around too much photo and video gear.
- Tripod setup should be a set-it-and-forget-it type deal

What I am thinking is simply upgrading my Panny to another camcorder/DSLR for video purposes, and then getting the H6 (or d100) and use the included X/Y mics.  Not sure if I would need to get a shotgun mic as the venues are pretty loud.  Another setup I would like is, in addition to this tripod setup, having something attached to my DSLR while I roam the crowd looking for different angles/shots.  For this secondary setup, I imagine needing another H6 (or d100) to mount on my camera.  I've read that that the pres on the d100 are better than the H6, which makes sense given the price tag, and that the d100 pres are quiet, which is great for recording ambience.  However, I haven't found many comments on how the d100 handles loud sounds (e.g. loud concerts, etc.).

That's what I was thinking, but open to ideas as I am not a pro at this by any means.

Apologies if my post is all over the place as I'm not too familiar with video/audio setups.  Ideally, I would love to get the SD Premix-D, but not sure I even need that, despite the fact that I don't "need" any of this, as I'm not getting paid for any of it!! LOL
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 03:21:26 PM by Ming-Tzu »

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Amateur Live Concert Recording Setup --- Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 03:24:59 PM »
The rest of it is basically dealt with elsewhere but for cameras just get a simple small self powered mic (batteries inside) to plug in or miniature mic setup with a battery box.  I'm not that up on the current options in self contained mics but in the old days there was a really inexpensive dual head Realistic mic with an AA battery inside that made better recordings at loud shows than almost anything available at the time (you had to have big mics, phantom power, big recorders, etc. to get something better).  The little Sony MS-90? mic was also good (and had a mounting shoe built in to adapt to a camera). 

The built in mics on cameras won't handle volume so anything that does will provide a much better result.  Mics are better and smaller than a recorder unit like a Zoom IMO if you already have a dedicated audio setup.  The audio setup should not move.  A moving camera needs a mic or something independent mounted to it so you don't ruin the dedicated audio and don't have to worry much about managing the mics.  The variety of tiny clip-on mics available these days would provide lots of options.  A small bettery box doesn't have much impact on the footprint. 

The key being whatever it is needs to deal with the dB level it is used in. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Ming-Tzu

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 07:51:20 PM »
Actually, I might get a Sony D100 to replace the H2N.  Still debating if I want to drop that much money for my needs.

Offline Ming-Tzu

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 06:33:14 AM »
Ended up opting out of the d100 and getting the m10 instead.  It should serve its intended purpose and would give me a good comparison with my Zoom devices.  Although I know the consensus is m10 > Zoom (in general) as far as audio quality, I'd like to hear for myself!!

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 07:53:44 PM »
The M-10 probably has better internal mics for most situations.  Definitely a better signal path.  On the other hand a lot of people can't hear the differences... 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com