Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Paging electrical geniuses - How do I connect this?  (Read 6141 times)

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
Paging electrical geniuses - How do I connect this?
« on: September 01, 2016, 10:11:30 AM »
OK, weird one here. Going to the beach next week, want to take my old-skool ghetto blaster. Don't see any sense in buying a shitload of D cell batts when I got a Naztech 15000 that outputs 12v. Plainly states on the back of the unit 12v, 8 x 1.5v, etc., which I expected since it takes 8 D cells. So I take a look in the battery compartment. Wasn't what I expected to see. Thought it would be a simple 12 parallel circuit. What it looks like to me is two individual 6v parallel circuits.

Take a look at the pics. How the hell do I hook this up? Am I missing something? Right now I'm wondering it this is two 6v circuits that are combined into one somewhere in the innards of the unit. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dan
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Paging electrical geniuses - How do I connect this?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 10:53:30 AM »
All 8 cells are used in series.  8 X 1.5V = 12V

You'll need to wire your 12V source to two of the four contact points on the circuit-board end of the battery tray (pictured below) - connecting to one of the springs and the flat contact diagonally opposite it.  The only question is which diagonal pair.  The other diagonal pair will be directly wired together on the back of that board.  You can determine which pair that is using a continuity tester or ohm-meter, then attach your power leads to the other pair.  Battery - to the spring contact, battery + to the flat contact.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 11:08:17 AM »
All 8 cells are used in series.  8 X 1.5V = 12V

You'll need to wire your 12V source to two of the four contact points on the circuit-board end of the battery tray (pictured below) - connecting to one of the springs and the flat contact diagonally opposite it.  The only question is which diagonal pair.  The other diagonal pair will be directly wired together on the back of that board.  You can determine which pair that is using a continuity tester or ohm-meter, then attach your power leads to the other pair.  Battery - to the spring contact, battery + to the flat contact.

Thanks Gut, was saying parallel but thinking series. I'll pull the ol' multimeter out and give it whirl this afternoon. Hope that hurricane leaves you alone. Thanks!!
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 01:35:51 PM »
It's already passed North of us down here at the bottom of the state.  Just made a bunch of cool lightning and dumped a good amount of rain earlier in the week, which we needed.  Not sure what sandy shore you're headed for, but watch out for that pressure drop and have fun!  Maybe best to play the Toots track off that old cassette dub of 'The Harder They Come" you have laying around* once you get the thing powered up just in case-

I say when it drops, oh you gonna feel it
Oh yeah, pressure drop a drop on you

*Of the folks down here who still have cassette players in their cars and such, that well-worn that cassette is probably the most common artifact found under the passenger seat, along with a few loose penneys, hairy mints, a dead lighter or two..

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 01:46:21 PM »
Myrtle Beach. Almost as big a tourist trap as the state of Florida.  :smash: :smash: :smash:

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 06:27:10 PM »
Looks tropical stormy there this weekend, but probably nice next week!

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 11:05:21 AM »
You can cut down a wooden dowel or other spacer to approximate the size of the batteries that would occupy the compartment and use screws to make contact with the end connectors (the two that pass power to the boom box) -- attach the appropriate wires to the screws and you're good 2 go

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com