Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Does anyone use Iphone or Ipd to record shows  (Read 13959 times)

Offline BobbyPlant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Does anyone use Iphone or Ipd to record shows
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:57:57 AM »
Just curious if this is a good idea? I am sure there are drawbacks, such as Iphone 8 not having the headphone jack.
Thanks

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Does anyone use Iphone or Ipd to record shows
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 10:20:38 AM »
Is this another stealth info  thread?  :cheers:
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline BobbyPlant

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 10:57:21 AM »
I've never posted here, so I plead ignorance on that. I see the advantage of using the iphone and Ipod in some venues with security concerns, but, I also see this as a possible secondary recording device. I've heard issues that Apple may only record in mono. Other issues might be old information, such as the overall sound quality.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 11:20:11 AM »

The search function is your friend...it's the button right between HELP and PROFILE in the header bar. I would suggest narrowing your search by choosing specific topics to search in.

There have been numerous threads here about using an iPhone as a recorder
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 11:26:43 AM »
Some people have had success using the DPA d:Vice to record using an iPhone.  It's not cheap, but seems to be working well from the little I've read.  Here's the thread about it: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181868.0
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline BobbyPlant

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »
Some people have had success using the DPA d:Vice to record using an iPhone.  It's not cheap, but seems to be working well from the little I've read.  Here's the thread about it: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181868.0
Thanks,
I have a pretty basic setup right now with Church audio mics and tascam DR-05.
Without investing a lot  in equipment, does it make sense to use the iphone instead of the DR05?

I have searched through threads and not really hear a lot of opinions. There's posts about the gear,but, not a lot of comments on the actual recordings.
I do look at the bit torrent sites and do not notice recordings with the ios.
Thanks

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 10:23:08 AM »
Thanks,
Without investing a lot  in equipment, does it make sense to use the iphone instead of the DR05?

I have searched through threads and not really hear a lot of opinions. There's posts about the gear,but, not a lot of comments on the actual recordings.
Thanks

Check the cost of the DPA 4060 > d:vice at B&H and you'll see why it's not being used as much.  It's VERY expensive (US$1435 for a matched pair of mics and a d:vice).  There are people using them around here and some shows have ended up on DIME. 

You can't use the iPhone (at least in a clean, true 24-bit manner) without the d:vice so since you're NOT wanting to invest a lot in equipment, it's best not to consider this.  It's an expensive outlay but a pretty simple and easy to use setup. 
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 10:50:13 AM »
It can be done cheaply and successfully, but the best method I've found is using the now discontinued Tascam iXj2.

Here's an example of a comparison I did.

https://soundcloud.com/quisquose/stealth-concert-recording-sony-pcm-m10-versus-iphone-tascam-ixj2-ver-2

Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline heathen

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 10:58:03 AM »
Thanks,

Thanks

Personally, I'd get a battery box or preamp (if you don't already have one) to run between the mics and the DR05 before I'd try to record using a phone.  That will be much less expensive and possibly more reliable.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 11:31:11 AM »
It can be done cheaply and successfully, but the best method I've found is using the now discontinued Tascam iXj2.

https://soundcloud.com/quisquose/stealth-concert-recording-sony-pcm-m10-versus-iphone-tascam-ixj2-ver-2

But, IIRC, it's discontinued, uses the old iPhone port, and is 16/44 only.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 11:44:57 AM »
You should be able to use a sonicport as an alternative to the D:vice or tascam (for 24/48)

microphones > battery box > 1/8 out > sonicport > iphone.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:47:03 AM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3

Offline BobbyPlant

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 03:54:58 PM »
Thanks everyone, it seems to sound like it's not a great idea.
I'll probably use my DR05, but, I thought the iphone would be good for a second source recording.

https://www.micreviews.com/guides/top-10-best-ios-microphones

The link on the articles reviews some mics, but, I wonder about the recording quality, whether the mics can handle the volume, etc.

Offline heathen

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 04:12:38 PM »
https://www.micreviews.com/guides/top-10-best-ios-microphones

The link on the articles reviews some mics, but, I wonder about the recording quality, whether the mics can handle the volume, etc.
I think somebody on here has used the Shure MV88, and got a good recording from it at a Who show.

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 04:42:46 PM »

I have both a Zoom IQ5 and a IQ7. I used them fro hand streaming via mixlr and they are pretty good. Using a lightning connected microphone to record to an iphone is certainly a possibility. Although overall audio quality would not rival better microphones etc, the ability to get in better locations sound wise is a big advantage.

Offline boyacrobat

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 09:46:32 PM »
don't ride the apple train to stupidville.

job is art
tools are everything

using good tools to get a job done right is art
that's why job is art
its always been art

if you are using a phone to rec as a tool
...............YOU ARE A TOOL.....Full stop.

happy captures people

g

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 06:21:51 AM »

But, IIRC, it's discontinued, uses the old iPhone port, and is 16/44 only.

It's still easy to obtain on eBay and I picked up a spare for $30 recently. It's actually more convenient with the 30pin to lightning adapter, and Tascam underrated it and it's capable of 24/48.

It's what I use for stealthing now, but that might change when the R-07 arrives.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 11:49:08 AM »

job is art
tools are everything

that's why job is art
its always been art

happy captures people

g

Only TOOLS post stuff like in the quote above.  Read the thread on the d:vice.  Many veteran tapers are using it especially when in spots where security is tight.  It's about using a simple, low-profile rig, that records high quality.

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 12:16:44 PM »

job is art
tools are everything

that's why job is art
its always been art

happy captures people

g

Only TOOLS post stuff like in the quote above.  Read the thread on the d:vice.  Many veteran tapers are using it especially when in spots where security is tight.  It's about using a simple, low-profile rig, that records high quality.

I agree 100% adrianf74.  I've been using iDevices to stream for 4+ years and using it in conjunction with the D:vice seems like a very cool tool for the right scenarios. I'm not a fan of people trying to push their biases on others. If you (boyacrobat )don't like Apple or whatever that's fine but don't suggest there is something wrong with others who have more open minds...

obsidian

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 07:54:49 PM »

job is art
tools are everything

that's why job is art
its always been art

happy captures people

g

What a waste of sperm this idiot turned out to be.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 08:11:17 PM by obsidian »

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2018, 08:23:07 PM »
The d:vice solution is a VERY pricey one at the end of the day but it works very well.  I just jumped on a pair of matched 4060's with a d:vice and look forward to using it in the "real world."  Smallest pro sounding rig you can use and great in tighter spots (or when I don't feel like wearing full size caps, collettes, a deck, preamp, etc).  :)

Offline boyacrobat

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2018, 07:44:19 AM »
did you ever understand why you use a phone to rec with?

the size of your balls will tell you what rec to use obsidian and everyone else reading

i fucking carry 3 dr2ds and 1 korg mr1 with ext power pack and many radios
i do not fear security and do not think about downgrading to a phone.

the size of my balls allows for many things to happen obsidian

dpa dvice was not designed for me it was designed for lazy pussys who are scared to carry a real rig
swallow the truth and get over it. its not like your the only pussy in the house.

all you dpa dvice people im not sorry for hurting your fucking feelings
i was born to spare no one i don't like and im not stopping today for any phone fuckers

now i will not comment anymore here on this thread because i have said my views.
feel very welcome to say whatever you like about me.
i love all opinions of me and love the nasty shit , bring it on knuckleheads show me what you got
even though im not responding know im enjoying every bit of it.

the finger is the the full stop

g

g

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 10:18:03 AM »
To paraphrase Cynthia Ozick: When you record stuff with your balls, what kind of SD card do you use?

A bunch of years back, I was interviewing a former athlete turned academic researcher about the connection between sports and violence for this article (https://www.villagevoice.com/2000/03/07/punch-like-a-man/), and he told me about one memorable experience when he was a offensive lineman for his college football team, and his coach decided to single him out when they were watching game films for not being aggressive enough. "Sabo!" the coach yelled, freezing the film to show him lining up for the play. "Sabo!! What're you doing out there, squatting to pee?!?"

That's stuck in my head ever since as a perfect example of how misogyny, homophobia, and male-on-male abuse all combine to reinforce a culture of violence that harms women and men alike. But the previous comment isn't a bad one, either.

(Sorry for the topic drift.)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2018, 11:05:43 AM »
did you ever understand why you use a phone to rec with?

the size of your balls will tell you what rec to use obsidian and everyone else reading

i fucking carry 3 dr2ds and 1 korg mr1 with ext power pack and many radios
i do not fear security and do not think about downgrading to a phone.

the size of my balls allows for many things to happen obsidian

dpa dvice was not designed for me it was designed for lazy pussys who are scared to carry a real rig
swallow the truth and get over it. its not like your the only pussy in the house.

all you dpa dvice people im not sorry for hurting your fucking feelings
i was born to spare no one i don't like and im not stopping today for any phone fuckers

now i will not comment anymore here on this thread because i have said my views.
feel very welcome to say whatever you like about me.
i love all opinions of me and love the nasty shit , bring it on knuckleheads show me what you got
even though im not responding know im enjoying every bit of it.

the finger is the the full stop

g

g

Please don’t speak to others here this way. It isn’t nice.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2018, 04:56:59 PM »
obsidian, boyacrobat -- You're both out of line.  Please stop.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 02:04:48 AM »
Just got back from working in Provo, UT this weekend, and driving up to SLC to see Chris Robinson Brotherhood twice. I test ed out the Shure MV-88, $144 from Amazon, which plugs into the lightening port. I had an extension lightning cable, and used my iPad because my eyesight's poor and the bigger screen was helpful. Had a first listen on home playback gear and was impressed. Not sounding like Shoeps->Foster FR-2, but nice sound for the price, which includes pretty cool software for controlling the mic, which is m/s, and recording. On my iPhonex, it used 4% of the battery to record 1:30 at 24/48, so no worries there. For fun, left it in my pocket at the airport, and it didn't set off the metal detector, which is nice to know as they're in use (Warfield) these days.

Anyway, need to listen more, but impressive for something so cheap and easy to stealth/use.

edited to fix typo
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:06:12 AM by checht »
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline Relayer35

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 02:13:50 PM »
I use the Tascam iXJ2 to record to the iPhone with very good results. In fact I have two of them and usually make 2 recordings at most shows these days, one with a set of Sound Professional SP-CMC-2 (AT831's) and one with Church Audio mics (CA11 or CAFS). The sound quality is not noticeably different than what I was getting with my PCM-M10. I bought both iXJ2's on eBay for about $30 a piece. I use a Lightning adapter cable to attach to an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6S. I use Twisted WAV to record. And while I've always recorded 16/44, you can record 24/48 with this setup if you so choose. I do use battery boxes.

I do find this setup to be a bit less reliable than the PCM-M10, which was pretty idiot proof. I did once have one recording cut out on me in the middle of the show (I was doing two recordings that day, so I didn't lose anything), and another time one of the switches got moved on the iXJ2 which resulted in only one channel being recorded (Again, I was doing two recordings). I solved the latter problem by using black tape to keep the switches in place. I never did figure out the problem with the one time it just stopped. It's possible that the phone unlocked in my pocket, and the screen got pressed in a way that paused the recording, or I put it in my pocket without locking the screen. The last show I did there was some skipping at the beginning of the show, but I forgot to put my phone in airplane mode. I also recommend closing out of all other apps as well. Battery life hasn't been a problem. Seems to use about 10% for every hour recorded with the screen off. I have a number of recording on DIME and one on Traders Den and Yeeshkul using this setup if you want to check them out.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 01:16:28 PM »
Finally tracked out the CRB show I recorded using the Shure MV88. You can take a listen here:
https://archive.org/details/CRB2018-02-03.MV88.flac16

No DSP, just triming in Audacity.

Cheers,
Chris

Recordings at LMA

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2020, 02:24:21 PM »
I'm trying to understand why not to record directly to an iPhone. I tested out my U853s with 12v battery box into the Shure app using just my voice at home and it seemed fine. I'd like to take it for a spin in place of my MV88. I have a small, but growing, set of balls and if I can reduce the security risk a tiny bit for now by using the iPhone instead of my A10 it seems like it would be worth doing.
AT U853A (SP-CMC-4U) > SP-SPSB-10 12V > Sony A10
Line Audio CM4/OM1> Sound Devices MixPre6ii or Tascam DR100 mkiii

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2020, 04:15:52 PM »
Personally, I'd get a battery box or preamp (if you don't already have one) to run between the mics and the DR05 before I'd try to record using a phone.  That will be much less expensive and possibly more reliable.
^^^^
This is all you need. It will improve what you are using. Location will help too.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2020, 06:36:02 PM »
I'm trying to understand why not to record directly to an iPhone. I tested out my U853s with 12v battery box into the Shure app using just my voice at home and it seemed fine. I'd like to take it for a spin in place of my MV88. I have a small, but growing, set of balls and if I can reduce the security risk a tiny bit for now by using the iPhone instead of my A10 it seems like it would be worth doing.
Did it record in stereo through the headphone jack? That would be news to me.Your MV88 is going digital through the lightning Jack, which is stereo. headphone in is mono

you need at minimum a sonicport for stereo line in, which is small but not super tiny.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2020, 07:01:46 PM »
Did it record in stereo through the headphone jack? That would be news to me.Your MV88 is going digital through the lightning Jack, which is stereo. headphone in is mono

you need at minimum a sonicport for stereo line in, which is small but not super tiny.

That I’m not sure about so you could be right. I’ll try that tonight.

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2020, 08:58:24 PM »

That I’m not sure about so you could be right. I’ll try that tonight.

Yep, mono.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2020, 05:45:21 PM »

What app are you planning on recording with? This looks cool and it records in stereo: https://www.rode.com/software/reporter_app
You have the ability to set the quality and compression.

I think this is the sonicport others were recommending: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1240811-REG/line_6_121643_line_6_sonic_port.html
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2020, 08:56:20 PM »
What app are you planning on recording with? This looks cool and it records in stereo: https://www.rode.com/software/reporter_app

I think this is the sonicport others were recommending: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1240811-REG/line_6_121643_line_6_sonic_port.html

My go-to app is the Shure recording app. My mics are TRS terminated. Could it be that I just need a TRS->TRRS adapter in between the mics and the 3.5mm->lightning adapter?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2020, 01:11:36 AM »
The d:vice solution is a VERY pricey one at the end of the day but it works very well.  I just jumped on a pair of matched 4060's with a d:vice and look forward to using it in the "real world."  Smallest pro sounding rig you can use and great in tighter spots (or when I don't feel like wearing full size caps, collettes, a deck, preamp, etc).  :)
yes and it holds its own as a full size open or stealth rig with 4011s, etc
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2020, 06:41:36 AM »

My go-to app is the Shure recording app. My mics are TRS terminated. Could it be that I just need a TRS->TRRS adapter in between the mics and the 3.5mm->lightning adapter?

No, smartphones don’t record stereo through the TRRS input - stereo out/mono in.
There is no way around an A/D converter of some sort if you want stereo in. Rode SC6-L is another example, although I dont have personal experiences. SC6-L has been discussed here before so try a search.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RØDE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2020, 10:06:02 PM »
This may be fodder for another thread, but if I was looking to bring a mono omni into the rig, mainly for using the bass information in addition to my existing stealth rig, what should I be looking at? My thought is to run the omni into my iPhone and mix it later with my A10 stereo setup.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2020, 02:24:51 AM »
This may be fodder for another thread, but if I was looking to bring a mono omni into the rig, mainly for using the bass information in addition to my existing stealth rig, what should I be looking at? My thought is to run the omni into my iPhone and mix it later with my A10 stereo setup.
If you feel the need to add another mic because of a deficiency in freq. response, you need better mics.

Simpler = better, especially for low profile.

Recordings at LMA

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2020, 03:16:06 PM »
If you feel the need to add another mic because of a deficiency in freq. response, you need better mics.

I’ve posted in other threads about my approach to my stealth setup and it involving 2 cardioids in a XY pattern. With this approach I’m likely to lose some amount of bass and sound of the room. My cards are fine, they are AT U853s, and adding an omni wouldn’t increase the profile of the rig, so the thought is by using the single omni I can add the low freq mono into the stereo mix later. If this seems like it’s worth a try, I’m willing to throw up to $100 at a decent 3.5mm terminated omni.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2020, 12:29:40 AM »

I’ve posted in other threads about my approach to my stealth setup and it involving 2 cardioids in a XY pattern. With this approach I’m likely to lose some amount of bass and sound of the room. My cards are fine, they are AT U853s, and adding an omni wouldn’t increase the profile of the rig, so the thought is by using the single omni I can add the low freq mono into the stereo mix later. If this seems like it’s worth a try, I’m willing to throw up to $100 at a decent 3.5mm terminated omni.

youd still need a bat box, esp for bass-heavy omnis that overload easier
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 05:41:31 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2020, 01:19:33 PM »
youd still need a bat box, esp for bass-heavy omnis that overload easier

Yep, aware of that. I'm sufficiently intrigued by the idea. Stay tuned.

Offline heathen

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2020, 08:44:43 PM »

That's not a fair statement.  The very best supercard mic in the world (assuming everyone could agree on one...) won't have the amount of bass response that an omni has.

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2020, 05:16:19 PM »
I also use a Shure mv88 and it pulls nice stereo recordings. Of course you get the best results if you're not too far from the source.
Big drawback is the  impossibility to charge the phone / iPad while recording. Not a big deal in audio recording, which won't draw too much juice, as you can record with the screen off. Different if you shoot a video, either using the stock camera app or the Shure video app; I couldn't find any video recording app allowing to set the screen off while shooting. The difference between audio and video is really huge, I suspect more because of the screen on thank the recording thing itself. No workaround for this limitation; Apple usb3 to lightning adapter doesn't work as it can power iPhone/iPad through the lightning and accept an external device via usb, but can't do the opposite. Shure released the mv88+, which is essentially the same mic but with a different design, allowing iPhone charging as it can be used with the summentioned Apple adapter, but mic+adapter makes roughly 250 euros in Europe which seems a lot. If you are prepared to charge externally you may as well end up buying an audio interface which allows you to choose any mic you want and link it to the iPhone / iPad so you can get even professional sound directly with your video.
Apart from this comfortable use, I don't see any particular advantage of using an apple device over a recorder in order to pick only sound.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2020, 05:42:28 PM »
Apart from this comfortable use, I don't see any particular advantage of using an apple device over a recorder in order to pick only sound.

getting it into shows with tight security is a major factor

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2020, 08:46:58 AM »

Jeff Coffin of DMB/The Flecktones does it never listened close enough to see if it is mono or stereo though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMO_nHmveUM&t=8s
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.181 seconds with 73 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com