Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 4 Channel Field Mixer or Multi channel mixing board?  (Read 9636 times)

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 4 Channel Field Mixer or Multi channel mixing board?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
How about one of these?

http://www.marenius.se/mm4210.htm

MM-4210 is a true professional Stereo Mixer for portable use.  I picked one up recently. It's pretty cool little box.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2007, 12:19:20 PM »
How about one of these?

http://www.marenius.se/mm4210.htm

MM-4210 is a true professional Stereo Mixer for portable use.  I picked one up recently. It's pretty cool little box.

How muc did it set you back?  I was searching for a retailer online and couldn't find one. It looks interesting. The mixers that I was looking at were about $500. I like the idea of 4 mics, just not having to edit for separate wave files. Actually I just saw the Rolls model on sale for $385. The only thing is there are no reviews on the product. To mix on the fly takes a great deal of practice to produce masterful recordings. I think I am going to have to get my PMD modded. We will see what happens. Thanks for the heads up.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 09:46:54 PM »

How muc did it set you back?  I was searching for a retailer online and couldn't find one.
$725
http://www.marenius.se/indexeng.htm

Offline dointhatrag

• Taperssection Regular
    • my band
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 10:57:17 AM »
Trew Audio now has a SX-PR in EX. condition for 2800.00

That is a steal compared to 5 grand for a new one.

http://www.trewaudio.com/consignment/mixers.htm#4591
Schoeps + Neumann + DPA - Sonosax PR - Apogee Mini Me - 24/96

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 11:17:26 AM »
Looks like a nice deal, but if I could spend that much money, I would just go ahead and buy a 744. they also had this piece of equipment, but don't know much about it:

PSC M4 MkII. Includes Portabrace case with shoulder strap and boompole fader. Condition: Good. $800 USD
ITEM #4190

Offline dointhatrag

• Taperssection Regular
    • my band
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2007, 12:08:15 PM »
Looks like a nice deal, but if I could spend that much money, I would just go ahead and buy a 744. they also had this piece of equipment, but don't know much about it:

PSC M4 MkII. Includes Portabrace case with shoulder strap and boompole fader. Condition: Good. $800 USD
ITEM #4190

I saw that too !!

great thing about TREW is, on the used stuff, they let you try it for 5 days, And if its not a fit in your setup, you can send it back.

now for more funk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjxPgXoPWs

Schoeps + Neumann + DPA - Sonosax PR - Apogee Mini Me - 24/96

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2007, 05:21:50 PM »
don't buy a rolls...
they are cheap

and really it is helpful for any on the fly mixing to actually be able to solo each channel independently and not just the overall output
then you can sorta make some vague judgments on what each channel sounds like

I used  a Mackie 1402 VLZ for years for this, but obviously it is not really portable, unless you can get wall power, which often I could. into my Fostex D-5 DAT master (not real portable either) sometimes using mic level out into my Denecke AD-20 then optical iknto the fostex, a better A-->D converter  then the one in the fostex...

~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2007, 05:44:28 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I ended up buying an Alesis 8 channel mixer with USB out. It has 4 XLR inputs, so now I can start experimenting with mixing. The only thing is that the only time that I will be able to use this rig is when I can set up a station with the mixer, 4 mics, and my laptop. Have not had the opportunity to run it in public, but in trials at home recording music coming from my stereo, it has proven to be pretty impressive. The only thing that I cannot figure out is what settings have to be on in order to monitor the recording from the laptop. I have monitored it from the mixing board, but there is pretty noticeable hiss coming through the headphones. However, once I save the file in Cubase, I can play it back through Windows Media Player to actually hear what I have recorded. In addition, I haven't quite figured out how to track out selections in Cubase, or would I have to use a post recording program like Sony Sound Forge? Either way, I don't think I spent very much money to experiment. The Alesis was $150 and met my minimum requirements of having USB out and 4 Ch. XLR in.

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2007, 11:22:24 PM »
if you need something in Les then a grand range , used wendt4  or ad-260 

I haven't seen any Wendt X-4 units going for less than a grand. The X-2's I have, but not the X-4 or X-5 units. Have you really seen these going for under a grand?

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2007, 11:36:42 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I ended up buying an Alesis 8 channel mixer with USB out. It has 4 XLR inputs, so now I can start experimenting with mixing. The only thing is that the only time that I will be able to use this rig is when I can set up a station with the mixer, 4 mics, and my laptop. Have not had the opportunity to run it in public, but in trials at home recording music coming from my stereo, it has proven to be pretty impressive. The only thing that I cannot figure out is what settings have to be on in order to monitor the recording from the laptop. I have monitored it from the mixing board, but there is pretty noticeable hiss coming through the headphones. However, once I save the file in Cubase, I can play it back through Windows Media Player to actually hear what I have recorded. In addition, I haven't quite figured out how to track out selections in Cubase, or would I have to use a post recording program like Sony Sound Forge? Either way, I don't think I spent very much money to experiment. The Alesis was $150 and met my minimum requirements of having USB out and 4 Ch. XLR in.

use a headphone output on the lappy to monitor the mix

and for tracking - CD Wave is your best friend :)
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2007, 10:46:40 AM »
For some reason, I am having trouble monitoring through the laptop. Can't figure out why? It seems like the only time I can listen to the recording is when the file has been saved. Anyone use Cubase LE?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com