Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Does the presence-mod UA-5 really have an Apogee sound?  (Read 3938 times)

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Does the presence-mod UA-5 really have an Apogee sound?
« on: March 25, 2004, 11:10:05 AM »
SSIA. Any direct experience comparing units? OK, that sounds gay, but I think you know what I mean. Thanks in advance.
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
Re:Does the presence-mod UA-5 really have an Apogee sound?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 11:25:00 AM »
Yes, I had the pmod & wmod ua5's at the same time and also have a v3.

No, the wmod has that low end "punch" that I would compare to the Apoee MiniMe, not the pmod.  the pmod is tighter in the low end, very dynamic, and seems just a tad bright compared to the wmod.

if I were to equate the ua5 mods to the Grace/Apogee, it would be wmod=mme and pmod=v3, but I still think thats a stretch.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Mingle

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 12:05:24 PM »
I'm currently running a P-mod UA-5, but have been considering upgrading to a V3.  Do the audible differences between the two justify the cost?  I'm curious just HOW different the two units really are in sound quality.

Thanks,

Nic
AKG 480 ck61/ck63 > V3 > M1 or iriver H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 06:10:58 PM »
Yes, I had the pmod & wmod ua5's at the same time and also have a v3.

No, the wmod has that low end "punch" that I would compare to the Apoee MiniMe, not the pmod.  the pmod is tighter in the low end, very dynamic, and seems just a tad bright compared to the wmod.

if I were to equate the ua5 mods to the Grace/Apogee, it would be wmod=mme and pmod=v3, but I still think thats a stretch.

In the recordings I've heard, the wmod to my ears sounds more natural (including more robust bass), while the pmod sounds more hyped (including tighter and punchier bass).  In that sense, to my ears, the wmod/V3, pmod/Apogee comparison makes sense.  Though I agree, in general it's a stretch no matter how you cut it.

I'm currently running a P-mod UA-5, but have been considering upgrading to a V3.  Do the audible differences between the two justify the cost?  I'm curious just HOW different the two units really are in sound quality.

Wish I could speak to the pmod/V3 comp, I only did wmod/V3 comps and found the V3 far better for my ears.  I'm not sure I've seen anyone post a pmod/V3 comp.  Hmmmmm...that would be interesting...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 09:24:43 AM »
I'm currently running a P-mod UA-5, but have been considering upgrading to a V3.  Do the audible differences between the two justify the cost?

Can't answer that one for you.  What do you think $1000 should sound like?  Some would expect glaring differences, others only a slight improvement.

I'm curious just HOW different the two units really are in sound quality.

If I had more time, I would have done a pmod/v3 comparison, but I only had the pmod for a week.  There is definitely a difference, I'd say its more obvious in the high frequencies which just sound more real and extended through the v3.  The v3 has a slight edge on imaging, too, the pmod is more 2-D throwing a nice L-R image, but not as much depth as the v3.  These are just a few things I noticed based on one recording I did with the pmod in a very familiar venue from the same location and same mics I always use there.  I never managed to do a pmod/v3 comparison, so take my observations with a grain.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 11:30:13 AM »
I think people also have to make more into consideration than just how it sounds when it comes to the $1000 difference. The V3 has a much higher build quality, thing is built like a tank, this is important to me. It has much better gain controls, can go above 24/96, etc, etc, etc. When you pay $1000 more it might not sound $1000 better, but you have to look at the complete picture.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 11:30:38 AM by creekfreak »
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 11:58:01 AM »
yah but also remember the v3 doesnt have a computer interface.  also not 1000 more, with the mod more like 700 dollars more.

Also, the build quality of the ua-5 is pretty good, not as good as the v3, but still pretty good.

Dont forget you can also matrix with the ua-5, which you cant do with the v3

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 12:04:40 PM »
sorry, build quality of the ua-5 is no where near the build quality of the V3. First time I handled a ua-5 I thought I was going to break it in my hands, similar to how I feel about the mini-me. Just IMO, they both make excellent tapes.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004, 12:11:50 PM »
does it have the tank heavy quality of the outercasing of the v3, certainly not, but if you wanna see a bad build quality unit ill show you some of behringer's stuff or some of the presonus stuff :)  it's not a bad build quality, its not superior either.  

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 12:35:59 PM »
when oh when is someone going to disect the OADE mod and put up a DIY MOD for presence or warm?  I know its not that great of me to be asking to cheat those guys outta some business...but I already have a digi-ua5(DIY) and i got my UA5 off ebay for 175 brand new....I cannot afford(nor could have) to get it from their site, or to get the mods.  As for the sound, does it really matter if it has the sound of the v3 or mini-me?  I have several shows from the w-mod, I really like the way it sounds on my home stereo(which is ALL that matters to me at this point in time).  I view recording as trying to find the best rig for my listening pleasure, and the w-mod shows(with AKG's) have been on par (on my stereo) with anything else I can find.  AND I really love the fact that I can run matrix with the UA5...as a very small bar here allows me patches at EVERY show i go too....hence the reason i was looking for a digital delay(DOH!  $500, cant do it)  Im sure everyone has their personal prefernce(most likely based on their playback system, and their taste), I am all about the UA5 at this point, as I get more picky, learn more, and develop a more finicky ear..this might change, and I am sure it will, but until then....woohoo...I like it cheap!
as for durability, I have my UA5 in the target shelf system, its protected nicely, so it should hold up as long as i have it..pics to come next week!!  
I have a whole setup for about $800(i couldnt get a mini-mi or V3 for that little amount)
391's(380$) > DYI Digi-UA5(175$) > JB3(145$)/laptop(already had) stand and accesories (100$)
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 03:40:30 PM »
when oh when is someone going to disect the OADE mod and put up a DIY MOD for presence or warm?  

Unless Doug gives out this info, never.  There simply is no practical way to dissect the Oade mods, as they remove the part numbers from the parts they use.  I haven't even looked at one, but I'd say that most of the sound difference probably comes from changing out capacitors in the signal path and changing out the op amps that are used.  

People are not going to be able to duplicate exactly what Doug has done.  What Doug does do that is very nice, is that he is very open about discussing what in general needs to be done.  People who have the skills to do an Oade-like mod and are motivated (and have the time, which in general, I do not) should try doing their own mods with their own selected parts, and see how it sounds.  Really not as hard as it seems, do internet searches on op amps commonly used in audio applications (eg, the NE5532) and you will find lots of audiophile DIY sites that will discuss good replacement op amps.  Same thing with capacitors--scour the audiophile DIY sites and you can find a lot of alternatives for capacitors.

I don't think folks can expect to duplicate the Oade mods, but they can decide to do their own mods.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 06:20:47 PM »
AKG anything > UA-5 (stock or modded) sounds fantastic

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.152 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com