Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: yet another UA-5 question  (Read 2909 times)

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
yet another UA-5 question
« on: May 03, 2005, 09:58:51 PM »
I made a stupid mistake. Recorded my friend's band with the AKGs, UA-5 and my laptop using WaveLab 5 (set to 24/48). Everything worked just fine, and the result sounds really nice, too, but I just realized that the UA5 was set to 44.1k and ADV off (=16bit).  Ouch. ::)
Am I listening to "real" 24bit/48k now? If so, where did WaveLab get the additional information from?!? And why was it possible to record in the first place? I'm confused...

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Re: yet another UA-5 question
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 10:01:45 PM »
I believe you are listening to 16-bit 44.1 kHz audio that is merely labeled as 24/48. You can change the file info in wavelab.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 10:04:33 PM »
ADV = OFF = 16-bit.  So, you have a 16-bit recording.  The extra 8-bits are padded with zeroes.

Sample rate, I'm less sure.  Either:

[1] the UA-5 takes its sample rate cue from Wavelab and output a 96kHz signal, anyway, or
[2] the UA-5 output 44.1kHz and you'll have to correct the sample rate in the WAV header so it's 44.1kHz

Whether [1] or [2], you'll know the moment you listen to it - if the UA-5 output a 44.1kHz sample rate and Wavelab wrote a 96kHz header, it'll sound funky!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 10:27:39 PM »
ADV = OFF = 16-bit.  So, you have a 16-bit recording.  The extra 8-bits are padded with zeroes.

OK, makes sense.

Sample rate, I'm less sure.  Either:

[1] the UA-5 takes its sample rate cue from Wavelab and output a 96kHz signal, anyway, or
[2] the UA-5 output 44.1kHz and you'll have to correct the sample rate in the WAV header so it's 44.1kHz

Whether [1] or [2], you'll know the moment you listen to it - if the UA-5 output a 44.1kHz sample rate and Wavelab wrote a 96kHz header, it'll sound funky!

It doesn't sound funky at all. In fact it sounds really good. So that would mean the sample rate setting on the UA5 doesn't matter at since it's WaveLab that "sets" it?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 10:30:29 PM »
So that would mean the sample rate setting on the UA5 doesn't matter at since it's WaveLab that "sets" it?

Either Wavelab recorded it at only 44.1kHz sample rate since that's what the UA5 output, or the UA-5 output 96kHz since that's what Wavelab was expecting.  What does the WAV header info say?

And for kicks, to hear what it would sound like if it was whacky, change the WAV header sample rate to whichever of the two it isn't currently set.
Roland R-05

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 10:41:57 PM »
The file WaveLab recorded claims to be 24bit/48kHz. That's what WaveLab says (and that's what I wanted to record at).
How do I change the header? Just hit "save as" and then change the file attributes?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 10:47:30 PM »
How do I change the header? Just hit "save as" and then change the file attributes?

I'm not familiar with Wavelab, so I'm not certain.  In CEP 2.1, there are two main menu Edit options:  Adjust Sample Rate and Convert Sample Type.  The former changes the WAV header and requires zero processing, the latter actually resamples and takes a fair amount of time due to all the necessary processing.

Try Save As and change the attributes.  If the s/w starts to do any processing, that's Wavelabs resample function, and you'll need to look elsewhere in the s/w for how to change the WAV header.
Roland R-05

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 11:04:33 PM »
WaveLab only has a "convert sample rate" function which means actual processing. There's no function that simply changes the header (I think).

I change the file attributes and saved my alleged 24/48 file as 16/44.1. The two sound the same. Bingo. However, I also saved the 24/48 as 16/96 (just for fun), and the result sounds the same, as well. There's no difference in pitch or speed. The file gets bigger (or smaller for the 16/44.1), but that's all. Huh?!?

I'll try CDWave now...

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 12:27:29 AM »
CDWave opens my file as 24/48 and treats it like that, too.
I wonder if this is all a driver problem and the ua5 and my computer just don't communicate correctly?

What do other UA5 users say? Can you guys record properly even though the settings on the UA5 and the software are not identical?

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 12:47:58 AM »
no way the sf recorded true 24 bit if it was only being sent 16 bits

I believe there is a way to just change the header in wavelab, it's been awhile since I've seen it but check the other drop down menus

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com