Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Why aren't there allot of p-mod ua-5's out there?  (Read 5055 times)

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
Why aren't there allot of p-mod ua-5's out there?
« on: June 05, 2005, 01:18:29 AM »
I have been noticing on here and on archive.org there aren’t allot of p-mod UA-5's out there. I wonder why this is? I have one but I haven’t made very many recordings with it (that will change this summer) so I don't know the exact differences between the 3 kinds. I have looked on archive.org to compare but of course I can’t find many on there to compare. I have read what Oade.com has to say on there mods but to me they seem fairly vague  ???. Has anyone compared the three or even two? I just figured I'd throw that out there and see what you folks had to say.

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
Re: Why aren't there allot of p-mod ua-5's out there?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 02:26:29 AM »
I have been noticing on here and on archive.org there aren’t allot of p-mod UA-5's out there. I wonder why this is? I have one but I haven’t made very many recordings with it (that will change this summer) so I don't know the exact differences between the 3 kinds. I have looked on archive.org to compare but of course I can’t find many on there to compare. I have read what Oade.com has to say on there mods but to me they seem fairly vague  ???. Has anyone compared the three or even two? I just figured I'd throw that out there and see what you folks had to say.

I might be mistaken, but I think the P-mod came later than some of the other mods.
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Burnt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 08:32:15 AM »
I have owned a P-mod now for 2-3 months and love it.   8)

I've got large diaphragm mics so the warm mod was a no-no (unless you like really muddy recordings) and felt the I wanted a little something extra added to the mid/upper end of the sound spectrum so Transparent also was not considered much.  That left the Presence mod which does bring the recording a little more up front and alive, at least IMHO.

The only comparison I ever did was I listened to ALL the soundclips that the Oades had on their website for days.  I just wish they had used mics that were a little more common so I could have got a better idea of the sound differences beforehand.

As to why there don't seem to be as many around, don't know.  They are a tiny bit more expensive then the other 2 mods, maybe that had something to do with it?
AKG C4000 > P-mod UA-5 > NJB3 (48KHz) > SVU-2
DPA 4061 (x1, hat mounted) > MPS 6010 > P-mod UA-5 >  NJB3 (48KHz)

Looking for another 4061 or even a pair of 406x mics to replace my single.  Please help me stealth in stereo.

Offline Brian

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 12:16:38 PM »
back when i bought my w-mod ua5(first rig) it seemed to me that the w-mod got the most fluff here and was said to be compatible with a lot more microphones.  whether that's true or not....i don't know.  At that time only the digi, warm and presence mods were available.   Now, I've heard different recordings with most of the different mods and liked them all so YMMV.

As a n00b, i succomb to the TS.com peer pressure....i admit it ::) :P

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 12:59:50 PM »

I might be mistaken, but I think the P-mod came later than some of the other mods.

I might be mistaken aswell, But I believe the T-mod was the latest ...

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 02:32:56 PM »
On the latest CO team thread I arranged with another CO taper to switch UA-5's for one of the three WSP shows at Red Rocks. That should be interesting. I'm looking forward to hearing the difference between the two. I expect the w-mod will give me a better low end. We'll have to see. I'll keep you guys posted.

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 02:56:34 PM »

I might be mistaken aswell, But I believe the T-mod was the latest ...

or is it the + mod?  :P
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 05:11:09 PM »
It was warm, presence and transparent later on. At about the same time as Doug developed the T mod, he added the plus option which improves p48 and the rca in signal path as well as something else that I am drawing a blank on.

Not sure why the W's are the most common. I'd say p's and t's are about 30% and 20% of the total # of mods, but that's just an educated guess based on who I know runs what.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 01:23:05 AM »
I wouldn't say that the wmod w/LDs would automatically produce muddy tapes. My favorite with the ADK tls is the warm by far.

jessedscott

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 01:23:31 AM »
I have one, It works great! makes a good tape/recording. I like it with the V2 in front, as well as the MP2...+T for the P!

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 09:22:26 PM »
I wouldn't say that the wmod w/LDs would automatically produce muddy tapes. My favorite with the ADK tls is the warm by far.
Thats what I was gonna say, I would have loved to try my TLs through a wmod when I had them... Im trying to decide what mod to get for myself, I feel like the 391/3s really loose their high end from a distance... Doug recomends the T, but my gut feeling is the P. I loved my 391s with my DMIC which I felt was a pretty bright pre... Any opinions?

Offline krebsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 10:50:24 PM »
I ran 391/393 > T-mod+ a few times. I thought they paired well. It was a very balanced sound. Nice tight bottom end, clear highs, no mud. I think I may have a 393 >T+ SKB recording over on the archive.
"Two wrongs don't make a right. Three rights make a left."

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 02:47:12 PM »
I have a P-mod, I just don't put up my recordings on that inter-web thingy ;)
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 10:11:27 PM »
I got my p-mod UA-5 right after they became available.  I emailed back and forth with Doug a bit and he said it was just a matter of taste.  I tend more towards brighter more detailed seasoning with my tapes and the p-mod was a better fit for that.  That said, I was never very happy with the p-mod->MC-012 combination.  I'm much happier with my current p-mod->AT 3035.

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 01:22:46 PM »
Here's some of my better recordings with the p-mod if you're interested in a listen.

Particle 2004-09-17
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=22877

John Butler Trio 2004-09-17
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=19737

Rose Hill Drive 2004-09-19
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=22874

Donavon Frankenreiter 2005-02-22 (Rick's  Schoeps MK4 > Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 > modSBM-1 > Sony D100 recording is up to compare.  FYI, his is stack mine is X/Y DFC)
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=22842
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Ray76

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 01:28:38 PM »
the tape i have of the wmod ua5 with my at 4050 LDs smokes. nothin muddy about it.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?returnto=%2Faccount-cp.php&id=47076

if you want to d/l let me know and i will seed. it SMOKES!
Ray

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com