Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for portable mixers  (Read 2867 times)

Offline The KoNE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Les Films Koniques
Looking for portable mixers
« on: October 17, 2005, 12:57:36 AM »
Hiya there,

First post here.

I'm looking for a budget portable mixer for film sound. I have 250 CAD$ and cannot stretch. I've had experience recording with the shure stuff, FP-22 and 32, and those units are exactly what I want but cannot affort. I have to find something that offers me 2 channels XLR with switchable Phantom power (to drive two Audio Technica 815b lobars) and has battery life of at least four hours with disposable or rechargeable batteries. I've seen most of the pro stuff which I cannot afford : Sony, Wendt, Shure (crap, even the FP24 is out of my reach!), Sound Devices... I just want to cry. On the other hand, I've seen the Samson Mixpad 4 to be an interesting alternative : runs on three 9 volts regular batteries (altough it only gives me 4 hours recording at best). Nothing else has came up.

Please help me.
The King of No Eyes

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
Re: Looking for portable mixers
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 01:04:47 AM »
I've never used a mixpad, but if you don't want to use it only because of power then you could build a power supply.  Might be the best thing for your budget.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 01:07:29 AM »
Beringer makes a portable mixer. Don't know the model though. sorry.

edit: do you just need it for 2 channels? for a long time? if it's just for a short time you can borrow my Edirol UA-5.  I'm in Montreal too, and have a battery pack for it.
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline The KoNE

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Les Films Koniques
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 01:28:07 AM »
Unitmonster : That's the MXB1002 and UBB1002, but, well... I'm not too hot about behringer. My band partner has one and god I hate it. Noisy as hell. As for your edirol, I'm very open to renting stuff but I need something that can output to the camera or a MD (NZ-707) deck.  Renting pro stuff in Mtl for filmmaking is pretty expensive. Most places like Main Film, and Video Service require deposits and/or subscription which run from 70$ to the total value of the rented hardware's price (too much). Otherwise it's down to porfessional insurance which I don't have. I'm still a student.  :-[ If you know someone that's willing to rent his equipement, I'm interested!

bagtagsell : Power supply is no good, we're planning to shoot travelings where I must have sync sound (in synchro with the image), I must be totally free of wires, hence portable mixer. I had thought about carring a car battery with an inverter but I'll die from the weight after an hour. So far the mixpad is my best buy but I don't know who sells it in montreal.

The King of No Eyes

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 10:31:36 AM »
Kone, the UA-5 has 2 xlr and stereo RCA ins, and coax, optical and 1/4" outs, which I think would do the trick. How long do you need it for?

Offline The KoNE

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Les Films Koniques
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 01:05:24 AM »
Kone, the UA-5 has 2 xlr and stereo RCA ins, and coax, optical and 1/4" outs, which I think would do the trick. How long do you need it for?

Really? Sorry, I've been very quickly through info about it ^^; It's got outs? (movie stress has turned me into the last of idiots ; our production director has cought mononucleosis and ditched us a week before the auditions with all the calls unanswered and cancelled her voicemail box. We're trying to clean up the mess and do our own job. It's raining hell. Very long story. Again, sorry, my IQ isn't reaching much higher than 12 today.) We'd need for three weekends + one floating day. That would make it the october 29th, 30th, and novenber 5th, 6th and 12th. The floating day may very well be a weekend day.

Uhhh... I just noticed it needs a power adapter. :( That means a car battery on my back. :( Oh, despair of inadequate and reasonably priced audio tools indie filmmaking. :(

Well, thanks for your generosity. I'll look around a bit before. I'd like to buy a mixer for home use too and might just get one of those crazy mini soundcrafts (used of course :D ). [Soundcraft Folio Notepad, check it out. It's pretty neat!]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 01:17:15 AM by The KoNE »
The King of No Eyes

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 07:15:31 AM »

Uhhh... I just noticed it needs a power adapter. :( That means a car battery on my back. :( Oh, despair of inadequate and reasonably priced audio tools indie filmmaking. :(

The UA-5 is easily powered by portable DVD batteries, which are much smaller and lighter. See the "Remote Power" section for more details.

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 09:25:58 AM »
My UA-5 is powered by a remote control car battery (weighs about 0.5kg and fits in your jeans pocket).  It'll power the mixer for probably about 7 hours. If you want to try this drop me a line and you can borrow it for the 29th, 30th.  I'm in Mile End at St. Viateur and Parc.  279-3051.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com