Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which pre > A/D combo would you use?  (Read 6153 times)

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
Which pre > A/D combo would you use?
« on: November 26, 2005, 10:24:23 PM »
Hey,

I am interested in hearing your opinion on which set-up you would run if you were in this situation.

I would like to sell some of my gear and narrow it down to one recording set-up.

I am wondering what combination of units would you guys keep? And what would you get rid of? Or would you sell everything and buy a V3, Sound Devices 722 or Marantz 671 (24 bit)?

I have not gotten a chance to use any set-ups listed except for the digimod UA-5 > Marantz PMD670 (because I just got everything else very recently). I like the sound, but am limited to only 16 bit with the Marantz.

I know I should trust my own ears, but I won't be able to test these different combinations until next week at the earliest and just want to see what everyone says.

Thanks!

Outboard Preamps and A/D's I currently own:

01. Oade digi-mod UA-5
02. Apogee Mini-Me
03. Apogee Mini-MP

Recorders I own:

01. M-Audio Microtrack (24 bit)
02. Marantz PMD670(16 bit)

Oh, I most likely will be running Neumann KM140's in front of everything.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Which pre > A/D combo would you use?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 11:00:34 PM »
Heh-heh...if it were me...I'd sell all but the KM140s and MT2496 and either:

<1> buy a V3 and pocket the leftover cash
<2> buy a V2 + Mytek Stereo192 ADC

But really, I think you ought to keep all that gear and run it for a while, borrow my V3 to see if you dig it, (buy a Mytek Stereo192 ADC, use it, then sell it to me cheap) and then decide what your ears like best.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 11:23:25 PM »
T plus mod the Oade Digi mod UA-5 if you want a cheaper 'V3'-like 24bit solution.  It won't quite be a V3 but it will cost you way less (since you are half way there already).  I think it is $250 for the T plus mod ontop of your Oade Digi mod.  I assume it really is a Oade Digi-mod, 'cause if it ain't, this doesn't apply to you at all.  Listen to Brian's comp of the T plus UA-5 vs the V3 and decide for yourself:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=53535.0

Offline hammerhorror

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 11:31:10 PM »

How about I keep the Mini-MP instead of getting a V2 and get a Mytek ADC to go with it? BTW I can get a Mytek Stereo96 ADC for $800.00. How important would it be to get the 192khz version?

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 11:40:54 PM »
stereo96 doesn't do DC in, I believe.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 11:41:41 PM »
How about I keep the Mini-MP instead of getting a V2 and get a Mytek ADC to go with it?

I'm not real familiar with the MP, so...dunno.  If you hang onto it, you're welcome to borrow my V3 sometime for comparison's sake.

BTW I can get a Mytek Stereo96 ADC for $800.00. How important would it be to get the 192khz version?

If you want to run it easily on batteries, gotta get the 192.  According to Mytek's website, the 96 runs on AC power, while the 192 also runs on 7-12v DC.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline hammerhorror

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 11:47:36 PM »
stereo96 doesn't do DC in, I believe.

If you want to run it easily on batteries, gotta get the 192.  According to Mytek's website, the 96 runs on AC power, while the 192 also runs on 7-12v DC.

You are both correct. I just did some research on Mytek's Website.  :(

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 12:29:02 AM »
Really, play with what you got.  I don't know much about the MiniMP.  The MiniMe isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.  I think it is a great all in one solution box and I think it is a great piece of gear that has a place at certain situations. 

Have you run any combo of this gear yet?  If the answer is no, you should go and run it and then decide.  I think throwin money around is not the solution...besides, what you got is pretty awesome.  Listen to other people's rigs.  Lots of KM184, KM140 > V3, MiniMe, mod UA-5, Sonosax-modSBM stuff on archive.org

Offline hammerhorror

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 01:16:24 AM »
Have you run any combo of this gear yet?  If the answer is no, you should go and run it and then decide.

The only combo I have been able to run so far is Oade digi-mod UA-5 > Marantz PMD670. I will be getting a chance to run the different combos next week. I'm taping 4 shows next week!

I just think it's fun and informative to hear what other people would do. That way I can apply what people say in this thread to my own opinions when I actually get a chance to run the gear myself.  :)

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 01:51:50 AM »
Heh-heh...if it were me...I'd sell all but the KM140s and MT2496 and either:

<1> buy a V3 and pocket the leftover cash

But really, I think you ought to keep all that gear and run it for a while, borrow my V3 to see if you dig it, (buy a Mytek Stereo192 ADC, use it, then sell it to me cheap) and then decide what your ears like best.

What's the hype on this Mytek unit?  Any cops or reviews out there?
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 02:02:22 AM »
The V2 > Mytek192 solution would be fantastic. I run V2>AD2K and can't imagine running anything else. Well, except for the Benchmark ADC1, which for some insane reason is an AC powered device. I called them up and asked them about that (they were very nice) and they said they felt that AC power is usually be provided for location recording.  ??? Anyway, they said if enough people emailed them asking for a DC powered version that it could be possible - there would have to be a high enough demand - and with 12361 members on this board...

rambling sorry

The MMP would work very well with the ad2k....

edit: only a few hours left

http://cgi.ebay.com/Benchmark-Sonic-AD2K-24bit-A-D-converter-with-extras_W0QQitemZ7368357498QQcategoryZ3278QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 02:14:34 AM by cmc64 »
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 03:03:39 AM »
The V2 > Mytek192 solution would be fantastic. I run V2>AD2K and can't imagine running anything else. Well, except for the Benchmark ADC1, which for some insane reason is an AC powered device. I called them up and asked them about that (they were very nice) and they said they felt that AC power is usually be provided for location recording.  ??? Anyway, they said if enough people emailed them asking for a DC powered version that it could be possible - there would have to be a high enough demand - and with 12361 members on this board...

rambling sorry

Ok, if you already have a V2, and you're looking at $800-$1000+ A/D solutions why not step into a V3?  I've heard the Mytek name, but I've never HEARD a Mytek, at least not that I'm aware of.  Is there suppose to be some gain with going to the Mytek's A/D as opposed to the V3? 

Mytek uses the CS5396 chip, what's in the V3?
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline 284201

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 03:44:11 AM »
Ok, if you already have a V2, and you're looking at $800-$1000+ A/D solutions why not step into a V3?  I've heard the Mytek name, but I've never HEARD a Mytek, at least not that I'm aware of.  Is there suppose to be some gain with going to the Mytek's A/D as opposed to the V3? 

I can't speak for anybody else, but personally, I don't particularly like the idea of an "all-in-one" box.  I realize I'm in the vast minority here, but I'm just more comfortable with the idea that a device should do one thing, and do it well. 

And before any of you start with the "But dude, your Mini-Me is an all-in-one LOL WTF!!!11!!" crap, let me just clarify by saying that I only run it line-in. And I know, I can't bypass the pre.   :P

Anyway, my take:  Ain't nothin' wrong with MMP > MME.  Or, if you want to sell some gear and expirment a bit, there's a whole ton of possibilities.  That's what great about dedicated boxes: there's so many ways to manipulate the sound. And, as far as pre-amp's go, no matter what new technology comes out, a great analog pre will always be just that.

I certainly enjoy my Grace > Apogee set-up, so there's a vote for that.  As far as the question about Mytek, I've been seriously considering ditching the MME in favor of a Stereo192, because their A>D really does sound that damn good.  Listen to the comps on their website for some studio stuff, or some of Chris Jones' recordings.  True, a lot of that stuff is stack, but I believe there's some Red Rocks tapes out there.  Even if you're not a DMB fan (for the record, I could go either way), they're nice just as a point of reference.

If it was me, I'd sell the UA5 and the Marantz, and throw the money towards another pre or a/d so you can A/B some different boxes and see what you like.

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 06:39:30 AM »
I own the mytek, it just sounds great to me.

there are 3 shows I recorded with it in the chain in the kickdowns.

Teddy

rambling sorry

« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 06:42:06 AM by Teddy »

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 08:15:07 AM »
Speaking solely as someone who ran KM140s for awhile....go V3>Microtrack.

The Neumann/V3 combo is hard to beat...and the ability to do 24 bit (even if it's just 24/48 for now) with the Microtrack makes it even better.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com