Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Small Stealth Preamp?  (Read 16766 times)

CHURCH-AUDIO

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Small Stealth Preamp?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2006, 10:38:07 AM »
I should not say this but I love the retro looking CB mic cable on it too :) makes me want to say breaker breaker good buddy.

Is it just me or at 4.75" by 9" by 2.5" the Reactive sounds spa-2 doesn`t seem to be that stealthy? 9 inches that`s pretty big and not the type of thing you can easily hide on your person

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2006, 10:47:56 AM »
Yeah, the CB style mic cable really looks professional.   ;)
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2006, 12:24:46 PM »
Has anyone used any of their stuff?  Reading the following on their page about the "reporter mic" made me question them a little bit: An omni directional back electret microphone located in the tip picks up sound with a flat frequency response. This is an ideal situation for recording voices in noisy area’s.

Wouldn't a card make more sense for interviews in noisy areas?  The omni will just pick up all the noise along with the interview dialog.

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2006, 12:35:20 PM »
An omni close up is good you can reduce the gain and get a more natural sound most real reporter mics are omni because you might have a group of people you are trying to record that being said. It would not be good to have an omni mic so close to a recorder we make one, I dont sell alot of them they have there place I make mine out of rubber to reduce, Handeling noise there is a dude in the UK that copyed my design and is making big $$$ i guess in the UK they love there little omni reporter mics.

Has anyone used any of their stuff?  Reading the following on their page about the "reporter mic" made me question them a little bit: An omni directional back electret microphone located in the tip picks up sound with a flat frequency response. This is an ideal situation for recording voices in noisy area’s.

Wouldn't a card make more sense for interviews in noisy areas?  The omni will just pick up all the noise along with the interview dialog.

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2006, 12:43:20 PM »
Interesting.  I wonder how their Auris stereo mics stack up to others in the price range.  I assume the reporter mic and pen mic are based on the popular panasonic capsule but don't know for sure.  I guess I could also do a search on there and find out  :)

Offline corsair

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2006, 10:11:41 PM »
Interesting.  I wonder how their Auris stereo mics stack up to others in the price range.  I assume the reporter mic and pen mic are based on the popular panasonic capsule but don't know for sure.  I guess I could also do a search on there and find out  :)

Not sure about the reporter and pen mics, but the Auris is also based on the same Panasonic caps, like Core Sound and others do... For roughly the same thing, it looks slightly better built and at a lower price...
Audio-Technica ES943/C's -> Home-made 3-wire battery box -> Tascam DR-07

Offline corsair

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2006, 10:51:29 PM »
Is it just me or at 4.75" by 9" by 2.5" the Reactive sounds spa-2 doesn`t seem to be that stealthy? 9 inches that`s pretty big and not the type of thing you can easily hide on your person

You need glasses or better ones.. Its 0.9 "

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2006, 11:07:07 PM »
i don't personally own a Reactive Sounds preamp, but i thought i'd chime in here.

to me, one can make fun of the appearance of a unit, but who cares? my main concerns with a unit (recorder, mics, preamp, battery box, etc.) are, in no particular oder: quality of performance, quality of desgin/parts used, reliability, price point. i use an R-1 for pete's sake, and i'm not sure if anyone would consider that unit "attractive" or "sleek" or "cool looking" by any stretch. but it's extremely reliable, provides excellent sound quality, and is at a good price point.

curly cable? who cares?! i'm more interested in knowing how well this Boostbox performs/how well it sounds.

for the record, I didn't think my D7, D8, nor M1 looked all that great either. but i see most live recording units as being utilitarian i.e. "will it competently get the job done and get the job done well"), not about how fashionable the unit looks.

i might have a shot at trying out the Boostbox in about a month, and i can't wait. the only things i would change, and this is for functionality's sake, is that it would provide 3-wire powering and have a right-angle mini-plug. but oh, well, it's no big deal.

Offline schoff

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2006, 08:24:26 AM »

You need glasses or better ones.. Its 0.9 "

Well that makes a bit more sence.  ;D

Thanks for the correction

Offline schoff

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2006, 08:39:03 AM »
So how do people feel about the Sound Pro SP preamp compared with the the Reactive sounds spa-2?

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2006, 09:30:20 AM »
I think thats a good preamp. I have tested it. IMO our preamp is just as good although we do not provide 50 db of gain. But there are different preamps for different applications. Ours are not perfect for every single application out there. That being said, the same with some of the other makers of preamps. One thing people have to remember if you want them as small as we build them about the size of a pack of smokes. You are not going to get all the features of a full size studio preamp. How ever with out prodiuct you still get a great sounding preamp. At a great price.

So how do people feel about the Sound Pro SP preamp compared with the the Reactive sounds spa-2?

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2006, 05:40:29 PM »
I think thats a good preamp. I have tested it. IMO our preamp is just as good although we do not provide 50 db of gain. But there are different preamps for different applications. Ours are not perfect for every single application out there. That being said, the same with some of the other makers of preamps. One thing people have to remember if you want them as small as we build them about the size of a pack of smokes. You are not going to get all the features of a full size studio preamp. How ever with out prodiuct you still get a great sounding preamp. At a great price.

I imagine these are all similar (although SP would not disclose the contents of their preamp!), but you (Church) have got them way beat on price!  +T for that.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline corsair

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2006, 05:29:14 AM »
Well, to show ur appreciation. U can forward one of such preamps to me for free.  8)

We now have a clip light thanks to you I got off my ass and designed one :)

Chris Church

Offline corsair

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2006, 09:46:08 AM »
 ;D I will think about it.. this offer is lifetime right?  ::)

hummm No
Tell you what I will give you 25% off the price

Chris Church

Well, to show ur appreciation. U can forward one of such preamps to me for free.  8)

We now have a clip light thanks to you I got off my ass and designed one :)

Chris Church

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2006, 11:28:06 PM »
I was pretty much wondering the same thing.  My mics handle 125dB with standard SP battery box, and heavy bass distorts them

should I just sell this batt box and score one of these preamps? i want the least amount of gear possible for a good undisrted sound and easy stealthing
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com