Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is Oade's P/W/T mod info pinned anywhere?  (Read 2960 times)

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Is Oade's P/W/T mod info pinned anywhere?
« on: March 14, 2006, 02:41:05 PM »
this link has been dead for awhile, but I'd still like to know more about the mod's (specifically, his description).
http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/Digital_Converters/Edirol_UA5.html

"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
Re: Is Oade's P/W/T mod info pinned anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 02:47:05 PM »
http://tinyurl.com/fajqz

...via the wayback machine.

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 02:54:53 PM »
awesome. thanks!
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 03:21:31 PM »
rePrinted for posperity:

#

Oade Brothers Audio Offers two mods for the UA5 !

# The first mod enables the digital coax and optical outputs for stand alone operation without a computer. It can also be used with a computer to output data simultaneously to a both coax and optical digital connectors, in addition to your computer ! The mod disables the digital output from a computer to the UA5 via the USB port, so you cannot send data from the computer to the UA5 on the USB buss. This does not affect your ability to record with it, only your ability to send data from your hard drive to the UA5 via USB.
# The second series of MODs add an analog input rebuild. This replaces the input capacitors, which are SMD electrolytic ( higher distortion and noise) with SMD film caps ( lower distortion and noise) as well as the input Op Amps. We use very high grade, very low noise Op Amps for this, chosen by ear for a natural and pleasing sound. Three versions are available to suit the tastes and needs of any recordist. The first is the Warm MOD © which gives the UA5 a warmer sound, with better depth and high frequency character. Tube like in character with a huge soundstage that satisfies the tube lover ! The second "flavor" available is the Presence MOD©, chosen by ear for a maximum clarity and detail. This mod gives the UA5 a more "up front" sound, with better presence and high frequency detail. The third version available is the Transparency MOD©, chosen by ear for a neutrality, speed and detail. This mod gives the UA5 a very fast and clean sound that accurately conveys the character of the source. All three MODs disable the 1/4" inputs on the front panel, leaving the front panel XLR's and rear panel RCA inputs intact. For computer only use, any of the three analog input MODs can be ordered without the digital output MOD.
# We also offer a PLUS MOD that can be applied to any of the three analog input MODs. This further reduces noise and distortions in the UA5 by improving the DC supplies, phantom power and RCA inputs.

Warm MOD (WMOD), Presence MOD (PMOD) and Transparency MOD (TMOD) Copyright 2003, 2004 by Doug Oade

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 03:53:43 PM »
The descriptions from the Oade Bros site are also in the UA5 FAQ, now, along with a couple quotes from Doug on his messageboard regarding the Transparent and PLUS mods.  I previously had the W/P description from the Wayback Machine, but didn't find the Transparent.  Thanks for the link, LarrySellers.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 06:47:18 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Mark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 11:15:16 AM »
Semi-off topic question.............

If someone is interested in modding their UA-5 themselves,(using identical components) such as a (W/T/P mod), is this copyright infringement?  I see that the above paste from Oade's sight has the copyright symbol and years it was imposed.  Maybe I am misunderstanding this from Patent Pending, since I did not see that listed, nor a patent number.  Anyone care to clarify?

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 11:24:35 AM »
the oades remove the identifying info from the parts they use to modify the units.  Further, the oades place a seal on the case of each modded unit.  Removal of the seal voids the warranty.

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • There is nothing you can hold, for very long.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 07:54:32 PM »
the other bri asked for the following link...

http://taperssection.com/reference/pdf/Manual_EdirolUA5.pdf

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 08:07:44 PM »
Semi-off topic question.............

If someone is interested in modding their UA-5 themselves,(using identical components) such as a (W/T/P mod), is this copyright infringement?  I see that the above paste from Oade's sight has the copyright symbol and years it was imposed.  Maybe I am misunderstanding this from Patent Pending, since I did not see that listed, nor a patent number.  Anyone care to clarify?

I have no idea, but I would guess that you could mod yours exactly the same, if you knew what parts they used, but just call it something other than W/T/P mod and you would be fine.
I mean how could they ever find out?
Occasionally....music mics record

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com