Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MP-2 noisy left channel  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Zaphod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Sound Devices MP-2 noisy left channel
« on: March 18, 2006, 08:41:49 PM »
SSIA on my MP-2 the left channel (channel 1) has a really loud analog hissing noise when the gain is turned up not even half way. I know it's not my mics because I tested it on both my AT853s as well as my Audix 1290s, I even reversed the inputs, and without fail the left channel hisses. It sounds like the noise floor is higher in the left channel or something. When I turn the gain up in the right channel it's very quiet.

So does anyone have any ideas of how/why this happens, and do I have to send it in to Sound Devices or is there anything I can try?
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Sound Devices MP-2 noisy left channel
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 01:28:53 AM »
I think  you need to get the pots cleaned....call SD and tell them the problem you are having...they should be able to instruct

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 03:53:38 PM »
Sound Devices called and they want me to send it in  :-\

He said it sounds like the pot might need to be cleaned or replaced and that it'd be about $100 bucks, but he'll throw in the rechargable battery mod with it.

I'll report back once it's all said and done.

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 10:03:45 PM »
They recieved the MP-2 on 3/22 had it back out on 3/24:

Replaced diodes in channel 1 circuit
Adjusted the external DC connector
Passed the factory bench test

I haven't had a chance to talk with the tech about why they had to adjust the DC connector or how a diode can go bad, not that I'm pissed, its just good to know these things. Anyone have any idea about it?

I'll get a hold of the tech and see what he says though.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 07:53:18 AM »
I wouldnt worry too much about it.  When I sent mine in for the rechargeable fix, they found out that I had a fracture on the circuit board where the xlr connection was mounted so they replaced it...just a result of them doing a thorough once over...same thing probably happened with yours...

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 12:49:47 PM »
Yeah, thanks Nick. They did put it the spring for the battery mod and just charged me for the part, gotta love their great customer service.

I also wanted to mentioned the above repair was $96 bucks that includes the two day shipping.

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 03:06:45 PM »
Yeah, thanks Nick. They did put it the spring for the battery mod and just charged me for the part, gotta love their great customer service.

I also wanted to mentioned the above repair was $96 bucks that includes the two day shipping.

You do not really need the battery mod. I read from previous post that you can just cut away the plastic around the +ve side of the AA battery to expose the metal. So getting a mod is really something not needed.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 03:07:31 PM »

You do not really need the battery mod. I read from previous post that you can just cut away the plastic around the +ve side of the AA battery to expose the metal. So getting a mod is really something not needed.

by sending it in for the mod you also get a bench test done, which is something that I think is useful

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 03:38:04 PM »

by sending it in for the mod you also get a bench test done, which is something that I think is useful

Agreed, plus it's just a good thing to have if I ever choose to sell it, they didn't even charged me for it either!

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 12:13:52 PM »

Agreed, plus it's just a good thing to have if I ever choose to sell it, they didn't even charged me for it either!

Also, having the mod done allows you to use rechargable batteries that belong to someone else in an emergency, in case your own batteries you're using are bad.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com