Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO: AC plug and dc cable for a V2  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
ISO: AC plug and dc cable for a V2
« on: April 02, 2006, 10:02:01 AM »
Any ideas?  And I see it says 6-12 volts on the back.  Which do people use...the higher or lower end of the spectrum?  Can't use the adaptaplug since it looks like XLR.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
Re: ISO: AC plug and dc cable for a V2
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 10:22:27 AM »
yes, the power connection on the V2 is a 4-pin XLR.  anywhere in the 6-12V range will give equal performace, so don't worry about that.  I think most people use 6V, simply because 6V batteries are generally lighter & smaller than 12 V batteries.

one thing that needs to be considered, however, is what the V2 is calibrated for.  because it is bad for lead-acid batteries to be fully and completely disacharged, the units can be set for either 12V or 6V batteries.  the setting is a cut-off voltage, below which, the unit will shut off, or won't even turn on.  So, if you're V2 is calibrated for 12V, the cut-off voltage is probably somewhere around 10.5V (I'm not sure exactly where).  so if you tried to use a 6V battery, the V2 wouldn't ever turn on.  On the other hand, if your unit was calibrated for a 6V battery, the cut-off voltage is around 5V.  then, when a 6V battery is losing power (and the voltage drops), the V2 would turn off to save the battery.  You can use a 12V battery to power a unit calibrated for 6V, the only thing is that the V2 would never shut-off, because the low-voltage cut-off would never be reached, and you would be able to completely and fully discharge the battery.  doing so would shorten the overall life-span of the battery.

the other thing to consider is that the V2 will be warm to the touch when using a 12V battery, because there is more energy to dissipate.  however, it's not like the AD-1000, so that shouldn't be a big concern.  just something to know about.

The V2 manual is here:
http://www.gracedesign.com/support/support.htm
that page also has instructions on how to calibrate the cut-off voltage for either a 12V battery or a 6V battery.  and if you don't want to do it yourself, I'm sure you could send it in and they'd do it for you, if you need it done at all...

hope this helps.
 - Jason

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 10:29:07 AM »
Thanks Jason.  So I could probably find out what it's calibrated for by asking the seller what he ran his on right?  Any ideas on where to get a cable?

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 10:36:00 AM »
Thanks Jason.  So I could probably find out what it's calibrated for by asking the seller what he ran his on right?  Any ideas on where to get a cable?

you just bought the one in the yard sale, right?  the one with the M-S / Stereo switch on the front?   Tim stated in his original post that it's currently set to 12V.

as far as where to get a power cable.  well, if you're handy with a soldering iron, it's not that hard to make one yourself.  the pin connections are detailed in the manual.  or, if you don't want to make it yourself, I'm sure someone like ToddR could do it for you for a reasonable price.  what battery are you planning to use to power it?  alternatively, I'm sure you could buy an eco-charge from sonic sense or a similar place, and they'd get it all set up for you, but that'd be your most expensive option...

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 10:38:42 AM »
Sweet.  I missed that.  I'll hit Todd R up.  12 volt it is as I have 5 ESI lithium ions already.  +t Jason!

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 10:43:58 AM »
one other thing I should mention, since you said you're planning to use lithium ion batteries.  The voltage cut-off is linked with the low battery light.  it was designed with sealed lead-acid batteries in mind.  the lead batteries slowly drop in voltage as they discharge, so it's easy to tell when they're getting lower in power.  the lithium batteries have a different discharge pattern, that is, the output voltage remains relatively flat, and then boom, the batteries are dead.  So while it won't hurt to use the lithium batteries, keep in mind that the loew battery light probably won't function as it was originally intended.  again, it won't be a problem, you just have to know how much time you can run the V2 from your batteries, as you won't get a warning before the batteries die.

also, I'm not sure if the li-ion batteries lose overall life-span if they're completely discharged or not.  the lead-acid batteries do, but I don't have much experience with the Lithiums.  just something else to think about...

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 10:55:37 AM »
Thanks for all the input Jason.  It's been so long since I've had a v2.  Doubt the lithium will be an issue for me as I rarely travel and see multi night runs.  Cheers!

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 02:01:34 PM »
Ed @ Kind Cables can make the cable for you for about $25 shippped - i believe he can do them for either SLA or Li-Ion. i had him make a cable for my mp-2 - very well built.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 02:22:31 PM »
Thanks for the heads up about Ed.   One question.  Are all those lithiums the same tips at the battery end?  I'm not sure what to tell him regarding the battery end.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 02:25:30 PM »
Thanks for the heads up about Ed.   One question.  Are all those lithiums the same tips at the battery end?  I'm not sure what to tell him regarding the battery end.

not sure if they are all the same, i would bet most of them are, but you could either send in the tip to him that goes into the battery or I would bet you can find the Tip size in the specs online

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 09:25:43 PM »
ha ha ha - i love how I refer you to Ed and then post a similar thread about looking for a power cable a few days later.

Marijuana affects the Memory  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com