Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Will SP Mod AD-20 Power Studio Projects C4s?  (Read 2905 times)

Offline jbsalt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Call the Shots Video Productions
Will SP Mod AD-20 Power Studio Projects C4s?
« on: May 27, 2006, 05:55:53 AM »
Hi guys.  I'm in the process of buying redbook's SP modified AD-20.  I noticed on the Sound Pro's page that the unit has "plug in power".  Notes that you can plug 9vdc phantom powered or "plug in power" mics directly into preamp without adapter cables or separate battery module. 

Will this have enough power to run a pair of C4s or will I need to buy a PS-2 as well?  Thank you all for your assistance... 

CMC-8> AD-20> iRiver H120

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying."

Offline lordbelial

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
Re: Will SP Mod AD-20 Power Studio Projects C4s?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 09:36:34 AM »
Hi guys.  I'm in the process of buying redbook's SP modified AD-20.  I noticed on the Sound Pro's page that the unit has "plug in power".  Notes that you can plug 9vdc phantom powered or "plug in power" mics directly into preamp without adapter cables or separate battery module. 

Will this have enough power to run a pair of C4s or will I need to buy a PS-2 as well?  Thank you all for your assistance... 

I don't know the supply specs of the C4's but I think the SP mod don't give "phantom power", they have only integrated a 2-wire battery box into the AD-20 so you can avoid the battery box + miniplug > XLR adaptor cable.

Here you can find a picture of my AD-20 with the adapter cable I made.
Actual Gear:

stealth  - AT943 (c,o,sc,h) > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Ultrastealth  - DPA 4061 > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Open - BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Segue Dogstars > Marantz PMD671 busman t-mod

Playback: PC > M-Audio Fast Track Pro > KRK RP6 actives

My shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tapemaniac
Member of  Busman Audio team

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 11:51:57 AM »
Will this have enough power to run a pair of C4s or will I need to buy a PS-2 as well?

The C4's require 48v phantom power.  The mod-AD20 provides lower voltage (9v?) bias power.  The mod-AD20 will not power the C4s for two reasons:

• it does not provide sufficient voltage, and
  • the wiring scheme for bias power is different than the wiring scheme for phantom power.

You're correct in that you'll need a separate phantom power source for your C4s.  The PS2 is one such phantom power source and will do the trick nicely.

IMO you're better of using a stock AD20 with the PS2 for two (maybe three) reasons:

• the PS2 outputs via XLR connectors, so with the mod-AD20 you'll need some adapters to convert the XLRs to the stereo mini;  with the stock AD20, you won't need any adapters; fewer adapters = fewer potential points of failure, fewer things to forget on your way out the door, etc.
  • you'll go through batteries faster on the mod-AD20 because even though you're not using the 9v bias power to power your mics, I think the bias power is "always on"
  • If I were you, I'd confirm with someone (SP directly is probably the best bet) whether or not running the 9v bias power from the mod-AD20 into the PS-2 will pose any problems;  I don't think so, but I'm not a technical expert
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jbsalt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 04:31:56 PM »
Thanks fellers!   :)

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying."

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 06:42:38 PM »

I don't know the supply specs of the C4's but I think the SP mod don't give "phantom power", they have only integrated a 2-wire battery box into the AD-20 so you can avoid the battery box + miniplug > XLR adaptor cable.

Where did you get your knobs to replace the stock ones from the ad-20?
were they a direct fit?

thanks.
 :)

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 09:52:18 PM »
IMO you're better of using a stock AD20 with the PS2 for two (maybe three) reasons:

the PS2 outputs via XLR connectors, so with the mod-AD20 you'll need some adapters to convert the XLRs to the stereo mini;  with the stock AD20, you won't need any adapters; fewer adapters = fewer potential points of failure, fewer things to forget on your way out the door, etc.
you'll go through batteries faster on the mod-AD20 because even though you're not using the 9v bias power to power your mics, I think the bias power is "always on"
If I were you, I'd confirm with someone (SP directly is probably the best bet) whether or not running the 9v bias power from the mod-AD20 into the PS-2 will pose any problems;  I don't think so, but I'm not a technical expert

all of the above is not correct

The mod-AD20 has the orginal xlr input still intact and operational. 

The battery will not run down faster as the mod-ad20 has an extra 9v battery attached to it for 9v power.

The bias power does not pose any problems becasue it is only active in the 1/8" mini plug, not the xlrs
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 11:26:11 PM »
all of the above is not correct

Thanks for the corrections, W, I should've indicated I was basing my comments on vague recollections.  I appreciate the correct facts. In light of the corrections, I'll amend my comments as follows:  not sure it makes sense to spend the extra cash on a modded AD20 (assuming you're not getting a super-duper deal) unless you're using both the XLR and mini inputs.  But that's neither here nor there - sounds like your mind's made up and the mod-AD20 will do what you need.  In which case, jbsalt:  have fun with your new gear!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline lordbelial

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 03:39:29 AM »

Where did you get your knobs to replace the stock ones from the ad-20?
were they a direct fit?

thanks.
 :)

Uhm... Sorry, this Unit came modded. I'll try to figure out who was the one who modded this Ad-20...
Actual Gear:

stealth  - AT943 (c,o,sc,h) > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Ultrastealth  - DPA 4061 > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Open - BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Segue Dogstars > Marantz PMD671 busman t-mod

Playback: PC > M-Audio Fast Track Pro > KRK RP6 actives

My shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tapemaniac
Member of  Busman Audio team

Offline jbsalt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 04:53:33 AM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com