Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Which source do you prefer?

I prefer source A
I prefer source B
No preference
My ears are fried, just show me the results

Author Topic: [comp] V3 vs. R09 (revised)  (Read 11733 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: [comp] V3 vs. R09 (revised)
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 05:48:30 PM »

What I think would also be interesting is running some type of splitter, as such:

Mics > splitter >
  V3 > microtrack 24/48 (or whatever "bit bucket")
  R-09 line in, 24/48, trim setting 8

It seems the above would maybe be a little more "scientific" since it would really isolate the V3's ADC vs. the R-09's internal ADC with no intermingling of the two.

What you describe would be both a pre and A/D comp.  The gotcha with that is the sonic impact of the splitter.  I think it could muck things up in ways that aren't obvious.  You'd be changing the impedance of the system.  Many devices have variable impedance. That could interact with the other device to make one of them look worse than it really is, etc.  You could have the impedance 'pulsing' to the beat of the bass, etc?

Similarly, there can be a dramatic differences in the quality of 48v supplied by the preamp. So when you combine them...?

I ran a comp like that a couple weeks ago:

mg > splitter
 > bg1 > 722
 > v3 coax > mt
   v3 > r09

That one didn't turn out so good..  I've used the mic splitter before and it has worked well.  I usually turn on the phantom from both pre-amps. On that night I only turned on the phantom on one pre.. probably because I'd turned on a few too many margaritas before the show.  The recording sounds messed up and overloaded.   I've been kinda baffled about it.  When I noticed the phase problem on that cable I was glad and hoped that would resolve the issue. It did not.  I am now thinking that the single 48v phantom source was insufficient to power the mics and overcome whatever additional load came from the other pre-amp.  That's just a guess.  Could be that the MGs don't like to drive the dual loads.

The r09 input is unbalanced.. So when you go from most preamps > r09 you must use a cable to convert the balanced signal to unbalanced.  There are a few ways to wire that cable. Vandenhul suggests different configs depending on the type of balanced output drvier on the preamp.

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 08:07:02 AM »
SPOILERS FOLLOW!

A= V3 > R09
B= V3 A/D > MT

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 08:34:54 AM »
interesting.

I knew that r9 sounded freakin' great.
I wouldnt' hesitate to run it as my main deck w/a nice preamp in front of it.
wonder what v2>r9 VS. V3 would sound like. 

damn..i've got to sell some cables so I can replace mine.  Maybe I'll dump my 671.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 08:45:06 AM »
great comp freelunch - thanks for setting it up
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 08:47:28 AM »
wonder what v2>r9 VS. V3 would sound like. 

considering that the pre-amp in the V3 is just about identical to the V2, v2>r09 would sound just about the same as the v3>r09 :)

kskreider

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 09:00:20 AM »
A= V3 > R09
B= V3 A/D > MT

Nice.  Thanks for the comp!

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 11:56:00 AM »
great comp freelunch - thanks for setting it up

Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 07:47:19 PM »

considering that the pre-amp in the V3 is just about identical to the V2, v2>r09 would sound just about the same as the v3>r09 :)

dont get smart w/me, mister!
;-)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2006, 10:44:39 PM »
Rats, didn't get a chance to d/l and listen before the results posting, but gave it a listen.  I definitely hear differences while ABX-ing.  FWIW, my comments...

I hear better detail across the board in B.  The HF percussion sings and rings, has a more defined attack and smoother, longer decay.  Better detail in the mids on B, but a bit more up front in A.  The bass stood out to me right away - looser and less defined in A, tighter and more natural sounding to my ears in B.  Overall, I found the sounstage more coherent in B.  All in all, I preferred B pretty strongly, but A certainly doesn't sound bad, not by any stretch.  (And I love the music - I'd love to hear longer samples, or the whole recording.)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2006, 12:32:18 PM »
Rats, didn't get a chance to d/l and listen before the results posting, but gave it a listen.  I definitely hear differences while ABX-ing.  FWIW, my comments...

I guess I could put the results in a file for download instead of posting but if you read the thread you'll always get the comments of those who have figured it out..

(And I love the music - I'd love to hear longer samples, or the whole recording.)

Recording that night was kinda funny.. I don't want to turn this thread into one of Those threads but here goes..   First, I saw on Billy's website that the band had been robbed two nights earlier in kansas. It sure does seem to be happening a lot recently.. Billy lost his guitar, amp and some other items. I was really surprised the he did not have a borrowed guitar on stage.  So I'm sure the show was a little odd for him since he is obviously accustomed to standing behind a guitar..

Soundcheck ran late so they let us in late and we didn't have much time to get permission and setup (10-15 mins). We were pretty sure recording would be fine.  One of my taper buddies asked the soundguy to ask permission.  Several minutes later he came back and said 'he wants to say hello'.. Uh oh...   So my buddy does the long walk back there..  But I'm thinking cool.. this means I have more time to setup..

My buddy returns and says we're good..  But right before the band walks on he says that Billy told him he wanted his tape after the show and he would mail it back to him. So my buddy suggested that I might want to tear down quickly after the show.  Then the band came out..   After the show I heard more detail. They want to do some releases. They told him 'tonight you're taping for us for free...'  Those of us who tape regularly at this non-profit venue are all for the bands making some money off of our recordings if they can. But I didn't really like how this all sounded..

But, also.. The man was just robbed of his guitar. So I think that mitigates everything and this just becomes a funny story we'll joke about for a long while "We're okay to tape but he wants you to come back and say hello. Oh yeah, he said to bring your DAT deck.." So I don't see this one getting seeded.  But, Brian, shoot me a pm with your address and I'll send you a copy.

Offline Phil

• Taperssection Member
  • Control for smilers can't be bought
    • BitTorrentMusic.com
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2006, 04:03:15 PM »
Thanks Freelunch! 

Great comp.

Now who's got my R-9? :P
AKG 481 > V3 > MT2496 or VXpocket 440 > Laptop

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 07:17:23 PM »
My thanks as well!
My R-09 arrives soon! :)

Offline rdvdijk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Rust Radio
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2007, 08:34:29 AM »
where have the results gone? do poll-results expire after a while?
"Obviously Doing Well.."

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2007, 02:02:46 PM »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2007, 03:27:47 PM »
link?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.155 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com