Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zefiro Inbox/Denecke AD-20 vs. Church ST9100  (Read 2142 times)

Offline MarkE

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Zefiro Inbox/Denecke AD-20 vs. Church ST9100
« on: September 25, 2006, 10:40:33 AM »
Hello all,

So Im looking for some input on this.. I currently use Sonic Studio DSM-6s Mics and a custom 1/8" to XLR (w/ mic power and bass rolloff) to a Zefiro Inbox (Denecke AD-20) to a Iriver H120. Im kinda looking to downsize a little.. I dont really want to run the Sonics to the Iriver directly. Id prefer some type of Preamp.. I am trying to get away from the bulkiness of the Zefiro w/ the battery box plugged in.. The Church 9100 preamp seems to be the choice... Im wondering what advantages it has and/or disadvantge.. I dont mind losing the outboard A/D if the sound dosent suffer to much by using the a/d in the Iriver.. I tape mostly rock shows (stealth)...

Advange of Zefiro.....
20 bit A/D converter w/ optical
Not using the a/d of Iriver
Battery box w/ power & Roll off ( Im sure Church pre can be changed to do this)

Disadvantage of Zefiro
Size (Especially w/ Batt Box)
Size
and did I mention size?

And on a seperate note.. How bout the Church mics.. Im sure their good, but are they AS GOOD as the Sonics? Ive always really like the Sonics (as long as they have a bass rolloff).. Id love to hear some opinions on this.....

Thanks for reading,
Mark E
open: Dpa 4022 > Naiant Midbox> Edirol R-09hr or iRiver H120
Stealth : Sonic Studios DSM-6S > Custom Battery Box> Edirol R-09hr
Stealth : Nevaton MCE400 > Naiant Tinybox > Edirol R-09hr

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Zefiro Inbox/Denecke AD-20 vs. Church ST9100
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 11:18:11 AM »
Doesnt the AD-20 add some amount of gain - no matter what - thus making it easy to overload...???

Offline T-90

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
Re: Zefiro Inbox/Denecke AD-20 vs. Church ST9100
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 05:27:09 PM »
Doesnt the AD-20 add some amount of gain - no matter what - thus making it easy to overload...???

a min of +17db on the ad20.....i have both these boxes and just started playing with ca cards>ca st9100>jb3 and i think it sounds fine, esp for the price....much much smaller that the ad20 and more gain control, but no A/D on the 9100.....the ca mics sound great for the price and are well built.....not sure how they compare to your sonics, not familiar with them......also the batt life in the st9100 is about 10x that of the ad20....i am gonna run the 9100>ad20>ja3 to use the ad20 A/D and see if it sounds any different than the jb3's, which i suspect it will.....overall i like the st-9100 and if the A/D converter is not an issue, you should like it as well 
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com