Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roll Off Question  (Read 1689 times)

Offline dave570

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Roll Off Question
« on: January 09, 2009, 05:24:29 PM »
When using a battery box with a bass roll off (assuming one needs that), how would I know which frequency to use? Is it just a guess?  The choices are:  69Hz or 107Hz or 160Hz or 195 Hz or 888Hz.

Offline taylordb

• Taperssection Member
Re: Roll Off Question
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 10:48:23 PM »
I nevr use a bass roll off, but if I did I would use the lowest setting.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 01:17:39 PM »
If you're using microphones that have an overall sound that you like (especially the balance between the bass response and everything else), then the only real purpose for a bass rolloff control would be to filter out low-frequency noise. 69 Hz could be used that way without costing you too much in terms of musical enjoyment. A lot depends on how steep ("sharp") the rolloff is, of course, e.g. in dB per octave.

But the other, higher frequencies on your list could cause you regrets, if in fact the rolloff wasn't really necessary. 160 or 195 Hz (which aren't very far apart from each other--an odd choice of alternatives in that respect) are already in the voice range, and would change the character of speaking or singing voices, not just bass instruments.

888 Hz is of course in the midrange or even upper midrange, so a rolloff there would be like a special effect rather than any reasonable kind of protection or "sound shaping."

--best regards

P.S.: Oleg (below) is right to mention proximity effect--that will affect your recordings if your microphones are directional and are close to (say, within three feet of) a direct sound source.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 05:52:59 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 01:58:24 AM »
low fq roll off is used when you have proximity effect placing the mics to close to the source what rise the low ones not proportional to others .
also  in windy conditions where you don't have good wind isolation ,to prevent overloading preamp .
some mics has low fq cut of directly on mic preamp and if you need to use it it better then use ones on your preamp ( also depends where it cuts ) to eliminate low fq overloading inside the mic preamp 
oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com