Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Noise Cancelling Headphones (was what do you think of these? - Denon AH-NC732)  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
I'm seriously considering a pair of Denon AH-NC732 to travel with.

Does anyone have any experience and opinion of these?

What OTHER noise-cancelling 'phones do you like/not-like?
Preferring over-ear (supra-aural) and I don't want to go much over $150 for traveling headphones.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:57:47 PM by That Old Guy »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline hobbes4444

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sennheiser PXC-250's.  You can typically find them on amazon or newegg for $79 or less.  Two downsides though: 1. separate battery case/power module for the noise cancelling is kind of a pain, and can be noisy when bumped (for some reason it depends on the brand of batteries used - some fit more snugly in the module); 2. the build on the connector jack is not the best;  it has a tendency to come loose.  a right angle adaptor helps on that end, and also sennheiser is great about replacing them under warranty for this problem.  Otherwise, these are quite good cans.  I've been using them for about 6-7 years (on my 4th pair probably).
DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Are you sold on noise-cancelling, or would you also consider noise-attenuating (I'm thinking in-ear, which offer a lot of isolation, and with custom molds are very comfortable)?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
Are you sold on noise-cancelling, or would you also consider noise-attenuating (I'm thinking in-ear, which offer a lot of isolation, and with custom molds are very comfortable)?

I can't stand anything in my ears for very long.
Etys would be an immediate choice for me if I could stand them.

The Senns are under consideration, and the Denon's seem to be a step up, but I'm not sure.
If I can get the sound and feel of my Senn HD-414s with attenuation of motor noises on planes, trains, and buses, I'd be seriously happy.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Apologies for the thread-jack but I've a question about these phones:
Sennheiser PXC-250's.  You can typically find them on amazon or newegg for $79 or less. 
...separate battery case/power module for the noise cancelling is kind of a pain, and can be noisy when bumped ..

Is the entire noise-canceling circuit and mic in the separate housing on the cable? If so I may find a pair to cannibalize.

I'm thinking about DIY'ing a noise canceling circuit for my earplugs.  The isolation with 33db foam plugs is still not enough in the bass region at weekend long festivals and my ears end up ringing.  It's all the bloated 'feel it in your chest' subwoofer equalization.  Even with the plugs fully sunk in my ear canals the bass is still overwhelming plus the plugs over-attenuated in comparison.  I think the only way to effectively attenuate the 100hz region is with active cancellation.  Active cancellation is most effective at low frequencies, isolation through the foam plugs at higher frequencies - potentially a nice match.

I don't know of an available off the shelf circuit, so my next thought is to cannibalize the board and mic(s) from an existing headphone and use it with my Etymotic 4s.  The primary goal is simply more reduction in the bass region, secondarily I'd like to achieve a more balanced sound with the earplugs plugs in (in this case active IEM earplugs).  Lastly, if that works I may also be able to plug in and better monitor my recording at sane and safe levels at the same time.

Any ideas on available circuits or earphone organ donor candidates is welcome.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline B-GREEN

• Taperssection Newbie
What OTHER noise-cancelling 'phones do you like/not-like?
Preferring over-ear (supra-aural) and I don't want to go much over $150 for traveling headphones.
Thanks!

I've never used that model, but I love Dennon's cans. I've owned the AH-D1001's (that I use for travel now), then I upgraded to the AH-D2000(which I use at work now), and then I finally went for the AH-D5000 for home use. The first two I found refurbished at dakmart with a factory warranty, I think the 1001 and the 2000 were both less than you want to spend when I bought them and they are quiet enough for me to use in my very small office that I share with three other people. Not familiar with the exact model your asking about though sorry.

Heres is a good reference for cans if you want to get into the specs and compare. I'm a little nerdy like that I guess   :D

http://www.headphone.com/technical/product-measurements/build-a-graph.php?graphID[0]=233&graphID[1]=&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Audio-Technica’s ATH-ANC3 QuietPoint™ Active Noise-Cancelling In-Ear Headphones reduce distracting background noise by 85%..

Bought a pair of these to play around with since they were on sale last week.  The active cancellation is actually very good, damps the lower midrange down without smothering the top end clarity of the outside world.  They cut out car rumble nicely.  They are in-ears with the little rubber sealing flange.  I prefer using punched -33db blue foam earplugs on my Etymotics and need to play with replacing the minimally isolating rubber seals on these for even better isolation, but the general  idea of using these as active ear-plugs seems valid after last weekend's festival.  They worked really, really well for lower volume acoustic music through the FOH, but can't handle the higher SPL bass and clip with audible distortion.  Needs a stronger headphone amp circuit for sure, perhaps better drivers will be needed at that point too. 

Before the clipping point though, the sound was the best I have ever heard using any other ear protection. In fact, I preferred the subjectively cleaner sound with the cancellation 'on' over no hearing protection at all.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com