Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Does this exist? Stereo Line-In for iPhone  (Read 22718 times)

Offline Relayer35

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Does this exist? Stereo Line-In for iPhone
« on: September 04, 2016, 01:26:51 PM »
I detailed my experience using my iPhone as a recording device with external microphones here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=178930.0

I was using the line-in on the Blue Mikey but had an issue with quiet parts recording in mono. Just wondering if there is a similar product to the Blue Mikey out there, maybe without the built-in microphone, that just has a line in and connects to the iPhone with a Lightning connector. Does anyone know of anything similar?

Thanks.

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Does this exist? Stereo Line-In for iPhone
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 04:34:05 PM »
I've tried a variety of line-in or mics for iPhones, and the one that I have been most impressed with and keep with me all the time is the Tascam iXJ2.

There's a decent review here:

http://www.provideocoalition.com/review-tascam-ixj2-preamp-ad-enables-dual-mic-2-channel-opportunities-for-i/

Unfortunately this was made for the old 30-pin iPhones, but it will work with an adapter and arguably a device like this is better hung away from the phone than directly connected anyway. Another positive about it being designed for the older phones is that it can be picked up very cheaply.

If you use it in conjunction with a preamp such as the Ugly, rather than just a battery box, and set the levels on the Tascam to zero, I think you can get results equivalent to using a recording device such as the Sony M10.

Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Online rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 07:06:51 PM »
http://line6.com/sonicport-audio-interface/sonicport/

I use this to stream from a F8. The device has 1/8" stereo input, lightning connector to iphone output.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 11:49:37 PM »

I use this to stream from a F8. The device has 1/8" stereo input, lightning connector to iphone output.
when you say stream, do you mean that you are steaming to the internet or you are simply steaming from the f8 into the phone and the phone is recording the signal?
Tia
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Online rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 10:32:23 AM »

when you say stream, do you mean that you are steaming to the internet or you are simply steaming from the f8 into the phone and the phone is recording the signal?
Tia

I stream to the Internet using mixlr (which actually records it locally to the phone also). You could just as easily record it to the phone itself if you wanted.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 05:15:49 AM »
There's a bunch of other "exotic" adapters here too, but not all of them are via Lightning.
http://www.sweetwater.com/c1058--iPad_iPhone_Interfaces/low2high
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 10:12:56 AM »

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 03:20:40 PM »
I love this one.

I've tried a variety of line-in or mics for iPhones, and the one that I have been most impressed with and keep with me all the time is the Tascam iXJ2.

There's a decent review here:

http://www.provideocoalition.com/review-tascam-ixj2-preamp-ad-enables-dual-mic-2-channel-opportunities-for-i/

Unfortunately this was made for the old 30-pin iPhones, but it will work with an adapter and arguably a device like this is better hung away from the phone than directly connected anyway. Another positive about it being designed for the older phones is that it can be picked up very cheaply.

If you use it in conjunction with a preamp such as the Ugly, rather than just a battery box, and set the levels on the Tascam to zero, I think you can get results equivalent to using a recording device such as the Sony M10.
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 09:52:42 AM »
Hello:

We now offer a line of stereo adapters and microphones for iOS devices. They all offer powered stereo microphone inputs:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category/9411

Thanks

The sound professionals

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 10:36:47 AM »
^ It looks like the adapter only puts out 2.2 V plug-in power?  Is it possible to make one that puts out ~ 5 V?

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 12:13:22 PM »
Hello:

Not at this time, however, if you need more power for your mics, you can use a battery box between the mics and the adapter.

The Sound Professionals

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 05:54:55 PM »
If anybody would like to consider using an iPhone as a recording device here is a comparison I've done:

https://soundcloud.com/quisquose/stealth-concert-recording-sony-pcm-m10-versus-iphone-tascam-ixj2

I have recorded a concert using thesame mics (CA11) going to the same preamp (CA Ugly 2) then split into two recording devices simultaneously, the Sony PCM-M10 and an iPhone 4s using the Tascam iXJ2 as described previously. Stealth away :)
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline gursky

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 10:12:41 AM »
I have recorded a concert using thesame mics (CA11) going to the same preamp (CA Ugly 2) then split into two recording devices simultaneously, the Sony PCM-M10 and an iPhone 4s using the Tascam iXJ2 as described previously. Stealth away :)
We had a few PM conversations about the iXJ2 and appreciated your advice and now I just wanted to say thanks for posting this A/B comparison.  It's great to know that the iXJ2 really can hold up against a dedicated unit like the M10. 

Offline Relayer35

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 02:59:54 PM »
Hello:

We now offer a line of stereo adapters and microphones for iOS devices. They all offer powered stereo microphone inputs:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category/9411

Thanks

The sound professionals

I purchased one of these, and took it out for a test run last night. Set up was CA11 > CA-UBB > SP-iOS Adapter > iPhone 6 (using Twisted Wave app for recording, same app as I use with the Blue Mikey)

Bottom line, was it didn't work.

First issue, was that when the device was attached to my iPhone 6, it drained the phone battery even when not in use. I started out with a freshly charged iPhone on Airplane mode with no other apps open. Plugged it in about 15 minutes before the show started, but the battery was down to 89% by the time it started.

I recorded the opening act, who played for about 45 minutes. Battery was down to 64% after. My usual battery drain when recording with the iPhone using the Blue Mikey (with the Mikey's internal microphone or the line-in) is 10% an hour. This dropped about 15% in 45 minutes. I'm guessing this thing draws power from the lightning port. Not enough to power the Mics without a battery box, but enough to drain the battery.

When the main act came on stage, for whatever reason the iPhone stopped detecting the device and would only record from the internal phone microphone (yuk!). Tried rebooting the phone, no luck. I was running my usual PCM-M10 rig as well, so I didn't miss the show....but I didn't wind up recording any of the main act with the phone. I tried to get it to work during the set break, and it looked like it was recording, but then wouldn't record once the show started again. The iPhone 6 I was using is my older phone. I tried it on my regular iPhone 6s as well, and it wasn't detected there either. Also tried without the battery box, but no luck.

As for the recording quality, I did successfully record the opening act. Unfortunately, there was a lot of hiss in the recording. Much more than I get with the Blue Mikey line-in, or my regular PCM-M10 set up.

I am going to do some further tests just to make sure it's not the app or the phone (unlikely, because I tried two different phones). I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 04:05:38 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your disappointing experience Relayer35. Is it possible the recording software is to blame rather than the hardware?

Anyway, before you possibly give up on this here is a recording I did on my iPhone 6s last year:

https://soundcloud.com/quisquose/test-live-recording-iphone

Church Audio CAF mics > Church Audio Ugly II Preamp > Tascam iXJ2 > iPhone 30-pin to Lightning Adapter > iPhone 6s

Rode Rec App

I went into the show with battery at, or close to 100%. It was in Airplane mode throughout. As we left the venue 3 hours later the battery had dropped to 49%, so it does use quite a bit of battery life but nothing like your experience, and no hiss.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com