Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24 Bit Recorder Questions  (Read 4158 times)

Offline Boedi-taper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Support Your Local Senior Taper!!!!
24 Bit Recorder Questions
« on: August 05, 2008, 05:19:50 AM »
Hey Guys!
Longtime Dat taper looking a possibly switching to a 24 bit recorder.Here's my questions(Thanks for your patience):
Question #1: Do any 24 bit recorders in the $300-400 Range have a right AND left channel 1/4" mic input?(To handle my Nakamichi 300 mics).Or:
2) Do any 24 bit recorders have a Digital input that a Sony SBM-1 can plug into? For any that don't know,the Sony SBM-1 Have  2 1/4" mic inputs that I use my Nak 300 mics for.The SBM-1 input plugs into the Dat deck.
3) I know that some models of 24 bit recorders have a single 1/8" jack for mic input,however,the two 1/4" Jacks for each mic would be much sturdier and stable.
4) Do any or all of the 24 bit recorders in the above price range have mic attenuators for an outside mic source?

Thanks for any responses!! Peace!!!

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: 24 Bit Recorder Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 11:00:37 AM »
Take a look at the M-Audio Microtrack II.  Price about $250 through an online merchant, and less than $240 on eBay.

The MT2 1/4 inch inputs are noisy if you're using an unbalanced mic cable, but work OK with a balanced cable.  See guysonic's note with noise graphs here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,88437.msg1286241.html#msg1286241

The added noise is described as like a "sprinkler" or a "helicopter"

gt6john found one solution:
"I was experimenting with the 1/4 unbalanced noise thing and discovered that if the two wires from the unbalanced source are connected to the tip and ring with nothing on the sleeve it works great, no weird noise and very clean recording."
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,88437.msg1304430.html#msg1304430

DPA tested the MT2 with its mics and found a workaround.  dactylus reported:
"The DPA testing results were as follows:  Using the unbalanced 1/4" TRS inputs a "sprinkler noise free" recording could be produced when turning the gain all the way down on the MT and doing all of the gain adjustment with the dpa mma6000 amplifier."
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,88437.msg1357626.html#msg1357626

Guysonic found the MT2 has a lot of headroom on the mic input
"MT2 minijack mic maximum ~ -2.4dBu (the ZOOM H2 maximum LINE input!) compared to MT1 -13.3dBu, so MT2 has slightly over 10dBu MORE headroom than MT1; this is a significant improvement."
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,88437.msg1377984.html#msg1377984

There are lots of posts about the Microtrack II on this forum
part one: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,88437.0.html
part two:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,106690.0.html

Flintstone

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 11:17:44 AM »
The SBM1 is a 16-bit device (outputs 16 bits), so there is no point in using a 24bit recorder if you plan on continuing to use the SBM1.

That said, I think most of the modern recorders are 24bit now.   And again, most of these will have a mic attenuation circuit, but few have dual 1/4" inputs, the MT is the only one I can think of.  I'd highly recommend the Sony D50 which I have and love.  It's outside of your price range new, but you can get a used one for that price.  Single 1/8" input and optical digital in only though.

You might want to contact Busman Audio (see the Retail Section for his posts) and see if he can mod your Nak 300's to use a different termination -- perhaps 1/8" as it is more common on recorders.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 06:55:58 PM »
Hey Guys!
Longtime Dat taper looking a possibly switching to a 24 bit recorder.Here's my questions(Thanks for your patience):
Question #1: Do any 24 bit recorders in the $300-400 Range have a right AND left channel 1/4" mic input?(To handle my Nakamichi 300 mics).Or:
2) Do any 24 bit recorders have a Digital input that a Sony SBM-1 can plug into? For any that don't know,the Sony SBM-1 Have  2 1/4" mic inputs that I use my Nak 300 mics for.The SBM-1 input plugs into the Dat deck.
3) I know that some models of 24 bit recorders have a single 1/8" jack for mic input,however,the two 1/4" Jacks for each mic would be much sturdier and stable.
4) Do any or all of the 24 bit recorders in the above price range have mic attenuators for an outside mic source?

Thanks for any responses!! Peace!!!

ZOOM H4 (under $400) records at 24 bit and has combo XLR and 1/4" separate right and left channel mic inputs, as well as phantom power.

Phillip
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:28:03 AM »

Boedi, do you use the SBM-1 to power your Naks?
Are the Naks stock or modded? How is the cabling done? XLR to 1/4" TS or 1/4" TRS
Like Todd said, the SBM-1 does no more than 20bit, so in case you're going the 24bit way, you also need to figure out another way to power the mics...

You didn't say anything about stealthability, but if you don't mind bulkier recorders you could run the Naks with XLR in to a PMD671. If you're lucky, they can be bought used within your budget.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 04:51:59 AM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 10:16:10 AM »

Boedi, do you use the SBM-1 to power your Naks?
Are the Naks stock or modded? How is the cabling done? XLR to 1/4" TS or 1/4" TRS
Like Todd said, the SBM-1 does no more than 20bit, so in case you're going the 24bit way, you also need to figure out another way to power the mics...

You didn't say anything about stealthability, but if you don't mind bulkier recorders you could run the Naks with XLR in to a PMD671. If you're lucky, they can be bought used within your budget.

Or the FR2-LE, thats close pricewise (Can be had for $450 shipped) if you need XLR (w/ P48) & 1/4", but can live without 1/8". It fails the stealth and digi-in tests. If I were going to stay with an outboard AD (or at least use one more then half the time), the MT2 would probably get my vote cause of the coax in. When I went 16 > 24, I ultimately decided between the Fostex and the MT2 based on that the outboard functions and whether I would use an outboard AD/pre or go all-in-one.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 10:55:26 AM »
TRS> FR2-LE is a good option.  If you have it modded you'll essentially eliminate the need for the SMB1 and have a good all-in-one option without getting into extra adaptors or anything.
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com