Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HDTV calibration???  (Read 10500 times)

Offline Rusty M

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Private Profits, Socialized Losses
HDTV calibration???
« on: July 31, 2008, 02:49:55 PM »
anyone bought this service?  they use some special computer and only middle- to upper-end sets can be calibrated.  According to the TV manager at BB (who actually seemed like he knew his shit), samsungs, LGs, pannys, and most sonys can be calibrated, Sharps CANNOT, I didn't ask about Toshiba.  The cheaper store brands cannot be calibrated.  From the description, calibration produces:

"In addition to stunning picture quality, you'll benefit from reduced eye strain, longer TV life and significant energy savings"

The TV sales manager showed me 2 in store of the same model that they have been running for a couple months - 1 calibrated, 1 uncalibrated - (almost like a comparison tape  :) ), and said that the uncalibrated model is using 30% more energy.  And by exstension, he claimed a calibrated TV will last 3-5 years longer.

I asked the guy straightup if he was selling me the undercoating, he said that this is for real, best buy of course makes money off it because all we have to do is buy the computers and then pay some kid $8/hour to go do the calibrating, but that the cost of $200-$300 (only $150 at CC) will pay for itself within 3 years of energy savings and then there is the longer life issue.

??? ??? ???

(hoping John Kelly will chime in even though I know I pissed him off in another thread)
One shortcut to all this BS is simply to let anyone buy into the Medacare Program for $300 a month. 

Medacare is already set up, already has covered surgeries and procedures, and other than allowing Medacare to bargain collectively with Drug Companies, it is an off the shelf program.

exactly, so why do we need a new bill?

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
Re: HDTV calibration???
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 02:58:56 PM »
Haha.  You pissed me off?  I can't remember anything like that.

In any case, yes calibration is awesome.  But there is no way in HELL I'd pay a big box store to do it.  You're better off either doing it yourself or hiring a local home theater installer.  On AVS there is a guy that tours the country just doing calibrations, and people rave about his work (I think he runs $4-500).  If you want to do it yourself, you need to get yourself a set of filters (they look like old-school 3d glasses) and a calibration DVD or Blu-Ray.  The standard is the Digital Video Essentials stuff, over at http://www.jkpi.net .  There's way more info about it on AVS - you should really check on there (www.avsforum.com).

As for energy savings, they should be minimal.  The only way you would really save energy would be if you took a TV with a maxed out brightness and brought it down to normal levels.  Most TVs don't ship with the brightness that high, though...

Edit - Just want to note that I did it myself.  Friend had a set of filters and the DVD already downloaded, and we calibrated the TV in a matter of minutes.  Also, any TV can be calibrated as long as you can get into the service menu.  You don't need any specific brand to do it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:00:27 PM by John Kelly »
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Rusty M

• Private Profits, Socialized Losses
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 03:33:43 PM »
I'm all for doing it myself.  what are the filter and DVD going to run me?
One shortcut to all this BS is simply to let anyone buy into the Medacare Program for $300 a month. 

Medacare is already set up, already has covered surgeries and procedures, and other than allowing Medacare to bargain collectively with Drug Companies, it is an off the shelf program.

exactly, so why do we need a new bill?

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 03:39:11 PM »
Check avsforum as John mentioned, you'll often find members who post their settings.  When I bought my Toshiba 65" DLP I found someone who posted some settings and I tried them out and was stunned by how much better the picture looked.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 06:17:46 PM »
Most often you can DIY, but paying a few hundred for an ISF cert. calibration is worth it.  Much more than one can do on their own.   If you plan on DIY you need DVE or AVIA dvd's to get started, I will say the THX Disney discs have a quick and dirty test pattern to get close.

SC

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 09:10:34 PM »
Check avsforum as John mentioned, you'll often find members who post their settings.  When I bought my Toshiba 65" DLP I found someone who posted some settings and I tried them out and was stunned by how much better the picture looked.

Great point.  If you can copy someone's settings with the exact same model as you you can get pretty close to being calibrated.  It won't be perfect since every panel is different, but it's better than nothing.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 11:04:42 AM »
Get AVIA and DIY it man. ISF calibration is gonna cost you a few hundred bucks, and though they do use some nice gear to test everything out, and have the knowledge to get into service menus, etc,  you can do a decent enough job DIY.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 03:22:57 PM »
i have a dvd that helps you do it
and i have also got other peoples off avs
to be honest i can't tell much difference between settings personally
so no way would i pay someone to do it
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 12:31:14 PM »

Great point.  If you can copy someone's settings with the exact same model as you you can get pretty close to being calibrated.  It won't be perfect since every panel is different, but it's better than nothing.

I did this with my model and was not happy with any of the results.  it looks better in plain "sport mode" than any of the custom ones.  ymmv

I got avia but now need filters.  where do I get them?  best buy etc?

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 08:10:53 PM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 06:06:30 PM »
If anyone's interested in calibrating their new set, these DVD's can help a lot:
http://www.shop3m.com/75050052911.html

I got one about a year ago when 3M was offering them for free, but IMO they are worth the $9 they charge now.

It has a series of different color, shading, and images and you adjust your set at each step.  Includes glasses as well.

Very happy with the results on my 720p 32" Samsung LCD.
Seems the most common thing people do is to turn the brightness up too far, trying to make it look "better"...
 :P

Offline Dr.FOB

• Taperssection Member
  • USM69i
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 06:11:07 PM »
Joe Kane publishes the Digitial Video Essentials in Blu-ray for HDTV callibration.
It includes the filters along with a host of patterns that will highlight your sets weaknesses...

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-Essentials-Basics-Blu-ray/dp/B000V6LST0
Neumann gear slut

Offline Stagger

• Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 09:39:30 PM »
Good advice here so far. I worked for Tweeter, Etc. for a number of years (mostly when they were financially healthy so...) I sold more TV's than I can count. A few things.

1. You can not truly calibrate your TV to your eye or a friends setting. Calibration, like setting the levels when you record are dependent on the particulars of the source and the room. If your room, during the time you do most of your viewing, is very bright or dark it will change the optimal setting of your set.

2. This doesn't mean setting your TV to your eye is useless, of course. TVs are shipped set so they catch a potential customer's eye in a showroom setting (read: screaming bright). It is better to take it down a good deal even without proper calibration. The issue is twofold. The first problem is that our eye has no consistent mechanism to adjust settings accurately for the scaler. While we can see some amount of line crawl and such with a normal picture, you do really need black and white patterns to make the proper adjustments. Secondly, we are so accustomed to TV pictures that are really too bright. Therefore, unless you are very accustomed to seeing a properly calibrated set, most everyone setting their TV to their eye will make their picture much brighter than it would be if properly calibrated.

3. I haven't looked to see what calibration DVDs and kits are out there today but, in addition to the test pattern such as the one shown in the link in issue #2, you need color filters to properly set your levels. These filters look like a color "gel" that is used in stage lighting (i.e. a colored piece of thin plastic). A good kit will typically have at least a red and a blue color filter. If the kit does not have this it isn't useless, it is just useless for color calibration. Having the pattern to set your TV's scaler is better than nothing, it just isn't the whole job.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com