Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with Blue Ray Looking at getting one for xmas  (Read 26064 times)

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Help with Blue Ray Looking at getting one for xmas
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 03:22:40 PM »
there is a $100 box made by roku,

I've been giving serious thought to picking one of these up and ditching my DirecTv connection.  $8.99 a month for 300 HD titles and then get my locals OTA in HD. 

OTOH, Skinemax is starting to show some clam on a regular basis and I wouldn't get the Daily Show.  Hmmmm.....

Josh

#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 10:39:21 AM »
So the resolution is 1080i....any glitches, artifacts, anything like that?  Does it cache the images and then start playing?  Thumbs up???

because it streams netflix (in HD too)

How is that in hd?

Josh

no better than 1080i, but that's the best directv can do too as i understand it.  i have a phat connection, which helps dramtically.
works great, been catching up on CSI, Heroes, and 30Rock in HD this past week and it's great.

I have yet to find confirmation, but I highly doubt they're using 1080i.  It's a 1280x720 resolution picture (and probably interlaced, although I'm not sure). 

Here's a review of the service from Gizmodo.  They don't specifically mention the resolution, though:
http://gizmodo.com/5071275/netflix-hd-impressions-on-xbox-360
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 11:53:24 AM »
So the resolution is 1080i....any glitches, artifacts, anything like that?  Does it cache the images and then start playing?  Thumbs up???

How is that in hd?

Josh

no better than 1080i, but that's the best directv can do too as i understand it.  i have a phat connection, which helps dramtically.
works great, been catching up on CSI, Heroes, and 30Rock in HD this past week and it's great.

I have yet to find confirmation, but I highly doubt they're using 1080i.  It's a 1280x720 resolution picture (and probably interlaced, although I'm not sure). 

Here's a review of the service from Gizmodo.  They don't specifically mention the resolution, though:

john, if i'm reading your review correctly, that is for the xbox 360 version, not the LG BD300 Netlfix option, which appears different (for example, FF'wd and RR'd are not disable on the LG player...)  and i als want to clarify, it isnt better than 1080i, more likely 720p.  i have yet to find documentation either on the exact resolution possibilities, but i can tell you that it does look much better than SD cable/directv/dvd, but not as good as 1080p OTA.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 01:15:25 PM »

How is that in hd?

Josh

john, if i'm reading your review correctly, that is for the xbox 360 version, not the LG BD300 Netlfix option, which appears different (for example, FF'wd and RR'd are not disable on the LG player...)  and i als want to clarify, it isnt better than 1080i, more likely 720p.  i have yet to find documentation either on the exact resolution possibilities, but i can tell you that it does look much better than SD cable/directv/dvd, but not as good as 1080p OTA.

Right, but it's the exact same service just streamed to different devices. 

I've seen it before and it looks to be on par with Apple's HD videos on the Apple TV and with cable/satellite HD channels.  Nowhere near the picture I get out of FIOS, though.

Offline sparkey

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 06:37:16 PM »

OTA is 1080P?  I've read that AppleTV is 720P.....

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 09:44:58 PM »

The only 1080p signals available at all are Blu-Ray Discs, some (but very few) video games, and certain content on the computer.  There are no 1080p broadcasts.  AppleTV is 720p.

Offline Wiggler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 06:20:20 PM »

The only 1080p signals available at all are Blu-Ray Discs, some (but very few) video games, and certain content on the computer.  There are no 1080p broadcasts.  AppleTV is 720p.

John isn't Dish Networks VOD in 1080p they claim it is on their website?
http://www.dishnetwork.com/vod/default.aspx

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 06:24:57 PM »

John isn't Dish Networks VOD in 1080p they claim it is on their website?
http://www.dishnetwork.com/vod/default.aspx

Maybe - first I've heard about it.  I wonder, with the compression they'd have to use to push that signal through, does it even look better than other streaming/VOD options?

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 06:33:21 PM »
I have never seen it.
I found a review of it on Sound and Vision.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/features/3006/satellite-vs-blu-ray-dishing-up-1080p.html

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 06:53:08 PM »
It looks like Directv is also offering 1080p on some select DIRECTV on DEMAND titles .
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageNR.jsp?assetId=3720002
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 06:54:55 PM by Wiggler »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 07:30:18 PM »
It looks like Directv is also offering 1080p on some select DIRECTV on DEMAND titles .
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageNR.jsp?assetId=3720002

they are...I downloaded the Hulk in 1080p a week ago...looked fantastic

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 11:35:48 AM »
so i get an auto-update today on the LG BD300 and the newest feature appears to be a direct link to youtube, for nice streaming of a totally new content for the television (at least in my household!)

sick, all sorts of search options, screen sizes.

Offline sparkey

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 11:18:09 AM »
so i get an auto-update today on the LG BD300 and the newest feature appears to be a direct link to youtube, for nice streaming of a totally new content for the television (at least in my household!)

sick, all sorts of search options, screen sizes.

It's in HD?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com