Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Replace/rebuild a dead Eco-Charge BP-50  (Read 18132 times)

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
Replace/rebuild a dead Eco-Charge BP-50
« on: April 06, 2009, 10:01:02 PM »
So you've got an Eco-Charge that you haven't used in a while, or maybe you've drained it and it just won't take a charge. This happened to me recently - left my gear plugged in after a show and it drained my BP-50 to the point of no return. These things cost $80 new if you can get them. Fortunately, the construction is pretty simple - all you need is a replacement battery (the one here is a Werker WKA6-7.2F, $21.99 at the local Batteries Plus) and a screwdriver or other prying tool. This will likely also work for the old GP-90's, but probably NOT for the new EC-90's as they've got more circuitry inside (some of which is designed to prevent deep discharges like this anyway!). But I digress.

The dead Eco-Charge BP-50. Note the little lip on the top part.

Stick your prying tool underneath that lip. Not perpendicular to the battery itself (there's also a groove that separates the body of the battery from the top) but parallel to the face of the battery, between the battery and the top housing. There's a weak adhesive holding it in place; once you get it a little bit loose, just run the prying tool down the length of each side. There's no adhesive on the ends. You should be able to work the top off by rocking it back and forth - it'll take a little bit of force but don't do it too hard or you might yank out the wiring inside the housing.

Now you can see what you're getting for the extra $58.01! The black housing, two 4-pin XLR connectors, a circuit board, and some minimal wiring.

These little spade connectors slide out pretty easily. Just remember which one goes to red and which one goes to black - both of my wires were black, and both of the connector pieces were red!

Refit the spade connectors onto the new battery...

...and push the housing back down over it. I'd suggest rocking it on so that one end goes down first, then the other will follow. It won't snap into place but will be pretty snug even without adhesive.

Congratulations, you've got a brand new Eco-Charge, minus the branding! Toss it back in the nylon case and nobody will be the wiser...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline taper420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Replace/rebuild a dead Eco-Charge BP-50
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:01:50 AM »
So anybody know if you can replace a dead 6v with a 12v, and still use the same circuitry/xlr port?

Still talking about a BP-50 here.

No? Didn't think so.

What about wiring up a Y cable to attach two BP-50's in series and output 12v? What's a safe way to do that? Put any fuses in the cable? Or just wire black to red and be done with it?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:08:32 AM by taper420 »

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 11:48:41 PM »
Almost 10 years later, but still helpful!!! Just replaced one from some old Ecocharge BP50 that I’ve had since about 2002 or so. I was having a heck of a time getting the top off until I used a hammer on the short side sections to tap lightly and break the seal. The long edges pried apart pretty easily.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline dgale

• Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 11:42:41 PM »
Great advice - I was having trouble getting the top off a couple of my old BP-50's as well.  As noted, I pried the top loose from the battery along the two long edges with a putty knife and I then gently clamped the battery in a vice (be careful not to clamp so hard you crack the sealed battery case) and I whacked the short edges with a hammer, placing a block of wood along the lip so I hit the wood with the hammer instead of the battery top edge.  Once I did this, it popped right off on both of my batteries.  Now I just need to find replacement batteries and I'll be back in action.  I also have a GP-90 I'm going to try - different size battery since it is 12v but I'm assuming it will come off as well.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline dgale

• Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 12:17:15 AM »
I peeled the Eco-Charge stickers off my old BP-50 and GP-90 and here are the original battery types used:

BP-50:
Panasonic LC-R067R2P 6V, 7.2Ah with F1 connectors

GP-90:
Panasonic LC-R127R2P 12v, 7.2 Ah with F1 connectors

I just ordered the exact same replacements from Amazon and will report back once I receive them and can confirm they are an exact fit and work like the good ol' days once I install the eco-charge tops on them:

BP50:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001XVF4YM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
GP-90:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001XVAPA0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 11:15:52 PM »
this thread makes my back hurt!
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com