Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: running Aerco pre in front of an Mini-me  (Read 3194 times)

Offline -Q-

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
running Aerco pre in front of an Mini-me
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:06:25 AM »
anyone have any thoughts on this? i don't wear the hat much and my Aerco is just sitting around. my real question is i guess is the aerco pre better then the pre in the mini-me?
I  don't know where i'm going but i'll get there.Reid Genauer

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: running Aerco pre in front of an Mini-me
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 01:38:12 PM »
I think they are going to be comparable in quality. the only difference I bet is the flavor/color of the preamp
maybe sell your aerco if its collecting dust.
Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 02:46:24 PM »
That could be a really great combination, and should be tried.  Switch it at the set break for a comp.

I think it helps to balance the trim pots of the minime before the show.  I found it tricky to get the trim pots balanced in the field.  It is much easier to generate a tone or white/pink noise, either directly into the minime or via mics.   You can then balance by looking at the meters (tweak the source output so the next meter light is *just* starting to light, etc), or sending the earphone out of the minime into a PC or a better metering device.    Once you have the balance set, just be sure and make the same changes to each trim pot.

Since you will be controlling gain with the aerco, it does make me wonder what trim level sounds best on the minime.  Are the trim pots attenuators?  Would it be best to turn the pots all the way down, run mid, or all the way up?  That'd be good to know.

Offline shayne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:57:51 AM »
Carl,

I think you should ditch the minime, run the aerco with the r44, that Iron Horse show of Reid solo smokes!

Shayne
studio pojects LSD2 OR OKTAVA MCO12> T+ MOD UA-5 OR AD-20> JB3>SVU2

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 01:58:20 PM »
anyone have any thoughts on this? i don't wear the hat much and my Aerco is just sitting around. my real question is i guess is the aerco pre better then the pre in the mini-me?

My thoughts are that both are great preamps.  'Better' is a relative term and unless your question is 'which uses better components' (which I don't know the answer to), the answers you'll receive will be subjective based on the likes and dislikes of the responder.  Since you have both products in your possession, this should be easy to answer based on your own tastes.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 06:43:40 PM »
Questions like that are the reason God invented opening acts... so you could test stuff out.

Or you could loan me the Aerco and I'll keep it dust free for a while.  ;D
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 08:01:22 PM »
:love: my aerco!  I just don't use it enough also  :P
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com