Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best concert Blu Ray? Suggestions?  (Read 13209 times)

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Best concert Blu Ray? Suggestions?
« on: April 11, 2010, 12:49:08 PM »
As part of a thank you to a friend's dad for letting us stay at his beach house, I was planning on giving the guy some good concert films. He just installed a fantastic projection theater into that house and is an audiophile. He is into concert films and so I figured I'd pick up some discs. Fortunately for him, he has money to buy whatever he wants and already has pretty much everything on DVD, but I think his Blu Ray concert selection is slim. I figured I'd pick up Stop Making Sense and The Last Waltz, but didn't know if there is any improvement over the DVD format with these since he already has the DVDs. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I was also going to burn him copies of the phish Hampton run, so if there are other non-commercial videos which are pretty good, those suggestions might be helpful also.

Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Best concert Blu Ray? Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 04:52:05 PM »
SMS and the Last Waltz are obviously two cornerstones of concert films.

For a few other good Bluray's

The Complete Monterey Pop Festival- Criterion Collection  - Solid transfer of an older concert film.   
Where The Light Is - John Mayer   - Danny Clinch directed film with SUPERB audio and beautiful video.  Best concert film made for Blueray yet.
Performing This Week: Live at Ronnie Scott's -Jeff Beck  - You don't realize how much this has been downsampled on cable tv until you see the Bluray  Fantastic performance.  Fantastic sound. 
B.B. King Live - For someone who is not an audiophile this is a good one.  BB lost it years ago but regular folks who don't care will love it.   

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 05:41:05 PM »
Thanks - I will look into that John Mayer disc.

Do you think there is an appreciable difference between the Blu-ray and DVD versions of SMS and Last Waltz? Since he already has these on DVD, is there any improvement in the Blu-ray version? My understanding is that SMS was re-transferred for Blu-ray, but I can't verify that.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 09:36:26 PM »
Thanks - I will look into that John Mayer disc.

Do you think there is an appreciable difference between the Blu-ray and DVD versions of SMS and Last Waltz? Since he already has these on DVD, is there any improvement in the Blu-ray version? My understanding is that SMS was re-transferred for Blu-ray, but I can't verify that.

SMS has slightly upgraded video and audio from the DVD version.  Last Waltz sounds much better than previous versions on other formats.  Video is slightly better but its still 1978.

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 07:42:28 AM »
Have yet to have Netflix send the Blu-ray version of "Chicago with Earth, Wind & Fire: Live at the Greek Theatre" but the 2 disc DVD version really rocked with great image/super sound, so maybe check the BD out and let us know.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 09:20:30 AM »
Here are my selections:

Led Zeppelin- The Song Remains the same.  The video is upgraded so the psychedelic parts are crispier, there is unreleased footage, and the sound has been improved to Dolby True HD.

Rolling Stones- Shine A Light

Stevie Wonder - Live At Last
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 02:50:07 PM »
Clapton & Winwood - Live At MSG <----- this thing is a monster!

Depechemode1993

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 12:54:34 AM »
NIN - Beside You In Time.

It was the first concert recored for blu-ray back in 2006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knv6qSiP46g

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 10:55:22 AM »
Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - Live @ Radio City Music Hall
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline notsofast

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 01:16:40 PM »
Neil Young's Boxed set.

Tim
"Please post the show - I don't think it sucked, which is my normal rule for show postings" Dave Alvin

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 10:59:43 AM »
Have yet to have Netflix send the Blu-ray version of "Chicago with Earth, Wind & Fire: Live at the Greek Theatre" but the 2 disc DVD version really rocked with great image/super sound, so maybe check the BD out and let us know.
Got the BD version last week finding it even better  than the two SD DVD previously suggested with new audio choice of HD DTS 5.1
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com