Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread  (Read 122618 times)

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread
« Reply #255 on: September 21, 2016, 07:34:00 PM »
It (the superclamp) does have the stud. Looking at the photo of the 099B, it looks like it slips over something and then is tightened with a thumb screw????? Not sure how that would work with the stud on the clamp? Or do you flip the stud over where the nut side is sticking up?

It probably is like the Manfrotto adapter that I have since the top of my Bogen 3373 has an unthreaded stud on the top. 

The 099b slips over that threadless stud on the superclamp and that small thumbscrew at the bottom of the 099b tightens onto the stud holding it in place. 

Ha, I googled how to connect the two and first hit was a thread here at ts.com:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=156731.0

LOL. You kids and your newfangled googldy goos and stuff:) Thanks!!!

While I'm at it, does anyone use the super clamp to clamp on to someone else's stand or is that overkill? Right angle adaptor?

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but some of my fellow classical recording people on GS use the 099B as a boom arm along with a Manfrotto 124 clamp.  You would clamp somewhere towards the middle or top of the largest 099B tube, and would also need a counterweight on the end opposite your mics.  I own a 1004BAC stand and the 099B, but so far have only used them directly atop one another.  My next piece of stand hardware is definitely the 124, which will let me boom out over a conductor's head.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #256 on: September 21, 2016, 09:18:40 PM »
It (the superclamp) does have the stud. Looking at the photo of the 099B, it looks like it slips over something and then is tightened with a thumb screw????? Not sure how that would work with the stud on the clamp? Or do you flip the stud over where the nut side is sticking up?

It probably is like the Manfrotto adapter that I have since the top of my Bogen 3373 has an unthreaded stud on the top. 

The 099b slips over that threadless stud on the superclamp and that small thumbscrew at the bottom of the 099b tightens onto the stud holding it in place. 

Exactly 8) I run the Manfrotto SuperClamp/099B combo and you just tighten the base screw of the 099B onto the threadless stud of the Superclamp, just like RigPimp stated ;)

I LOVE the 099B and it goes to about 6'! If you plan on doing a lot of clamping, I also suggest a smaller extension. Either a Lowel Half Pole[what I own] or a Manfrotto equivalent that goes to about 3' at its max! I use the Half Pole a good bit to get in weird places where the 099B would be a bit too big like balcony railings/etc, and also, if I ever needed to go higher than my stands 10' max! I mainly use the 099B setup at Amphitheaters where I can clamp to the back of the SBD rail at places like Blossom/Star Lake/MPP/Lakeview/etc, but also at smaller venues like Stage AE, where I can also clamp to a sturdy/cemented in the ground SBD rail! Its also useful for clamping in between seats in Theaters as well!

That said, I wish I had an end jaw Mathellini clamp or two in my arsenal too. They seem to grip better/tighter and have a much wider jaw than the Superclamp, which would certainly be useful for taping IMO!

And about the Superclamp being overkill for a stand, id say yes! Its too heavy for clamping at the top of a stand IMO, unless you have a monster stand or are extremely well secured wherever you're taping! Add on LDs/SDs and you have a good bit of weight up there! As always, YMMV :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #257 on: September 22, 2016, 08:09:26 AM »

Exactly 8) I run the Manfrotto SuperClamp/099B combo and you just tighten the base screw of the 099B onto the threadless stud of the Superclamp, just like RigPimp stated ;)

I LOVE the 099B and it goes to about 6'! If you plan on doing a lot of clamping, I also suggest a smaller extension. Either a Lowel Half Pole[what I own] or a Manfrotto equivalent that goes to about 3' at its max! I use the Half Pole a good bit to get in weird places where the 099B would be a bit too big like balcony railings/etc, and also, if I ever needed to go higher than my stands 10' max! I mainly use the 099B setup at Amphitheaters where I can clamp to the back of the SBD rail at places like Blossom/Star Lake/MPP/Lakeview/etc, but also at smaller venues like Stage AE, where I can also clamp to a sturdy/cemented in the ground SBD rail! Its also useful for clamping in between seats in Theaters as well!

That said, I wish I had an end jaw Mathellini clamp or two in my arsenal too. They seem to grip better/tighter and have a much wider jaw than the Superclamp, which would certainly be useful for taping IMO!

And about the Superclamp being overkill for a stand, id say yes! Its too heavy for clamping at the top of a stand IMO, unless you have a monster stand or are extremely well secured wherever you're taping! Add on LDs/SDs and you have a good bit of weight up there! As always, YMMV :)

Bean, you happen to know the part number of that lower extension? And does anyone know of any lower-priced alternatives? What do most people use to clamp onto other peoples stands? There have been times where that would have made more sense than running a second stand
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #258 on: September 22, 2016, 09:10:38 AM »
What do most people use to clamp onto other peoples stands? There have been times where that would have made more sense than running a second stand

To clamp to a stand I use a small Rowi clamp like the one pictured below.  They normally come with a stiff leather case that you can just slide into a pocket on your bag.

Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #259 on: September 22, 2016, 09:20:30 AM »
Thanks Rigpimp.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #260 on: September 22, 2016, 10:52:43 AM »
While I'm at it, does anyone use the super clamp to clamp on to someone else's stand or is that overkill? Right angle adaptor?

You could use a superclamp for that but, as you noted, it's kinda overkill and a bit heavy.  I've always been partial to the multi-position C clamps (like the Windtech) for clamping to stands.  They're fairly light and compact, secure, and haven't let me down yet, knock on wood. 

Bean, you happen to know the part number of that lower extension? And does anyone know of any lower-priced alternatives? What do most people use to clamp onto other peoples stands? There have been times where that would have made more sense than running a second stand

The shorter Manfrotto extension is the 122B.  Impact makes their own version called the LS-3S, which comes with the small base.  Having used both, I'd say the Manfrotto has slightly better build quality but the Impact version is more than adequate.  With the base, it's great for stage lip use and, when combined with the 099 extension, makes a nice low-profile small-footprint stand, albeit it's not the sturdiest. 

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #261 on: September 22, 2016, 11:38:17 AM »
^^^^^^^^^
+1 for the Windtech C clamp. We own 5 of them, quite useful and adaptable. And to clamp an active (or any light weight) mic mount to someone else's stand it works great!
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #262 on: September 22, 2016, 01:29:16 PM »
OK, on the Windtech C clamp: Description says it "rotates" in 3 directions. Does it actually "rotate" or are there just three different places on the clamp for the stud, depending on how you want to orientate you attachment?

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #263 on: September 22, 2016, 02:14:42 PM »
OK, on the Windtech C clamp: Description says it "rotates" in 3 directions. Does it actually "rotate" or are there just three different places on the clamp for the stud, depending on how you want to orientate you attachment?
The second part of your question is the answer. you can move the stud into three positions. referencing that photo- the pictured position is straight out. you can remove it and point it down or up allowing 3 positions.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #264 on: September 22, 2016, 02:52:16 PM »
The second part of your question is the answer. you can move the stud into three positions. referencing that photo- the pictured position is straight out. you can remove it and point it down or up allowing 3 positions.

Thanks, that's what I thought........they way they used the word "rotate" two or three times had me thinking I was missing something.

Last question and I'll shut up: Any recommendations for a sturdy gooseneck that will attach to a clamp and have the proper threading on the other end for a camera/camcorder?

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #266 on: September 22, 2016, 04:07:08 PM »

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #267 on: September 22, 2016, 04:10:22 PM »
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=354220&gclid=CjwKEAjwgo6_BRC32q6_5s2R-R8SJAB7hTG--SsRZm36S6s_jMpo64APsG_cCjg9NapYOl8ExXClCxoCitzw_wcB&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677562%2C&Q=&A=details

The Manfrotto magic arm gives you gooseneck level adjustibility with greater precision and rigidity.

I have one and love it. Using it tomorrow night at the Tab in Hot'Lanta.

Nola, you using it for mics or vid? Clamping on balcony?

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #268 on: September 22, 2016, 04:35:28 PM »

Don't use a gooseneck for a video camera. It's not stable enough and will bounce making focus impossible.

I use a superclamp and the extension arm when running the camera from my stand. If it is a static shot I screw the camera straight on to the threaded stud. If I'm panning I put a Manfrotto pan and tilt head on the stud and screw the quick release plate from that onto my camera.

I've tried using a Manfrotto articulating arm a few times but it bounces too much if it's clamped on to a balcony rail. Almost all my video using it has turned out unusable from camera shake.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #269 on: September 22, 2016, 06:14:45 PM »
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=354220&gclid=CjwKEAjwgo6_BRC32q6_5s2R-R8SJAB7hTG--SsRZm36S6s_jMpo64APsG_cCjg9NapYOl8ExXClCxoCitzw_wcB&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677562%2C&Q=&A=details

The Manfrotto magic arm gives you gooseneck level adjustibility with greater precision and rigidity.

I have one and love it. Using it tomorrow night at the Tab in Hot'Lanta.

Nola, you using it for mics or vid? Clamping on balcony?

Mics only on the balcony rail.  :cheers:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com