Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread  (Read 122603 times)

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Found
« Reply #270 on: October 22, 2016, 10:30:23 PM »
looked harder and found.  Thanks
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 10:56:05 PM by ero3030 »
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
Re: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread
« Reply #271 on: January 17, 2017, 04:39:23 PM »
OK, on the Windtech C clamp: Description says it "rotates" in 3 directions. Does it actually "rotate" or are there just three different places on the clamp for the stud, depending on how you want to orientate you attachment?

How do you make the connection from the 5/8" thread on the WindTech clamp to a Manfrotto Quick adapter or any other 3/8" thread?

Offline Limit35

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #272 on: January 17, 2017, 09:25:25 PM »
How do you make the connection from the 5/8" thread on the WindTech clamp to a Manfrotto Quick adapter or any other 3/8" thread?

You can use something like this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1092899-REG/windtech_m_1_5_8_27_female_to.html

edit: I haven't found a replacement stud yet.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:29:54 PM by Limit35 »

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #273 on: January 17, 2017, 10:08:30 PM »

You can use something like this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1092899-REG/windtech_m_1_5_8_27_female_to.html

edit: I haven't found a replacement stud yet.

bingo thanks!

Offline Limit35

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #274 on: January 17, 2017, 11:17:49 PM »

As soon as I discover a stud I'll let you know. Otherwise you have the round Windtech stud with 5/8> 5/8 to 3/8> t-bar or whatever, three things can loosen up. It's what I use but would rather have a stud to t-bar. Thread seal tape can tighten things up too I suppose.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #275 on: January 18, 2017, 01:44:53 AM »

As soon as I discover a stud I'll let you know. Otherwise you have the round Windtech stud with 5/8> 5/8 to 3/8> t-bar or whatever, three things can loosen up. It's what I use but would rather have a stud to t-bar. Thread seal tape can tighten things up too I suppose.

I recommend LOCTITE for locking threads on adapters. Here's a breakdown of their color/strengths: http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/industrial/Loctite-Threadlockers-by-Color-14023.htm

And to cross-reference so you can make a more informed decision as to the melting points of aluminum, brass, and steel, which are the three most common things we use as tapers: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/melting-temperature-metals-d_860.html

I use red for the stuff I know I'll never need to break apart and blue or purple for stuff I may need to break loose at some point.

Nothing sucks more than being out in the field and having a threaded connector come loose 30 seconds before the band hits the stage and having to drop the stand and tighten up the connections under pressure. And as can often be the case in festival situations during the Summer with rain-soaked/sweaty fingers that can be a bitch.

Or even worse, during the actual set if the stand takes a hit or gets nailed by a beach ball. Especially true if you are clamped to someone elses stand or if you have someone(s) clamped to your stand.

My taper-Mantra- eliminate as many points of failure as possible...

Offline Limit35

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #276 on: January 18, 2017, 11:31:11 PM »

Thanks for the links. Drives me nuts when I 'wrench' down on adapters and then look up and see the mics off center, how the fuck did that come loose from raising the stand.  :facepalm: I guess I should just Red Loctite often used combos and keep them in the bag.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #277 on: January 19, 2017, 01:14:53 AM »

Thanks for the links. Drives me nuts when I 'wrench' down on adapters and then look up and see the mics off center, how the fuck did that come loose from raising the stand.  :facepalm: I guess I should just Red Loctite often used combos and keep them in the bag.

You are very welcome, sir.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #278 on: January 19, 2017, 01:39:47 AM »
^I'd also like to add that the above bushing/adapter has a slotted portion for a wide, flat-headed screw-driver. Some bushings have them on both sides but most only have them on one side.

Keep the slotted side exposed on whatever gender you are adapting to. All my gear is 5/8"-27 threaded (stupid USA standard thread, but whatever), and I have clamps galore in my rig bag, but you don't ever know...

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #279 on: January 20, 2017, 06:58:05 AM »
Loctite is great stuff, but exercise caution with the red!  I wouldn't use it on anything that I hope to separate again in the future; it is REALLY strong.  I tend to use the purple for most purposes and the blue for larger screws.  I have the red, too, but I view that as being a permanent attachment, so I have used it sparingly...

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #280 on: January 20, 2017, 06:07:28 PM »
Loctite is great stuff, but exercise caution with the red!  I wouldn't use it on anything that I hope to separate again in the future; it is REALLY strong.  I tend to use the purple for most purposes and the blue for larger screws.  I have the red, too, but I view that as being a permanent attachment, so I have used it sparingly...

Agreed, hence the link to the various strengths of the products.

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #281 on: January 23, 2017, 04:33:30 AM »
^ My very first experience with Loctite was after reading a tip here, I believe from you, about using an eye bolt into the threaded hole on a SuperClamp as an attachment point for safety cables.  I went to the hardware store with a SuperClamp in hand, and asked the guy if he could cut down some eye bolts for me, and why.  I got a couple, as I often use two clamps for spaced omnis, and the guy said, "You should add some Loctite; it will prevent the bolt from loosening and make your safety system more secure."  Sounded good to me.  He applied some red and sold me the rest of the bottle.  Needless to say, I now have a SuperClamp with a permanently attached eye bolt...

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #282 on: March 06, 2017, 02:44:49 PM »
This clamp is specifically made to hold a godox battery (has a hook on the battery) to a light stand, but has 1/4 and 3/8 threaded holes.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Godox-Q-Type-Battery-Hook-Clamp-Clip-Hook-Mount-F-PB820-PB960-Flash-Battery-pack-/262805808211?hash=item3d30726453:g:dlMAAOSw4DJYgyJD   

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #283 on: March 13, 2017, 07:40:51 PM »
This clamp is specifically made to hold a godox battery (has a hook on the battery) to a light stand, but has 1/4 and 3/8 threaded holes.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Godox-Q-Type-Battery-Hook-Clamp-Clip-Hook-Mount-F-PB820-PB960-Flash-Battery-pack-/262805808211?hash=item3d30726453:g:dlMAAOSw4DJYgyJD

nice, looks inexpensive enough to give it a try.  thanks for the link.
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #284 on: June 09, 2017, 11:05:06 AM »
Does anyone have a link to pre-built steel pin safety cables for the Bogen Super clamp?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com