Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 7)  (Read 112778 times)

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 7)
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2013, 05:04:19 PM »
I'm looking at moving over to the PCM-10 from my MZ-RH1 minidisc recorder. I've looked through a bunch of the faqs and the PCM-10 looks good.

But can anyone offer some personal experiences on the following?:

1- One of the things I really like about the MZ-RH1 is that the display and the record button is on the top of the unit. I can simply open my pocket a bit and look down "unobtrusively" to see how levels are doing as well as start the unit to record. It seems that with the PCM-10, I'll actually have to pull the thing out of my pocket. The comments I've seen say that the display backlight is somewhat dim. Is it dim enough to not draw attention after the house lights go down?

2- With the black matte finish PCM-10, is it easy to find the record button in a darkened environment?

3- I've read that many of you put tape over various switches so as to not accidentally change settings. Are the buttons so sensitive that settings are easily changed accidentally when the unit is in your pocket and let's say you brush up against the side of your seat or dancers next to you bump into you?

4- non-PCM-10 related - is there still a market out there for a used MZ-RH1?

I see many of you purchase through B&H. However, their free shipping is only to the contiguous 48 United States. Cheapest rates to us in Hawaii are almost $25 so I'll probably be going through Amazon. They fulfill this order through Kellard's. Hopefully, they are reputable.

Thanks for any input.

1) I'm not really bothered with the levels at all . Nothing ruins a recording more than opening your pockets and looking at the recorder . I did find , using the type of mic's , that a level of 5 is usually ok . It doesn't really matter if it records a little on the low side since you can easily edit that later on . You'll have to try one or two gigs to find your average level ( it could differ on your type of mic's ) .

2) . With the endless battery space you just turn the recorder on and put it at pause . It doesn't matter for the battery life you leave it on at pause for a longer time . There's a red light blinking and it's very easy to recognize . I did use the MZ RH1 too and I find the PCM M10 much easier and better , more reliable . I have lost one precious recording on a MZ RH1 because somehow the battery went dead all of a sudden . The only thing I''ll ever check every once in a while if the recorder's still running . Basically looking down in my pocket is enough since I can see the backlight on , and the red recording button on .

3) I never had levels changed at all . The only thing I make sure is I carefully put the recorder in my pocket so the low - high settings and manual setting don't get changed .
I make sure the recorder is on hold anyway .
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2013, 12:59:22 PM »
does anyone use rechargeable batteries in their m10?
what brand?
what type?
how long do they last?
thinking of getting some for my kids wii and my mac keyboard so why not the m10 too
tia

I am using GP ReCyko batteries . These have the advantage they don't have to be empty in order to recharge them . I am using these for over a year and they're great .
The only thing I don't like about rechargables is the battery indicator on the recorder works incorrect . After a couple of hours it starts indicating they're almost empty but they still are almost full . I did change the settings on the recorder to rechargable though .
thanks guys
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2013, 12:04:27 PM »
First of all, thank you everyone who answered my earlier questions about the PCM-M10 prior to my purchase. The answers and information I found here has been extremely helpful.

The machine is truly alot easier to manage over the MZ-RH1 minidisc. I had no problems with settings changing with the unit in my pocket while recording a show the other night.

Prior to the show, I tested accidental button pressing by putting the machine in record mode and then in a pocket. I tried all manner of pressing the pocket, moving the PCM-M10 around while pushing the outside of the pocket, etc. There were no problems (and the machine was not in "hold").

As for operating at the show, you folks were correct when you said that the unit looks so much like an iphone that it does not draw undo attention in a darkened, stealth environment. What I learned, and I need to review the documentation a bit more, is that with the original settings - once the unit is recording for awhile, the display goes dark. I need to find how to keep the display dark when not actively playing with the recorder but easily turn the backlight on for adjusting the levels. Just using the blinking LED's as a guide was not enough.

Along those same lines, I appreciate the hint that said a good starting level would be about 5 on the REC LEVEL depending on mics used. To be safe, I started around 4 and that was too low. With the mics I was using and the seating location, I ended up at about 6.7 and still needed a small audio boost in Audition.

To anyone reading this thread and thinking about getting one of these units - you'll be happy if you do.

Thanks again to the folks here for your input.

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2013, 12:30:55 AM »
If 'hold' is on, press one of the buttons and the backlight comes on for the time specified in the menu (10/60/always on/off).

Offline willndmb

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2013, 10:03:43 PM »
First of all, thank you everyone who answered my earlier questions about the PCM-M10 prior to my purchase. The answers and information I found here has been extremely helpful.

The machine is truly alot easier to manage over the MZ-RH1 minidisc. I had no problems with settings changing with the unit in my pocket while recording a show the other night.

Prior to the show, I tested accidental button pressing by putting the machine in record mode and then in a pocket. I tried all manner of pressing the pocket, moving the PCM-M10 around while pushing the outside of the pocket, etc. There were no problems (and the machine was not in "hold").

As for operating at the show, you folks were correct when you said that the unit looks so much like an iphone that it does not draw undo attention in a darkened, stealth environment. What I learned, and I need to review the documentation a bit more, is that with the original settings - once the unit is recording for awhile, the display goes dark. I need to find how to keep the display dark when not actively playing with the recorder but easily turn the backlight on for adjusting the levels. Just using the blinking LED's as a guide was not enough.

Along those same lines, I appreciate the hint that said a good starting level would be about 5 on the REC LEVEL depending on mics used. To be safe, I started around 4 and that was too low. With the mics I was using and the seating location, I ended up at about 6.7 and still needed a small audio boost in Audition.

To anyone reading this thread and thinking about getting one of these units - you'll be happy if you do.

Thanks again to the folks here for your input.
what is the rest of your gear? Or are you using the m10 mics
I would keep the m10 at 4 as much as possible
Going from 4 to 7 is adding approx 7.5db of gain
If you are recording in 24 bit you don't need to go much past -12
-12 is also where the lights come on so you should be able to use those as your guide
Personally I would learn where the display button is vs trusting you put it on hold and pressing any button to see the display
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2013, 11:02:27 PM »
    Along those same lines, I appreciate the hint that said a good starting level would be about 5 on the REC LEVEL depending on mics used. To be safe, I started around 4 and that was too low. With the mics I was using and the seating location, I ended up at about 6.7

=================================
what is the rest of your gear? Or are you using the m10 mics
I would keep the m10 at 4 as much as possible
Going from 4 to 7 is adding approx 7.5db of gain
If you are recording in 24 bit you don't need to go much past -12
-12 is also where the lights come on so you should be able to use those as your guide
Personally I would learn where the display button is vs trusting you put it on hold and pressing any button to see the display
==========
==========
Duh. I didn't even notice what the display button does. I got the rig in the mail so close to the concert, I just wanted to make sure I was getting my menu items set the way I wanted and the recording going with no problems.

Anyway, I'm using the Audio Reality binaurals (clipped to my glasses) with the battery box into LINE IN and LIMITER ON. I was recording at 24/48 and the -12 LEDS were not blinking at any of the times I took the M10 out of my pocket and looked at it (during the first song). So I just slightly turned the record level wheel up a tad while looking for the -12 indicator lights to blink. When the house lights came on, I saw that the wheel was indicating about 6 point 7 or a bit less.

Since I made my original post about this, I had a chance to listen back to the show on the M10 with headphones. During the set with a full band, the levels are peaking a bit higher than -12 with most of the levels falling just a bit below -12 so I'm guessing that the indicator LED's WERE blinking at times. I just wasn't looking when they were. Hey, it doesn't say "taperssection newbie" next to my name for nothing :-)

I know for a fact that when I record in a venue with a louder house system or I'm closer to the speakers, a level down around 4 to 5 will be correct.

Thanks again to everyone for the hints and help.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2013, 09:29:47 PM »
    Duh. I didn't even notice what the display button does.

As you've probably noticed, the Display button actually changes what is displayed--elapsed time, negative elapsed time, date and time.  You can light up the display by pushing the remote's T-Mark or Record buttons. Of course, the T-Mark will insert a (silent) mark the way the MD did--but if you don't want them you can erase all of them in that particular recording by going into Menu, Delete, and Delete All T-Mark. I generally hit the T-Mark button during applause--it's reassuring to see the levels, and it's a quick edit of the recordings if I want it. (You can use Divide to divide at your track marks.)

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2013, 03:23:31 AM »
When I am travelling I use a small laptop to make a back up of the WAV files ( when I record a gig on my PCM M10 ) or rather to an USB stick for added safety .
Now I am thinking about moving to an IPAD ( or Mini ) . Can I add WAV files to the ipad at all ?
I am not an apple user so I have no idea if it is possible or not . Or how can I figure this out !
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline nardo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • The Comatorium - The Mars Volta News
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2013, 04:42:22 AM »
When I am travelling I use a small laptop to make a back up of the WAV files ( when I record a gig on my PCM M10 ) or rather to an USB stick for added safety .
Now I am thinking about moving to an IPAD ( or Mini ) . Can I add WAV files to the ipad at all ?
I am not an apple user so I have no idea if it is possible or not . Or how can I figure this out !
You should be able to connect most usb drives to an iPad but you will need an adapter (e.g. Lightning<>USB) because there is no USB slot.

Offline earmonger

• Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2013, 11:45:08 AM »
I'm not in the Apple universe, but iPads can be weird about what they'll accept from the outside universe. I remember struggling to play the files of a DVD that had been copied onto a USB flash drive--think I had to do some kind of wacky workaround via iTunes or something.

Consider an Android tablet like those made by Samsung or the Google Nexus (though not the Acer one--long story).  They usually have microSD slots and microUSB connections and can do a straight file transfer.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:49:23 AM by earmonger »

Offline Humbug

• Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2013, 12:13:11 PM »
Not sure about the units you buy in the US, but my UK model came without a pouch.

I'm after a pleatherette pouch with a built-in belt clip for the back, and cable entries for the top. I'll be clipping this to my belt or a stand when open taping (or just stopping it from getting scuffed up when in my gear bag).

Anyone know what will fit (preferably available in Europe)?

I've owned this recorder a month and have mixed results so far ranging from excellent, to a buzzy recording (probably from recording right next to a desk).

Cheers,

Humbug

UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline willndmb

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2013, 03:31:28 PM »
you can not backup wavs from the m10 or any other device to the ipad without using a computer
the ipad will play wavs but the dock connector/charger will not accept a signal from the m10

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2013, 07:14:46 PM »
Not sure about the units you buy in the US, but my UK model came without a pouch.

I'm after a pleatherette pouch with a built-in belt clip for the back, and cable entries for the top. I'll be clipping this to my belt or a stand when open taping (or just stopping it from getting scuffed up when in my gear bag).

Anyone know what will fit (preferably available in Europe)?

I've owned this recorder a month and have mixed results so far ranging from excellent, to a buzzy recording (probably from recording right next to a desk).

Cheers,

Humbug

I have one of these and it works very well:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kodak-1230671-Slim-Camera-V-Series/dp/B0013HY3Q6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370301159&sr=8-1&keywords=B0013HY3Q6

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline earmonger

• Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2013, 09:17:44 PM »
Still rockin' the Lowepro Ridge30, which has a pouch under the flap that's perfect for a little battery box--and you can put the remote in the zipper flap. It's nylon, not leather/pleather/Naugahyde, but that just makes it lighter.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=150064.msg1912071#msg1912071

Willndmb, thanks for spelling out the iPad situation. I just remembered a bad feeling about it....and really, in tablet land, you can get speed, connectivity, movable storage--it sure is nice to pop the microSD out of the PCM-M10 and into the tablet--and lower prices in the Android world. They were a little slow to catch up with iStuff, but by now they certainly have. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:30:12 PM by earmonger »

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2013, 10:57:07 PM »
^ Lowepro Ridge 30 for my M10 and the Ridge 20 for my Tinybox.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com