Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New TV recommendation?  (Read 4960 times)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
New TV recommendation?
« on: March 07, 2013, 11:38:36 PM »
I need a new TV and fast.

60"+. No preference over plasma, LCD, LED, whatever. 3D isn't a must. Neither is "smart" Internet stuff.  But picture quality vs. price is my biggest concern.

Maybe $1k to $1.5k.

Basically, I'm looking to move my 50" plasma LG to the bedroom and put something new in the living room with the appletv and ps3.

Thoughts?  Thanks!
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New TV recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 04:45:36 PM »
I recently got a Sharp Aquos 60" smart TV. I love it, but the one thing is it makes all TV shows look really cheesey. If I watch on the 40" the shows look normal, but on the 60" they look like low production bad shows. No matter what show.  It's strange.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 05:10:55 PM »
^

I had the same experience visiting my aunt/uncle on their 60". I don't watch a lot of TV but I kept making comments about how shows and filming looked weird, yet I couldn't really explain why or how they looked weird. My uncle thought I was crazy.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 05:54:02 PM »
I can't really explain it either.  Watching the same show and going from my living room 40" to the bedroom 60" there is definetly a difference. My wife and I both see it. Its like the characters are too big on the TV.

Offline taperdave

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • my ring of brass lies rusting on the ground
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 07:35:36 PM »
Many tvs are set up wrong, even at the store displaying them, it's crazy
alot of times the aspect ratio is set wrong to fill the screen because they are using something letterboxed as thier source in the store and don't want customers to see big black bars
every time I see a tv at a drs office or an older family members house I am astonished that they just turn it on and never set it up properly
refresh rate can make a huge difference as well big tv with slow rate looks wonky, the bigger it is the faster it should be
If you have the ability to do the install, there are kick ass projectors 1080p for less than $1200.00 that will make everyone who visits your house lose thier mind (including the cable guy), and will be so pretty to watch that you find yourself watching anything in full HD because you cant look away.   Grab one on Amazon and ignore haters who complain about moire effects, I tried a vivtek and have never had anyone able to see a problem despite a few reviews that seemed horrible (any many good ones).
I did replace the bulb at 3876 hours after about 20 months (yeah we watch alot of TV on the 11' screen) {really 11 feet wide} sports in HD are the shiznit
Dave

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 09:20:55 PM »
I can't really explain it either.  Watching the same show and going from my living room 40" to the bedroom 60" there is definetly a difference. My wife and I both see it. Its like the characters are too big on the TV.

I forget where I read it.  It was many years ago but I remember reading that a TV should be no larger than 1/3 the size of a room or viewing distance. If the TV is to large the eyes don't adjust right and they strain, it can casuse motion sickness and objects are to big and out of proportion.  I wish I could find that info becuase it explained much better.  I used this formula when I purchased a tv and its perfect.  My viewing distance is 10feet x 12inches = 120inches / 3 = a 40 inch TV.  The TV is perfect.   Not to big and not to small.  As far as brand believe it or not most TV's originate from the same factories in China and just branded as they leave the door.  I have a sony in my living room and my Daughter has a new Visio.  Both look great but I actually might give the edge to the visio.  They can be had cheap at your local china store(wallmart) you might even find a 240refresh rate at the price your looking for.  peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 11:10:53 PM »
The "soap opera" effect your describing can be disabled in the tv's setup - most of the newer samsungs have it enabled by default

It's called something like motion smoothing and when enabled everything looks like a home movie
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 10:48:14 AM »
The "soap opera" effect your describing can be disabled in the tv's setup - most of the newer samsungs have it enabled by default

It's called something like motion smoothing and when enabled everything looks like a home movie

Yup. And it's the devil ;D

Frankly, I'm shocked how many people drop serious coin on a television and then fail to set it up properly or even change the factory presets, none of which could be called good. 

A quick and dirty way to get it pretty close to optimal is by using a calibration disc or even a THX Blu-Ray with the test patterns. First step though is to turn off all of the "enhancements".
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 03:18:59 PM »
First step though is to turn off all of the "enhancements".

Dude its been a while but the last time I saw you, you needed all the enchancement you can get.... :P
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 03:21:39 PM »
First step though is to turn off all of the "enhancements".

Dude its been a while but the last time I saw you, you needed all the enchancement you can get.... :P

Sure, you show your buddy a penis pump one time . . .  ;D
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 10:27:05 PM »
I'd bought a 6000 series 55" LED just after Christmas, took down my plasma, boxed it up, unboxed the LED, used the "correct" settings others had found to work on AVSFourms just to box the LED up and unbox the plasma.  The SAMSUNG LED's look like crap.  24p video looked 'artificial' and washed out.   I know plasma's have concerns about burn in but nothing has ever killed my screen (I've played Rock Band for hours while forgetting to put the TV in "GAME MODE" to find the burn in erasable by running the scrolling pattern for 20 minutes).   

I'd go with a plasma before anything else.

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 04:41:43 PM »
Plasma's are no good where I live at 9200ft. elevation.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Chimney Top

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 02:33:07 AM »
Recently my HD projector and Insignia 42" plasma broke... the HD projector's pixels started to die (right after I replaced the bulb), and the plasma fell off my bed while moving it after the projector crapped out.  The Insignia was a good price, and had a Samsung video card... I compared all the display models at Best Buy and decided to go with this one as the picture was fantastic (no picture adjustment at all).  A few days ago I purchased a used Sharp Aquos 42" LCD and it's ok.  I don't like f'n with all the display settings, right now it's not dialed in... The Insignia plasma is a good one.  It's basically LG's Best Buy brand and this one had a Samsung card.

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 02:35:32 PM »
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7596_102-381583/hd-scenes-look-fake-is-it-my-samsung-tv/

See here

I have been meaning to reply to this thread, and I wanted to thank,you for this link.   I finally have my 60" dialed in and it looks amazing.

Thanks again for pointing me towards the av forum!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com