Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Gear Bag Suggestions?  (Read 13142 times)

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
Gear Bag Suggestions?
« on: September 12, 2013, 12:58:32 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for a new bag as my gear seems to have "grown" over the past few months.   Currently, I'm using the  Tamrac 3548 Express Backpack as seen here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/465626-REG/Tamrac_354801_3548_Express_Pack_8.html

Currently, I'm running the following items in my bag:

Naiant AKG Active Couplings
Naiant 5' Active Cables
Naiant 10' Extension Cable
Naiant TinyBox
Church Audio Ugly Battery Box
Church Audio Ugly 1/8" cable (TinyBox to Recorder)
AKG CK61 Caps
It-Goes-To-Eleven's AKG Active DIN Bar
AT853 5.25' cable with Card, Subcard and Omni Capsules
Fatstratcat's AT853's DIN Bar
Sony PCM-M10 Digital Recorder
2x DPA UA0896 Windscreens (boxed)
2x Stock AKG CK6x Windscreen (boxed in Shure box for safety)
2x RATS for UA0896 Windscreens
2x LowePro camera pouches for gear
4x Velcro Ties
2x WindTech C Type Clamp

I'm planning to add some other items to the bag as well:

Tascam DR-2D
USB Battery
AKG CK63 Caps
Various Interconnects for Soundboard > DR-2D
10' 1/8" Extension Cable

Suffice to say, my current bag is already getting there but will be bursting at the seams because of the new additions. 

Looking for something that will safely store this smaller gear and allow for compartments.   Thanks for any help that can be offered.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 01:24:17 PM by adrianf »

Marshall7

Re: Gear Bag Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 03:33:45 PM »
Hell, do you need a checklist after the show to make sure you have everything? ;D

adrianf74

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 04:13:34 PM »
Hell, do you need a checklist after the show to make sure you have everything? ;D

LOL.  Nope.  I know what I've got because everything has its place.  ;)

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 04:46:09 PM »
An unorthodox solution works for me-

For my 'big bag' I use a $15 zipper-top 'soft-sided' cooler with an internal plastic tub.  It has a nice wide heavy-duty shoulder strap, big zippered accessory pocket on the front, and a large mesh pockets on each end for gaffer tape, cable ties, etc.  It's not internally compartmentalized but I rearange and secure things inside as required using closed-cell foam blocks cut out of packing foam remnants.  Small stuff goes in ziplocks or padded pouches in the accessory compartment or main tub along with cables and mics.

Works for me and is wet and mud proof internally up to the lid.  I do put the whole thing in a heavy plastic bag if it's raining.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline JusTapin

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 08:42:17 PM »
I picked up a Lowepro Magnum 200 AW bag a few months ago that I really like.  It's a little on the larger size (14"Hx10"W), but I like being able to carry everything I might need.  She weighed in at 19 pounds for my last trip. lol  Has a couple of nice pockets on the inside of the top, the outer pockets give plenty of room for clamps, cables, poncho or a thin hoodie. 

Lowepro Magnum 200 AW
Mics: AKG C460B, ck61/ck63, Naiant Actives/PFAs, AT835 cards/hypers (4.7 mod), CA-11 Croakies
Pre/BB: GD Lunatech V3, CA-9200, UA5, SD USBPre2, Neumenn BS48i-2
Decks: Roland R-44, Marantz PMD661 (OCM), Sony PCM-M10

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 09:27:15 PM »
One problem is I don't know of any bag that's really outfitted to organize and hual this kind of gear.  One of the more useful tool pouches I've ever used is the one I sewed up from some heavy duck type fabric.   I haven't lost a wrench out of it yet unlike some factory made tool pouches I've got.   

Honestly, lay your stuff out on sheet of that stuff, mark the pocket sizes with chalk, add an outer layer of some kind of protective padding and then stitch it together.  Or just sew up the pouches using heavy duty thread and then carry the pouch in some kind of tool bag stuffed with whatever padding you like (camping pad, kindergarden foam sleeping pad, etc).

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:58:21 PM »
One problem is I don't know of any bag that's really outfitted to organize and hual this kind of gear.  One of the more useful tool pouches I've ever used is the one I sewed up from some heavy duck type fabric.   I haven't lost a wrench out of it yet unlike some factory made tool pouches I've got.   

Honestly, lay your stuff out on sheet of that stuff, mark the pocket sizes with chalk, add an outer layer of some kind of protective padding and then stitch it together.  Or just sew up the pouches using heavy duty thread and then carry the pouch in some kind of tool bag stuffed with whatever padding you like (camping pad, kindergarden foam sleeping pad, etc).

Yeah. I crammed a metric fuck ton in an Ar-7 and now do something similar to my lowepro bag, so i look at the original bag and wonder how to make it better. I will admit that it requires a near-religious packing order to get that sort of maximization.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
That's an intriguingly large unit of measure!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 02:17:48 AM »
Adrain, what about my Mountainsmith cairn II I have in the YS?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline fatstratcat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 08:32:57 AM »
FastRatCat's AT853's DIN Bar
HaHA!!! Who's?!?  :bigsmile:
Mics: AT933 w/ AT853 caps (cards, subcards, omnis) / Primo EM172 omnis (4.7k mod)
Bars: AT933 ORTF μBar, AT853 ORTF Active-style bar, fatstratcat DIN bar, 32" omni bar
Pre: Church Audio 3-Wire Ugly II / Church Audio Ugly Battery Box
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10 / Edirol R-09

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »
Petrol Bags make some real nice Video/Camera Packs as well as specific bags for Audio use.  I have been using the Petrol Deca Eargonizer Large size and it is easy to organize!

http://www.petrolbags.com/Sound-Bags
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

adrianf74

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 01:23:45 PM »
FastRatCat's AT853's DIN Bar
HaHA!!! Who's?!?  :bigsmile:

OOOOPS.  Call that a small typo if there ever was.   Fixed.   :facepalm:

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 03:51:20 PM »
I'll second the lowepro magnum bag. Love the raincover that comes with it.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

adrianf74

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 03:20:01 PM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  The Lowepro Magnum 200 AW, as much as it's a nice bag, was a little too rich for me.  I ended up finding a deal on a Lowepro Nova 200 AW.   I know I lose the front compartment (which can be handy) but I didn't see the added value in paying about 3x more. 

Internally, I lose 1.2" (w) x .6" (d) and 2.3" (h) but I think this will still give me plenty of room for my cables. 

Thanks again everybody for your suggestions.

cashandkerouac

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 04:38:57 PM »
lowepro nova 4 should work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LowePro-Nova-4-camera-gadget-bag-soft-case-/261282850158?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item3cd5abe56e

another vote for Lowepro Nova.  i have a Nova 3 and a Nova 5.  on paper the Nova 5 doesn't look a lot bigger than the 3, but it is quite a bit larger.  even with it's added space the Nova 5 doesn't accomodate a lot more gear than the Nova 3.  i'm amazed how much gear i can fit into the Nova 3; and as a result i almost never use the Nova 5.  i think you'd be happy with the Nova 3, 4 or 5, and they can be purchased used on ebay fairly cheap.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 09:17:35 PM »
If it's for open taping, Kata Sundo 2. Period.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 08:57:23 AM »
I tried every Sundo (and a bunch of Portabraces and Petrols) and none of them worked for my stuff.  The Mytek makes it tough

Magnum 200 AW is perfect, though.

Offline fatstratcat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 09:21:40 AM »
I got one similar to this one on eBay for $20. The only thing I don't like is the top doesn't zip shut - just velcro, and some quick release buckles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LeMans-Diamond-CAMERA-BAG-DSLR-Nikon-Canon-Sony-Pentax-EOS-Apha-SLR-Digital-EX-/161109775812?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item2582e415c4
Mics: AT933 w/ AT853 caps (cards, subcards, omnis) / Primo EM172 omnis (4.7k mod)
Bars: AT933 ORTF μBar, AT853 ORTF Active-style bar, fatstratcat DIN bar, 32" omni bar

adrianf74

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 01:44:41 PM »
I think I'm gonna be happy with the Lowepro Nova 200 AW -- I like the idea of having a waterproof cover at my disposal especially after a backpack got considerably wet under a poncho this past summer.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys.

Offline fatstratcat

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 02:11:06 PM »
I've also got a Lowepro (can't remember which one) - it's more of a photography sling with one strap. Well-padded, and had a rain cover too.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 02:11:11 PM »
for the ultimate in rain protection, get a box of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Husky-Drum-Liners-Gal-Clear/dp/B003BI2D9E

I always have one of these garbage bags in my gear bag (folds up really small before use). If the rain starts coming, it's large enough to contain your entire bag, keeps the rain out, and is clear to allow you to see what's going on under it

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 07:49:46 PM »
I've ordered lots of stuff from these guys over the years, and the Maratac bags are the toughest thing I've ever used.  I have an older version of the Mid-Range bag as my work briefcase / transport, but the Sat-Com bag looks it could suit a taper's needs quite well.
http://countycomm.com/bags.html
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

adrianf74

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 06:43:48 PM »
Well, I would have been happy to have received my Lowepro Nova 200 AW bag from China but what was delivered was a bracelet (and a hideous one at that)!  To add insult to injury, the sellers account was terminated by eBay.

As it stands, I've already filed for PayPal buyer protection on misrepresented goods so that should resolve issued in two days time (10-day waiting period).

Coincidentally, somebody in my condo building is selling a mint condition Nova 4 AW for $15 so I'm just gonna pick that up.  Wanted black but it's blue....fur the price, I should shut up.  :)

Offline NSL

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 09:27:07 PM »
I'm looking at new, smaller gear bags, and undecided on which one to go for.  Looking at the Lowepro S&F Audio Utility Bag 100 and the Kata DL-H-537 Hybrid.  The main thing for me is finding a bag that my littlebox will sit upright in, so need roughly 7.5 inches for the interior height.  Both of these bags have separate bags that can detach, which is very appealing to me depending on if I need to bring in extra gear or not.  The Lowepro is actually two of the same bags together that comes with some extra accessories that could come in handy, but seems it will be a very tight fit for my Littlebox/Busman actives box.  Anybody have either of these? 
Instagram
Berliner CM-33's > Naiant Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 02:55:10 AM »
I'm looking at new, smaller gear bags, and undecided on which one to go for.  Looking at the Lowepro S&F Audio Utility Bag 100 and the Kata DL-H-537 Hybrid.  The main thing for me is finding a bag that my littlebox will sit upright in, so need roughly 7.5 inches for the interior height.  Both of these bags have separate bags that can detach, which is very appealing to me depending on if I need to bring in extra gear or not.  The Lowepro is actually two of the same bags together that comes with some extra accessories that could come in handy, but seems it will be a very tight fit for my Littlebox/Busman actives box.  Anybody have either of these? 

I have a lowepro adventura 170 and it's the perfect height for my KCY LB with AA battery tray! a and I have a KCY sticking out the top of my LB, so this bag would be perfect if you're using the inputs on the back of the LB. Plus they're cheap ;)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 09:10:54 AM »
Oh no! Why did you have to tell me about a smaller Kata bag?   ;D

Based on my experience with the Sundo line, I would buy anything Kata makes in a heartbeat. Rugged, durable, just all around excellent. That said, my small bag is a LowePro (I think it's a Nova 5, but don't quote me) and it also does a fine job.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 02:03:35 PM »
lowepro nova 4 should work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LowePro-Nova-4-camera-gadget-bag-soft-case-/261282850158?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item3cd5abe56e

another vote for Lowepro Nova.  i have a Nova 3 and a Nova 5.  on paper the Nova 5 doesn't look a lot bigger than the 3, but it is quite a bit larger.  even with it's added space the Nova 5 doesn't accomodate a lot more gear than the Nova 3.  i'm amazed how much gear i can fit into the Nova 3; and as a result i almost never use the Nova 5.  i think you'd be happy with the Nova 3, 4 or 5, and they can be purchased used on ebay fairly cheap.
3 will work for the gear listed in op
i have a 4 and larger/more gear in it then listed
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

adrianf74

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 02:52:30 PM »
I have a Nova 4 as well.   I'd suggest the OP think about "future proofing" if they're gonna be picking up more equipment down the road.  When I bought my original backpack type bag, I figured it'd be plenty big enough.   I quickly learned, once I bought the actives and some caps, that the backpack solution was doomed.

With the additional gear I've picked up (60D, some other 1/8" terminated mics with a preamp, and PFA AKG Actives), I'm gonna have to move some stuff around in order to make it all fit.  DigiGal mentioned the Portabrace Clip-on pouch so I might just pick up two of those for my windscreens/rats.

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
  • think for yourself, question authority
    • My Recordings on the LMA
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 03:18:27 PM »
I am looking for a new gear bag as well, as I just got another UA-5. so I am looking for a good gear bag that can carry 2 UA-5, 2 DVD BATTS, 2 R-09, 2 sets of mics, misc stuff (tbar, shock mounts, extra aa batts). any suggestions?
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)
pres: Oade T+ UA-5; digimod UA-5
recs: R-09x3

iso: 2 ck93 caps
iso: pair of AT4041 mics

Official Archivist for Grant Farm

http://www.facebook.com/kindrecordingscolorado

Jerry Joseph rap during 'Conscious Contact'
"Life's pretty good. life's pretty good. it isn't all good.
I hate it when people tell me its all good. it's not all good.
it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 09:43:52 PM »
I am looking for a new gear bag as well, as I just got another UA-5. so I am looking for a good gear bag that can carry 2 UA-5, 2 DVD BATTS, 2 R-09, 2 sets of mics, misc stuff (tbar, shock mounts, extra aa batts). any suggestions?
nova 5 would be the smallest you would want to go as far as the nova line is concerned
I used the 5 with a ua5/DVD, svu2, jb3, the rest of stuff needed
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline thekittycatt

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 09:54:50 PM »
If it's for open taping, Kata Sundo 2. Period.

It is a little pricey, but Kata Sundo 2 is great.  Clear top that zips shut.  2 side pockets & a front pocket that zip shut with all 3 pockets having access to the main compartment.  I have had some friends(tapers) spill drinks on it with nothing getting inside.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 02:01:20 AM »

Based on my experience with the Sundo line, I would buy anything Kata makes in a heartbeat. Rugged, durable, just all around excellent. That said, my small bag is a LowePro (I think it's a Nova 5, but don't quote me) and it also does a fine job.

Ive had some Kata bags over the years, and I always sell them quickly! The reason why is that the clear vinyl cover to protect your gear isnt long enough on the ends. Liquids can still get in on each side of the clear window. Thats why I like my Lowepro camera bags! You can close the top and dont have to worry about anything getting into your gear bag and getting anything wet. But, when Ive owned the Petrol and PB bags, they seemed to cover the gear a lil better. If I had more gear, or both of my rigs in one bag, Id probably shell out for a nice Petrol, but for $250+, I'll stick with my Lowepro camera bags, because theyve been tested tried and true, and NOTHING gets into my bags unless I want it to 8)

But, as long as its working for your needs, then thats all that really matters :)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 03:03:34 AM »

Ive had some Kata bags over the years, and I always sell them quickly! The reason why is that the clear vinyl cover to protect your gear isnt long enough on the ends. Liquids can still get in on each side of the clear window. Thats why I like my Lowepro camera bags! You can close the top and dont have to worry about anything getting into your gear bag and getting anything wet. But, when Ive owned the Petrol and PB bags, they seemed to cover the gear a lil better. If I had more gear, or both of my rigs in one bag, Id probably shell out for a nice Petrol, but for $250+, I'll stick with my Lowepro camera bags, because theyve been tested tried and true, and NOTHING gets into my bags unless I want it to 8)

But, as long as its working for your needs, then thats all that really matters :)

As an owner of both the Sundo 1 and 2, this is not true of these particular bags. The plastic vinyl is double stitched around its entire circumference and will not let anything through.

Not sure about their other products, but the sundo line is perfect for what we do.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 03:38:35 PM »

As an owner of both the Sundo 1 and 2, this is not true of these particular bags. The plastic vinyl is double stitched around its entire circumference and will not let anything through.

Not sure about their other products, but the sundo line is perfect for what we do.

^^ This. And, I have had drinks spilled directly on mine multiple times, not to mention having it rained on pretty hard, and everything inside stayed high and dry.

Offline NSL

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 10:34:55 PM »
Ended up going with the Kata bag  8)
Instagram
Berliner CM-33's > Naiant Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline 612

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2014, 11:50:53 AM »
I'm about to retire the trusty Lowepro Nova 5 AW bag that I bought new for ~$80 at a camera store in downtown Minneapolis during the spring of 2006. It's been my only gear bag for the past 8 years and although she looks a little tattered she's served me well. The prior 2 years of ste@lthing didn't require a bag of course.

Also semi-retiring the UA-5 + DVD batt combo for a smaller all in one pre so the biggest items in my bag will be a pair of 414s + cables + T-bar/shocks. I certainly trust the Lowepro Nova Series so I'm heading over to their site to see what they have on the smaller side of things.

Hmm... The Nova 5 has been discontinued and replaced by the Nova 200 AW. Looks like the Nova 160 AW is the smaller version of that. For $59.99 I think I'm sold come payday.

Edit: Ohhh, $49.95 + free shipping at B&H. Thanks B&H.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:54:40 AM by empty »
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

Offline 612

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2014, 12:55:42 PM »
OK, I definitely want to get a smaller bag for this smaller rig. The 180, 190 and 200 are all bigger then what I currently need. I'm assuming that the Nova 140 AW would be too small so now it's between the Nova 160 and Nova 170. I wish I bad both of them in front of me at a brick & mortar store but I don't. The 160 and 170 overviews online are pretty much identical, it just seems that the dimensions of the 170 are a little bit bigger and it's also $5 more on B&H for example. Maybe the 170 beats out the 160 based solely on a little extra room...

Offline 612

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2014, 03:37:59 PM »
Don't mind me, I'm just bag shoppin'. I'll put this here in case anyone else comes along and is curious...

Nova 140 AW    Interior: 6.7W x 3.9D x 6.7H in. / 17 x 10 x 17 cm
     Exterior: 8.3W x 6.7D x 8.7H in. / 21 x 17 x 22 cm
Nova 160 AW    Interior: 7.9W x 4.3D x 6.7H in. / 20 x 11 x 17 cm
     Exterior: 9.4W x 6.9D x 8.7H in. / 24 x 17.5 x 22 cm
Nova 170 AW    Interior: 8.5W x 4.5D x 8.1H in. / 21.5 x 11.5 x 20.5 cm
     Exterior: 9.5W x 7.1D x 9.6H in. / 24.2 x 18 x 24.5 cm
Nova 180 AW    Interior: 9.4W x 5.9D x 7.9H in. / 24 x 15 x 20 cm
     Exterior: 11W x 8.9D x 9.4H in. / 28 x 22.5 x 24 cm
Nova 190 AW    Interior: 11.4W x 6.3D x 7.9H in. / 29 x 16 x 20 cm
     Exterior: 13W x 9.3D x 9.4H in. / 33 x 23.5 x 24 cm
Nova 200 AW    Interior: 13.6W x 7.1D x 9.1H in. / 34.5 x 18 x 23 cm
     Exterior: 15W x 9.1D x 10.2H in. / 38 x 23.2 x 25.8 cm

Offline nameloc01

• Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2014, 04:16:14 PM »
OK, I definitely want to get a smaller bag for this smaller rig. The 180, 190 and 200 are all bigger then what I currently need. I'm assuming that the Nova 140 AW would be too small so now it's between the Nova 160 and Nova 170. I wish I bad both of them in front of me at a brick & mortar store but I don't. The 160 and 170 overviews online are pretty much identical, it just seems that the dimensions of the 170 are a little bit bigger and it's also $5 more on B&H for example. Maybe the 170 beats out the 160 based solely on a little extra room...

I have a 170.. its a pretty nice bag.. for its compact size, it can hold quite a bit of stuff. ( I have (3) recording decks, another moderately sized electronic "device", a Superclamp, 2-3  dry battery docks,mics, extra caps ,a PS2, 2 or 3 A/C chargers, a multitude of connectors/cables/plugs/adaptors/ect, windscreens, tape, velcro straps,batteries,manuals amongst a bunch of other stuff in mine, and it can still hold more if need be)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:17:54 PM by nameloc01 »
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

Offline 612

• Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2014, 04:55:09 PM »
^ Wow, you just sold me on the 170. Thank you nameloc01.

Offline nameloc01

• Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2014, 09:05:00 PM »
^ Wow, you just sold me on the 170. Thank you nameloc01.

I forgot to mention my mounts and T-bar are in there also.  ;)

you're welcome.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 09:07:08 PM by nameloc01 »
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2014, 09:38:26 AM »
Here's a pic of a Petrol PS602 bag I got a few months ago.  At first I was kind of bummed because I thought it was a bit too big but after using it a few times I don't really feel that way anymore.  I took the external pockets on the sides off.  The 680 fits a little better than the 60D since it's not as tall as the 60D but overall I really like how adjustable and accessible the Petrol is.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.135 seconds with 68 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com