Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I just made these....  (Read 6554 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re:I just made these....
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2004, 12:21:57 PM »
there are some classic exchanges on audioasylum about cable burnin.  I agree some of it is becoming accustomed to the sound, but I also buy the explanation that cable burnin is about the capacitance of the cable and build up of residual charge in the dialectric.  I read some postings where someone did a blind test using cooked and new cables and they could tell a difference.  YMMV

When you guys get ready to make interconnects, google for a cable recipe that uses packing tape and magnet wire.  Basicly you just run two parallel strands of magnet wire sandwiched between two pieces of packing tape.  They are super cheap, very easy to make and get really high praise from people who reported results.  There is a version that uses silver wire if you are into that.  

They are not shielded, so if you have alot of RFI you may not like them.  

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Willie T.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
    • My Site (down), well sometimes it is.
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2004, 02:57:59 PM »
start the braid from the middle and work your way out. this way you will have less cable to manage.

I have put in about 15 hours already and this little tip helps alot.  +T
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

Offline 1st set only

• Needs to get out more...
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2004, 11:13:17 AM »
yep i wish i new that tip prior to making mine
the show is over go home please.

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
    • My Site (down), well sometimes it is.
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2004, 12:53:22 PM »
Well, I finished the cables a few days back and i have let them burn-in for about two days.  But the first listen was amazing, much better than the monster cable I had.  The bass is so much deeper and tight , the mids were crisp and clear, and the highs are airy.  It's amazing what a difference cables make (I would never have imagined such a big change).  

Construction took about 25 hours, $25 (minus the bananas).
I started with 10 foot lengths that were ~9ft when finished.

http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2004, 10:04:37 AM »
Interesting thread.  You won't need to worry to much about shielding because as speaker cables, the signal level is not passing through any gain stages (where RF might get amplified).

It would take some crazy levels of RF to produce a sound on a speaker without amplification!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com