Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphone/Amp Rig  (Read 15167 times)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Re: Headphone/Amp Rig
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 03:36:58 PM »
The danger is the devices frying, not the fried state. Put 120V across it and see what happens.  That's a lot of heat that has to go somewhere.  OOK, nobody will notice until they plug it into a miswired or faulty outlet.  Those are rare, and these units probably aren't common enough to have found a bad outlet yet.

Also, all of the RCAs appear to be isolated, so there's no reason to further isolate the chassis from safety ground.

No, its status as also a preamp wouldn't change any of my design decisions.  There really isn't much difference between a headphone amp input stage and a mic amp input stage, except the mic input needs to be lower noise and higher gain*bandwidth.  That takes a small amount of additional current per channel--say, 3mA instead of 500uA.  Trivial compared with the required output power.

Thank you for the explanation. I will say that my previous living space was as bad as could be when it came to wiring so I either got lucky that the unit didnt cause any issues or the power conditioner in front of it is helping.

I can try and take a pic of my actual unit vs. the website pic used to see if there is any differences.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com