Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Post-Processing Software - Recommendations  (Read 5333 times)

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
Post-Processing Software - Recommendations
« on: February 04, 2014, 05:20:49 PM »
What do you all use for post-processing?  I am using, and am familiar with Audacity and also Soundforge 9.0 but I need to upgrade to software in which I can use the Izotope plugins.  I am looking at Soundforge 11 and Steinberg Wavelab 8.   I will be having my wife purchase as she is a teacher and can get a nice discount when buying new.

What do you pro's recommend and use?  Want something with a somewhat easy learning curve....I am pretty efficient with Audacy and SF9 now as it stands.

Thanks for the feedback!
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline obaaron

• Taperssection All-Star
Post-Processing Software - Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 05:57:02 PM »
What do yuou guys use/recommend for post-proc. software?  I need something where I can use the Izotope for dither/resample plugins and am currently using Audacity and SF9.0 neither of which can use Izotope.  I am looking at Wavelab 8 and SF11 which can what do you guys recommend?  My wife is a teacher so can get the academic discount on new software purchases.  need something with not too steep of a learning curve...any guidance appreciated!

Thanks in advance!AA
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Post-Processing Software - Recommendations
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 06:40:25 PM »
REAPER: http://www.reaper.fm/index.php

Best $60 I ever spent.  It also is fully functional as non-expiring "demo" but I happily paid them when the time came.  So there's no risk to you at least trying it for a while.

I use Izotope Ozone all the time with Reaper and it works great.  There's some good basic plugins that come with it also. 

As far as learning curve, I found it no more difficult to learn than any other serious DAW program, and it's capabilities equal to or in some cases beyond those of the "big boys" e.g. Pro Tools.  The big value point is there is one version of it, and it's not limited in any way.  By that I mean there are no price-tiered versions with different maximum track counts / sampling rates / plugins, etc.  You're only limited by your hardware.  It's constantly being updated, and there is a huge online community where you can find tutorials and/or ask questions.

BTW, you CAN host VSTs in Audacity by installing the optional "VST Enabler", but it is only semi-functional and I wouldn't bother.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:55:15 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 07:32:15 PM »
I use Samplitude, which it does most everything including arcane mastering stuff like surround and DVD-A burning.  It's object oriented editing is powerful and I like it because I can do everything in one program.

If I didn't use that I'd probably use Reaper.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Marshall7

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 07:45:47 PM »
I use Sound Forge Pro 10, Wave Lab 6, and iZotope 2 Advanced

Offline obaaron

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 11:03:47 PM »
sweet....thanks for the feedback gonna give Reaper a run!

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 01:07:30 AM »
REAPER: http://www.reaper.fm/index.php

Best $60 I ever spent.

I use Izotope Ozone all the time with Reaper and it works great.  There's some good basic plugins that come with it also. 

all of this.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline blg

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 09:26:38 PM »
I currently use Izotope Ozone 5 as a plug in with Adobe Audition since it's what I'm most comfortable using.  Although I would echo the sentiments above about Reaper. 
Schoeps MK41 |
Naiant Tinybox v2.5 w/OT
NBob Actives v2
Sony PCM-M10 x2
dime LMA

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 10:54:54 PM »
After many years of using successive versions of SoundForge, I switched to Adobe Audition mainly because of its multi-track mixing capabilities. A year or so later, I'm nearly to the point where I can use it as efficiently as I once used SF, but not quite.

Each program has its own underlying concepts, presuppositions and eccentricities; you have to adjust to them, because they won't adjust to you.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 11:35:04 PM »
Big problem with Audition and VST...there's no delay compensation. So when mixing in AA and you throw on some Ozone plug-ins, it'll go out of sync when monitoring. It'll line up when exporting, but still very annoying and a deal breaker for heavy mixing.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

kirk97132

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 01:26:11 PM »
Big problem with Audition and VST...there's no delay compensation. So when mixing in AA and you throw on some Ozone plug-ins, it'll go out of sync when monitoring. It'll line up when exporting, but still very annoying and a deal breaker for heavy mixing.
I am not sure why you are experiencing this but I use Audition and VST's heavily including OZONE and ALLOY and have never had a sync issue when mixing tracks including the current 37 track mix I am working on.  If you are using AA-3 then I suspect the problem is it can only utilize 4GB of RAM.  Not nearly enough memory for processor heavy appication.  AA CS5.5 and up can use 8 or 10 GB of ram and run very smooth even when I use the Audition effects that have warnings of possible not being able to monitor in real time due to the CPU usage. 

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 02:25:10 PM »
I've used AA3, AA6, and AA-CC. None of them utilized VST delay compensation, so not sure! In any case, I don't use Audition for mixing, much prefer Nuendo as a multitrack. Audition is better for wave editing, time alignment, etc.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

kirk97132

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 02:50:41 PM »
I've used AA3, AA6, and AA-CC. None of them utilized VST delay compensation, so not sure! In any case, I don't use Audition for mixing, much prefer Nuendo as a multitrack. Audition is better for wave editing, time alignment, etc.
i
Are you talking about live mixing?  If so I cannot speak to that.  We use Allen &Heath ilive desk for shows.  As this was posted in post production I am assuming that you are not using Audition to record the tracks.  Using it as A DAW for recording I would expect latency issues.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 04:29:19 PM »
I like Steinberg WaveLab and CuBase best and I use the them almost exclusively.

But, if you are on a tight budget Adobe Audition works very well for the type of editing you would typically do as a taper. I find it easy to work with.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline obaaron

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 05:24:45 PM »
actually...I think CuBase came with my m10 if im not mistaken...or my zoom I'll have to look.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com