Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: soft show, loud applause, not sure what to do  (Read 7934 times)

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: soft show, loud applause, not sure what to do
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 06:32:31 PM »
So...
Did you finish up your work on this? How'd it come out?
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 01:36:05 PM »
I've been messing around in Sound Forge with the click and crackle repair tool using the "for manually fixing small selections" preset. It seems to work better when you zoom in on the clapping sections and select the area you are going to repair. 

Agree about Sony's click and crackle in the "smalls sections" setting.  It really is for small sections and not the whole file.

I don't see this option in SF 8, what version do guys have?

Also curious as to what the OP got for finished results....?

Offline kubacheck

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My Flickr site
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 06:27:58 PM »
for the uninitiated, when some of you say to "set a hard limit", what exactly do you do to achieve that??.... I've got a recording with clapping that starts before the song ends, so the envelope tool won't work so well, but I want to raise the levels of the music at least to the level of the applause, if that's possible.....

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 01:01:54 AM »
for the uninitiated, when some of you say to "set a hard limit", what exactly do you do to achieve that??.... I've got a recording with clapping that starts before the song ends, so the envelope tool won't work so well, but I want to raise the levels of the music at least to the level of the applause, if that's possible.....

Try using the envelope tool to get most of the clapping lower, then use the hard limiter on just the section of clapping that starts before the song ends and when the song ends.
Make any sense?
I use a combination of gain envelope, compression, hard limiting and individual clap removal to do these types of problems.

Here's a screenshot of a small sample that has been "hard limited"

music>mics>pre>recorder

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 09:54:48 AM »
I have a preset that hard limits to -10db for this. I would lower that number to -4 or so if the music was louder, as with any editing, save the original unedited, experiment with short segments as per above, see what you think. For shows where the audience waits for the end of the music before applause, I always use the envelope, either after a lesser hard limit or in lieu of one. I save every show without any edits at all, raw files, then mess with copies only.

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 11:34:55 PM »
One tactic I've used in Audacity is to use the "auto duck" function. It's a bit of a hack: I create a separate audio track with a continuous tone and mute it, and then use auto duck to drop the applause level to something manageable. Once I've ducked all of the applause, I can delete the tone track.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com